Abrolag | 7 Nov 22:48 2010

Program Change problem

I think this has been mentioned before, but has only recently (well today
actually) become relevant to me.

It seems that Rosegarden can only do a program change at the start of a piece,
and I need to change a voice at 16 bars, then again at 32.

This is apparent on the latest release, the older one, and SVN 12126.

I was under the impression that the original version could do this, but it's a
long time ago so I could very easily be wrong :)

Is this a bug, or is a long-standing implementation 'hole'?

Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk
Say you have a poem and I have a tune.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/SAP-dev2dev
Abrolag | 8 Nov 19:42 2010

Re: Program Change problem - update

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 21:48:19 +0000
Abrolag <abrolag@...> wrote:

> I think this has been mentioned before, but has only recently (well today
> actually) become relevant to me.
>
> It seems that Rosegarden can only do a program change at the start of a piece,
> and I need to change a voice at 16 bars, then again at 32.
>
> This is apparent on the latest release, the older one, and SVN 12126.
>
> I was under the impression that the original version could do this, but it's a
> long time ago so I could very easily be wrong :)
>
> Is this a bug, or is a long-standing implementation 'hole'?

It seems I *can* do this if I first send a bank change (controller 32) on
channel 1 before doing the program change on the channel I want to actually
change.

This is very exciting as Cal has managed to get the development version
of Yoshimi to change both banks and voice patches on the fly, silently, while
other channels are sounding !!!

There are some rough spots in Yoshimi yet so I'm not sure how this will all
interface with Rosegarden. It appears there is some ambiguity in the MIDI spec
- bet that surprises you.

Will J Godfrey