Julian Peterson | 30 Aug 18:08 2012
Picon

Re: [Cs-dev] A last request for iOS 5.18

Hi Steven.

I've been playing with iPhone audio independent of csound.  The default audio output is through the
headphones or earpiece (as if on a phone call), which is much quieter than the speaker at the bottom of the
unit.  Here's the property to change that:

UInt32 doChangeDefaultRoute = 1;
    AudioSessionSetProperty(kAudioSessionProperty_OverrideCategoryDefaultToSpeaker,
sizeof(doChangeDefaultRoute), &doChangeDefaultRoute);

>> 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13 and 14 all work fine on the iPhone as long as you use
>> through earphones. This is a problem for apps that use iPhone speakers. Is there
>> a way to fix that ? I tried a few things in CsoundObj.m
>
> I'm currently testing just on simulators.  We have some hardware
> devices to test on campus but I'm not in possession of one at the
> moment.  The examples are working here on the iPhone and iPad
> simulator.

Steven Yi | 30 Aug 18:53 2012
Picon

Re: [Cs-dev] A last request for iOS 5.18

Hi Julian,

This seems like an app-by-app preference for the app designer to
choose, yes?  I think we're alright to default to the headphones with
the Csound iOS Examples application, and use the speakers if
headphones are not available.  I guess though that this could be added
as a property of CsoundObj (i.e. csoundObj.defaultToHeadphone = YES;),
and then instantiation of the audio driver could apply the code.

Did I understand that correctly and is that what you were thinking?

Thanks!
steven

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Julian Peterson
<julianbpeterson <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Steven.
>
> I've been playing with iPhone audio independent of csound.  The default audio output is through the
headphones or earpiece (as if on a phone call), which is much quieter than the speaker at the bottom of the
unit.  Here's the property to change that:

> UInt32 doChangeDefaultRoute = 1;
>     AudioSessionSetProperty(kAudioSessionProperty_OverrideCategoryDefaultToSpeaker,
sizeof(doChangeDefaultRoute), &doChangeDefaultRoute);

Thomas Hass | 30 Aug 20:09 2012

Re: [Cs-dev] A last request for iOS 5.18

Just to quickly chime in, the Audio Session C API is being deprecated in iOS 6.  Everything is being migrated
to the Obj-C interface.  I'm quite swamped at the moment, but I would be willing to update and test the SDK in
the future.  Between my wife and I, we have an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iPad 3.

-Thomas

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 30, 2012, at 12:53 PM, Steven Yi <stevenyi <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Julian,
>
> This seems like an app-by-app preference for the app designer to
> choose, yes?  I think we're alright to default to the headphones with
> the Csound iOS Examples application, and use the speakers if
> headphones are not available.  I guess though that this could be added
> as a property of CsoundObj (i.e. csoundObj.defaultToHeadphone = YES;),
> and then instantiation of the audio driver could apply the code.
>
> Did I understand that correctly and is that what you were thinking?
>
> Thanks!
> steven
>
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Julian Peterson
> <julianbpeterson <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Steven.
>>
>> I've been playing with iPhone audio independent of csound.  The default audio output is through the
headphones or earpiece (as if on a phone call), which is much quieter than the speaker at the bottom of the
(Continue reading)

Victor | 30 Aug 21:23 2012
Picon

Re: [Cs-dev] A last request for iOS 5.18

Ok, so someone will need to translate the C code into objective C.
Not me as I do not understand the language.

Also, this appears to be the end of the road for me with iOS, as it looks like they are ditching the C language.  I
wonder if soon we will need a Swig wrapper for the API in objective C.

Victor
On 30 Aug 2012, at 19:09, Thomas Hass <thass <at> berklee.edu> wrote:

> Just to quickly chime in, the Audio Session C API is being deprecated in iOS 6.  Everything is being migrated
to the Obj-C interface.  I'm quite swamped at the moment, but I would be willing to update and test the SDK in
the future.  Between my wife and I, we have an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iPad 3.

> -Thomas
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 30, 2012, at 12:53 PM, Steven Yi <stevenyi <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> This seems like an app-by-app preference for the app designer to
>> choose, yes?  I think we're alright to default to the headphones with
>> the Csound iOS Examples application, and use the speakers if
>> headphones are not available.  I guess though that this could be added
>> as a property of CsoundObj (i.e. csoundObj.defaultToHeadphone = YES;),
>> and then instantiation of the audio driver could apply the code.
>>
>> Did I understand that correctly and is that what you were thinking?

(Continue reading)

Thomas Hass | 31 Aug 00:08 2012

Re: [Cs-dev] A last request for iOS 5.18

I forgot to mention that I also have access to an iPad 1, so I can test on that too.  I didn't mean to say that CoreAudio as a whole is being moved to Obj-C, just the AudioSession API which constitutes a very small portion of the CsoundiOS SDK.

-Thomas