Emmanuel Engelhart | 5 Feb 12:33 2012

Status & Future of the project

Dear openZIM hackers,

our project is little bit in hibernation. Although the growing interest
for offline readers and offline free storage format, only a few things
were achieved on our side in 2011.

In 2011, we made our openZIM meeting during Wikimania in Haifa and the
majority of the audience was composed from new-comers. The consequence
was that we did not have spoken a lot about tech. but more about offline
in general. So this was a successful first offline meeting, but not a so
successful openZIM meeting. In the future, we will have certainly
different meetings for general offline discussions and for technical
ones. On the reader side, Kiwix had in 2011 around 150% of growth,
wikionboard was released in the Symbian app. store, we have the
prototype of a decoding library in Java. pyzim is in prod. on all
Wikimedia Web sites (in the Mediawiki:Collection extension).

So the format is really successful an helps every days thousands of
people to access to Free knowledge offline. This show us that both, the
format and the reference implementation are good. Does it mean that we
have finished? Do we still have features to implement? What should we
do? What are our available resources?

Currently, the situation is like following: we still have things to
implement in the zimlib which are described in the format like native
category handling or templating. We also have long standing things to
implement like everything necessary to provide efficient incremental
updates (zimdiff/zimpatch). Around the format we should also work on the
packaging and provide additional tools like for example a php binding or
a binary to transform a static directory of HTML in a ZIM file (without
(Continue reading)

Tommi Mäkitalo | 5 Feb 23:55 2012

Re: Status & Future of the project

Hi,

I just want to say I'm still alive. But I had a very busy last year and had no time to do anything for openZIM. But it looks like this year might get easier for me and I am willing to spend some time into further development of zimlib.

Tommi

Dear openZIM hackers, our project is little bit in hibernation. Although the growing interest for offline readers and offline free storage format, only a few things were achieved on our side in 2011. In 2011, we made our openZIM meeting during Wikimania in Haifa and the majority of the audience was composed from new-comers. The consequence was that we did not have spoken a lot about tech. but more about offline in general. So this was a successful first offline meeting, but not a so successful openZIM meeting. In the future, we will have certainly different meetings for general offline discussions and for technical ones. On the reader side, Kiwix had in 2011 around 150% of growth, wikionboard was released in the Symbian app. store, we have the prototype of a decoding library in Java. pyzim is in prod. on all Wikimedia Web sites (in the Mediawiki:Collection extension). So the format is really successful an helps every days thousands of people to access to Free knowledge offline. This show us that both, the format and the reference implementation are good. Does it mean that we have finished? Do we still have features to implement? What should we do? What are our available resources? Currently, the situation is like following: we still have things to implement in the zimlib which are described in the format like native category handling or templating. We also have long standing things to implement like everything necessary to provide efficient incremental updates (zimdiff/zimpatch). Around the format we should also work on the packaging and provide additional tools like for example a php binding or a binary to transform a static directory of HTML in a ZIM file (without using a DB). I'm sure this list is not exhaustive. Like we can see, the problem is not the work to do. The problem is on the side of the resources. Manuel & Tommi had/have both less available time for openZIM and they were both the key people for logistic and code writing. On the accounting side, WMCH, which was our traditional sponsor, asked us to find other financial sponsors. On my side I have more time than in 2011 and I proposed myself to help Manuel in the organizing work ; I could also certainly do part of the coding work. Christian is also there and continues his work on mobile readers. We could alos find new external contributors - on a paid or volunteer base. On the financial side, I think that if we have a clear project and reasonable wishes, we could certainly get help from the WMF or Chapters. I think, it does not make sense to keep costs running and project open if nothing happens. So wee need to discuss, take decisions and make next step. Your opinion matters, please share it! Regards Emmanuel

    Hi,<br><br>
    I just want to say I'm still alive. But I had a very busy last year
    and had no time to do anything for openZIM. But it looks like this
    year might get easier for me and I am willing to spend some time
    into further development of zimlib.<br><br>
    Tommi<br><br>
[...]

the side of the resources. Manuel &amp; Tommi had/have both less available
[...]

dev-l mailing list
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:dev-l@...">dev-l@...</a>

Manuel Schneider | 6 Feb 07:41 2012
Picon

Re: Status & Future of the project

Very good to hear!

