Perdie Perduta | 19 Apr 12:10 2012
Picon

How do I start with building LMMS on windows?

I'm new to LMMS and started exploring the triple oscillator. I
immediately ran into limitations and would love to start developing
some ideas of my own. You can see what I'm trying to do in my 4 minute
youtube here http://youtu.be/TDtGZWo5dTs

I downloaded the LMMS source code and would love to know if it is
possible to do development on Windows platform?  I have programmed in
C++ before and do understand the language... well some of it anyway,
but I just need some help so I can compile it all and I am sure I will
work it out from there.

~~~ PEr aRDUa ad asTrA ~~~
(Through adversity to the stars)

http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-d2dvs2
Alexander Liebendorfer | 19 Apr 13:27 2012
Picon

Re: How do I start with building LMMS on windows?

It's certainly possible, whether it's easy is another question.
An absolute must-have is MinGW, which has most of the really useful
linux things for windows. You need it, or Cygwin, although I hear that
MinGW was better.
It'll come included with a compiler, make, cmake and git, among other things.
As an IDE, I personally use Code::Blocks and recommend it for C++. On
the other hand, I haven't worked on something this size seriously yet,
but it's still a widely respected C/C++ IDE with good compatibility
for windows.

The source is on github, which means to manage it it's useful to know
how to use git. There are many guides lying around for that, but I'm
not sure how much you know about it already.

To compile, there's this guide:
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Compiling_LMMS
If you ever get it working manually, I also have a bash file I use to
make it easier: https://gist.github.com/2420332
This is for linux, but replacing "rm" with the windows equivalent for
deleting should make it work.

It's sort of hard to know what you need help with, could you try
following that wiki guide and then asking with specific errors?

PS: Welcome!
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Perdie Perduta <rsperduta <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to LMMS and started exploring the triple oscillator. I
> immediately ran into limitations and would love to start developing
> some ideas of my own. You can see what I'm trying to do in my 4 minute
> youtube here http://youtu.be/TDtGZWo5dTs
(Continue reading)

Rob Davies | 19 Apr 14:42 2012
Picon

Re: How do I start with building LMMS on windows?

Hi Perdie,

You might want to take a look into ZynAddSubFX, which comes bundled
with lmms (also available as a standalone program) before you decide
whether to jump into modifying Tripple Oscillator.
I'm fairly sure it would be able to crease an initial hiss and a
raising tone. It has separate controls for each voice, tone within the
voice and so on.
Meanwhile, Tripple Oscillator is just that - a tripple oscilator. Its
virtue lies in its simplicity. One thing perhaps worth looking into,
however, if you're looking to do some source code hacking, is closer
integration between ZynAddSubFX.

Hope this helps,

Rob

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Alexander Liebendorfer
<alex.liebendorf <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> It's certainly possible, whether it's easy is another question.
> An absolute must-have is MinGW, which has most of the really useful
> linux things for windows. You need it, or Cygwin, although I hear that
> MinGW was better.
> It'll come included with a compiler, make, cmake and git, among other things.
> As an IDE, I personally use Code::Blocks and recommend it for C++. On
> the other hand, I haven't worked on something this size seriously yet,
> but it's still a widely respected C/C++ IDE with good compatibility
> for windows.
>
> The source is on github, which means to manage it it's useful to know
(Continue reading)

Tobias Doerffel | 19 Apr 20:53 2012
Picon

Re: How do I start with building LMMS on windows?

Hi,

2012/4/19 Perdie Perduta <rsperduta <at> gmail.com>:
> I downloaded the LMMS source code and would love to know if it is
> possible to do development on Windows platform?  I have programmed in
> C++ before and do understand the language... well some of it anyway,
> but I just need some help so I can compile it all and I am sure I will
> work it out from there.

LMMS usually is cross-compiled on Linux. You find all required
packages on https://launchpad.net/~tobydox/+archive/mingw/+packages
(use the lucid packages, the precise packages are not finished yet).
After installing these you can run "../build_mingw32" (the script
delivered with LMMS sources) from within a build subdirectory for
configuring and then "make" for building. "make package" generates an
installer (make sure to have nsis installed).

Toby