Carlos Pita | 13 Nov 09:21 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3

I found a recent related thread here:

http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=961480

Regards
-Carlos

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I've compiled ecasound 2.5.2 and i'm running this simple test:

ecasound -i my_file.wav -o my_file2.wav

That went fine. Same for other output formats, like flac or aiff. But when the turn comes to mp3, I get the output:

- [ Engine init - Driver start ] -----------------------------------------------
(eca-engine) Request start
(audioio-mp3) Starting to encode my_file2.mp3 with lame.
(audioio-forked-stream) Fork child-for-write: 'lame -b 128 -s 44.10 -x -S - %f'
(eca-engine) starting engine operation!
(audioio-mp3) Attempt to write after child process has terminated.
(eca-engine) output error - stop
(eca-engine) stopping engine operation!
(eca-engine) Signaling stop
(eca-engine) Signaling exit
(eca-engine) WARNING: An output object has raised an error! Possible causes: Out
... of disk space, permission denied, unable to launch external applications needed in
... processing, etc.
(eca-engine) Engine state when finishing: 4
(eca-control-base) Engine thread 14475 will exit.

I tried some 2.4.x versions of ecasound with the same result. My lame version is 3.98.2.

Any ideas?

Best regards
-Carlos

Pablo Seibelt | Sicarul | 13 Nov 15:20 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3

From personal experience, i recommend you to install ecasound from source, the lastest version, and remember to install mpg123 if you want to decode mp3 (sudo apt-get install mpg123 or sudo apt-get install mpg321, they are the same in my experience)

Good luck Carlos!
Bye

[...]

_________
Pablo Seibelt - Alias: "Sicarul"
Carlos Pita | 13 Nov 16:52 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3

From personal experience, i recommend you to install ecasound from source, the lastest version, and remember to install

That's what I did, for latest stable release. I will give a try to the latest repository revision.

mpg123 if you want to decode mp3 (sudo apt-get install mpg123 or sudo apt-get install mpg321, they are the same in my experience)

I've mpg123 installed (but by pacman -S mpg123 :) ), anyway my problem is with encoding mp3, not with decoding.

Regards
-Carlos

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas | 13 Nov 17:09 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3

That's what I did, for latest stable release. I will give a try to the latest repository revision.

mpg123 if you want to decode mp3 (sudo apt-get install mpg123 or sudo apt-get install mpg321, they are the same in my experience)

I've mpg123 installed (but by pacman -S mpg123 :) ), anyway my problem is with encoding mp3, not with decoding.

Ecasound uses lame to encode mp3. Have you installed lame?.
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/lame/

Regards,
Pedro

Carlos Pita | 13 Nov 17:13 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3

Ecasound uses lame to encode mp3. Have you installed lame?.
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/lame/

Of course. The exact version is given in my first post.

Regards
-Carlos

Carl Welch | 13 Nov 18:40 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to build a server-side app that will take multiple mp3 and
mix them down to one single file. I was planning on using the php
version of ecasound, but noticed it was many years old. After finally
finding the newest version of ecasound, I was bummed to find there was
no way to build a php extension or shared object (not that I even know
how to do that) - I did notice that there was Rubyecasound. Now, I
have zero experience with ruby. Is there any tutorials on how to
implement that? or is there an easier way to do deal with ecasound on
the server-side?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? PLEASE?!?!

thank you, in advance.