My suggestion is to have a meeting at LinuxTag in Berlin this year (May
23rd - 26th). I am currently trying to set up a joint booth of the
german-speaking Wikimedias (AT/CH/DE) which could act as a showroom for
openZIM (and other projects).

As Emmanuel already indicated I have no budget for 2012. As the project
appeared dead it didn't make sense to me to just put down numbers and
going to find a sponsor when we don't even concluded on what we want to
do 2012 and there is no security that the sponsor's money would actually
being used to make progress in the offline project.

This means I can't provide travel costs for a trip to Berlin. On the
other hand I assume that Tommi will be there anyway with his tntnet
project and Emmanuel might want to help on the Wikimedia booth as a
representative of Wikimedia CH.

Any comments?

/Manuel

Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch
rupert THURNER | 6 Feb 19:45 2012
Picon

Re: Status & Future of the project

how much budget would be reasonable for this year?

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch
Very good to hear!<br><br>
My suggestion is to have a meeting at LinuxTag in Berlin this year (May<br>
23rd - 26th). I am currently trying to set up a joint booth of the<br>
german-speaking Wikimedias (AT/CH/DE) which could act as a showroom for<br>
openZIM (and other projects).<br><br>
As Emmanuel already indicated I have no budget for 2012. As the project<br>
appeared dead it didn't make sense to me to just put down numbers and<br>
going to find a sponsor when we don't even concluded on what we want to<br>
do 2012 and there is no security that the sponsor's money would actually<br>
being used to make progress in the offline project.<br><br>
This means I can't provide travel costs for a trip to Berlin. On the<br>
other hand I assume that Tommi will be there anyway with his tntnet<br>
project and Emmanuel might want to help on the Wikimedia booth as a<br>
representative of Wikimedia CH.<br><br>
/Manuel<br>
--<br>
Regards<br>
Manuel Schneider<br><br>
Wikimedia CH - Verein zur F&ouml;rderung Freien Wissens<br>
Christian Pühringer | 6 Feb 21:50 2012

Re: Status & Future of the project

Hi,

I agree that - while pretty stable - there is still some room for improvement of
the zimlib.
E.g. better tools, incremental updates (very nice, although also quite a challenge
regarding provisioning of the updates).  Furthermore, a location based index
would be very welcome
(To allow finding articles close to a location).

Regardless of this, I still believe that the most critical point for the
continued success of
the zim format, and offline wikipedia in general, is to have an automatic
wikipedia dump in place.
See Emmanuel's proposal
(http://www.kiwix.org/index.php/Mediawiki_DumpHTML_extension_improvement).
I'd really hope that this can be implemented in the course of this year.

I very much appreciate if there is a zim-meeting this year.  Even so I cannot
promise yet
that I can attend a zim-meeting at Linux-Tag in Berlin. Anyway, I'd acclaim if
we find a
  sponsor, who covers parts of the travel costs.

Regarding my work on zim mobile phone apps, these are my planned next steps:

1. Release WikiOnBoard 2 for Symbian^3
     Basically finished, except for translation.
     Should be available in Nokia Store in the course of this month.
     Main difference is the significantly improved user interface.
     See http://cip.github.com/WikiOnBoard/ for some screenshots.

     Note, that this new version has basically been created in the course
     of the attempt to implement a Meego version of WikiOnBoard. While
     there is basically a working Meego Version as well, it has some major
     usability issues (i.p. scrolling in article) which I cannot fix with
     reasonable effort. Therefore unfortunately I've currently no plans to
     release a Meego version.

2. Wikipedia-Android-App-Zim-Support
     I did  some work on this last September.
     As now the official Wikipedia-App is released,
     I think it's a good moment to continue working on the zim integration.
    In addition I hope that there will be an english wikipedia zim dump without
    pictures available soon (Emmanuel, any news on this topic?).  The
    picture loading performance issue is then much less relevant.
    However, I hope that I can find a solution for the picture performance at least
    for Android 4 ICS.

Best regards,
Christian

Gmane