Rob Weir | 1 May 00:08 2012
Picon

Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?

http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html

And today the vote to approve the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release ends.

OpenOffice.org 1.0 took the community 18 months to produce.   AOO 3.4
was a fast effort, in comparison.

Here's to the next decade of OpenOffice!

-Rob

Kay Schenk | 1 May 00:15 2012
Picon

Re: Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

On 04/30/2012 03:08 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?

now -- THIS is a fun little factoid! :)

I started using openoffice.org in 2001, but I guess it was *before* the
1.0 release.

> http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html
>
> And today the vote to approve the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release ends.
>
> OpenOffice.org 1.0 took the community 18 months to produce.   AOO 3.4
> was a fast effort, in comparison.
>
> Here's to the next decade of OpenOffice!
>
> -Rob

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

(Continue reading)

Marcus (OOo | 1 May 00:49 2012
Picon

Re: Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Wow, really great find. :-)

Thanks

Marcus

Am 05/01/2012 12:08 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html
>
> And today the vote to approve the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release ends.
>
> OpenOffice.org 1.0 took the community 18 months to produce.   AOO 3.4
> was a fast effort, in comparison.
>
> Here's to the next decade of OpenOffice!
>
> -Rob

Ma Yong Lin | 1 May 01:34 2012
Picon

Re: Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Wow, a real new start

发自我的 iPad

在 2012-5-1,上午6:49,"Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.mail <at> wtnet.de> 写道:

> Wow, really great find. :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcus
>

> Am 05/01/2012 12:08 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html
>>
>> And today the vote to approve the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release ends.
>>
>> OpenOffice.org 1.0 took the community 18 months to produce.   AOO 3.4
>> was a fast effort, in comparison.
>>
>> Here's to the next decade of OpenOffice!
>>
>> -Rob

Donald Harbison | 1 May 03:19 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Rob Weir <robweir <at> apache.org> wrote:

> Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html
>
> And today the vote to approve the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release ends.
>
> OpenOffice.org 1.0 took the community 18 months to produce.   AOO 3.4
> was a fast effort, in comparison.
>
> Here's to the next decade of OpenOffice!

Absolutely, we're just getting started.

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

> -Rob

Nancy K | 1 May 05:14 2012
Picon

Re: Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Golly, a BIRTHDAY - I downloaded a free trial Illustrator and worked this up really quickly.  It just
didn't seem right not to attempt something for a 10 year old! I read that Apache celebrated their birthday
in February (born 1995)
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/OpenOfficeBookCover_A.svg

Nancy

     Nancy      Web Design
Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
Video courses on SEO, CMS,
Design and Software Courses

________________________________
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Rob Weir <robweir <at> apache.org> wrote:

> Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html
>
> And today the vote to approve the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release ends.
>
> OpenOffice.org 1.0 took the community 18 months to produce.   AOO 3.4
(Continue reading)

Nancy K | 1 May 05:15 2012
Picon

Ref cover sheet attempt and Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Golly, a BIRTHDAY - I downloaded a free trial Illustrator and worked this up really quickly.  It just
didn't seem right not to attempt something for a 10 year old! I read that Apache celebrated their birthday
in February (born 1995)
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/OpenOfficeBookCover_A.svg

Nancy

     Nancy      Web Design
Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
Video courses on SEO, CMS,
Design and Software Courses

________________________________
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Rob Weir <robweir <at> apache.org> wrote:

> Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html

(Continue reading)

Rob Weir | 1 May 16:13 2012
Picon

Re: Ref cover sheet attempt and Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Nancy K <nancythirteen <at> yahoo.com> wrote:

> Golly, a BIRTHDAY - I downloaded a free trial Illustrator and worked this up really quickly.  It just
didn't seem right not to attempt something for a 10 year old! I read that Apache celebrated their birthday
in February (born 1995)
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/OpenOfficeBookCover_A.svg

Wow, this is very nice, Nancy.  I like what you did with the larger
wings at the top.

> Nancy
>

>      Nancy      Web Design
> Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
> Video courses on SEO, CMS,
> Design and Software Courses
>

> ________________________________

Juergen Schmidt | 1 May 18:13 2012

On Tuesday, 1. May 2012 at 16:13, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Nancy K <nancythirteen <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Golly, a BIRTHDAY - I downloaded a free trial Illustrator and worked this up really quickly.  It just
didn't seem right not to attempt something for a 10 year old! I read that Apache celebrated their birthday
in February (born 1995)
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/OpenOfficeBookCover_A.svg
> >

> Wow, this is very nice, Nancy. I like what you did with the larger
> wings at the top.

Indeed nice

Juergen

> > Nancy
> >

> >      Nancy      Web Design
> > Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
> > Video courses on SEO, CMS,
> > Design and Software Courses

(Continue reading)

Kay Schenk | 1 May 18:16 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Nancy K <nancythirteen <at> yahoo.com> wrote:

> Golly, a BIRTHDAY - I downloaded a free trial Illustrator and worked this
> up really quickly.  It just didn't seem right not to attempt something for
> a 10 year old! I read that Apache celebrated their birthday in February
> (born 1995)
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/OpenOfficeBookCover_A.svg
>

> Nancy
>

>      Nancy      Web Design
> Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
> Video courses on SEO, CMS,
> Design and Software Courses

This IS very nice...maybe you could work with Jean on artwork for the new
User's Guide!

(Continue reading)

Kevin Grignon | 1 May 07:07 2012
Picon

Re: Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Hey all,

Folklore is an important part of any sustainable community, we should
celebrate and promote this milestone.

The anniversary could give our marketing push for 3.4 some great visibility.

Finally, we can use the narrative as an opportunity for people to reflect
on how they have used our product over the past years, and invite them to
tell us how they would expect to use OpenOffice in the next ten years.

UX could blog on this topic to start the conversation. I'll put it on my
list.

Some thoughts.

Regards,
Kevin