Carl Welch
http://www.carlwelch.com
http://www.jointjam.com
carlwelchdesign <at> gmail.com
805.403.4819

Sergei Steshenko | 13 Nov 21:55 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3

> I am hoping to build a server-side app that will take
> multiple mp3 and
> mix them down to one single file. I was planning on using
> the php
> version of ecasound, but noticed it was many years old.
> After finally
> finding the newest version of ecasound, I was bummed to
> find there was
> no way to build a php extension or shared object (not that
> I even know
> how to do that) - I did notice that there was Rubyecasound.
> Now, I
> have zero experience with ruby. Is there any tutorials on
> how to
> implement that? or is there an easier way to do deal with
> ecasound on
> the server-side?
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction? PLEASE?!?!
>
> thank you, in advance.
> --
> Carl Welch
> http://www.carlwelch.com
> http://www.jointjam.com
> carlwelchdesign <at> gmail.com
> 805.403.4819

> Developer's challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK
> & win great prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
> anywhere in the world

Is there a 'system' function in PHP - similar to the one in "C"/Perl ?

If yes, what else do you need ?

Regards,
  Sergei.

Carl Welch | 13 Nov 22:14 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3

Thank you Sergie.

Actually I have one more question - also sorry for hijacking this
thread... did not mean to do that at all...

So, I uploaded ecasound to my server.
I started off with using "sh ./configure" and got the following:

Following packages are now configured:
ecasound:               yes (ecasound,libecasound,libecasoundc)
ecatools:               yes
pyecasound:             yes (as Python C extension module)
rubyecasound:           yes
libkvutils:             yes
Compiler options:
CFLAGS:                  -ffast-math -fstrict-aliasing -funroll-loops -
DNDEBUG -DENABLE_DBC -g -O2
CXXFLAGS:                -ffast-math -fstrict-aliasing -funroll-loops -
DNDEBUG -DENABLE_DBC -g -O2
CPPFLAGS:                -D_REENTRANT
LDFLAGS:
Following features were selected:
Debugging info:         no
Effects enabled:        yes
Largefile support:      no
Termcap:                ncurses
Use system readline:    yes
Use curses interface:   yes
Libaudiofile:           no
Libsndfile:             no
ALSA support:           no
OSS support:            yes
aRts support:           no
./configure: line 28606: 9: command not found
Libsamplerate support   no
Following directories are used:
Directory prefix:       /usr/local
Python include dir:     /usr/include/python2.3
Python module dir:      NO
Ruby module dir:        /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
readline includes:      /usr/include/readline
Extra headers:
Extra libs:
Type 'make' to compile the package and 'make install' to install.
Remember to use GNU Make, often installed as 'gmake'.
BUT
when I try make install, I get errors:

[carlwelc <at> host257 ecasound-2.5.2]$ make install
Making install in kvutils
make[1]: Entering directory `/home2/carlwelc/ecasound-2.5.2/kvutils'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home2/carlwelc/ecasound-2.5.2/kvutils'
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib"
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local': Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home2/carlwelc/ecasound-2.5.2/kvutils'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home2/carlwelc/ecasound-2.5.2/kvutils'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

On Nov 13, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> Is there a 'system' function in PHP - similar to the one in "C"/Perl ?
>
> If yes, what else do you need ?
>
> Regards,
>  Sergei.

Carl Welch
http://www.carlwelch.com
http://www.jointjam.com
carlwelchdesign <at> gmail.com
805.403.4819

Tomás Arribas | 13 Nov 22:36 2008

Re: Bug saving to mp3

2008/11/13 Carl Welch <carlwelchdesign <at> gmail.com>:
> BUT
> when I try make install, I get errors:
>
> [carlwelc <at> host257 ecasound-2.5.2]$ make install
> Making install in kvutils
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home2/carlwelc/ecasound-2.5.2/kvutils'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home2/carlwelc/ecasound-2.5.2/kvutils'
> test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib"
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local': Permission denied
> make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home2/carlwelc/ecasound-2.5.2/kvutils'
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home2/carlwelc/ecasound-2.5.2/kvutils'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

You must have root privileges for the "make install" to work. Or you
can try a local installation in your home directory if you can't be
root, something like "./configure --prefix=/home/user/apps" should
make the installation to work in home/user/apps or whatever you
choose.

Sergei Steshenko | 13 Nov 22:57 2008
Picon

Re: Bug saving to mp3