confucion | 3 Mar 11:48 2006
Picon

Re: limiter feature?

Chris Bagwell <chris <at> cnpbagwell.com> writes:

> I'm not really sure how best to do full volume mixing.  It would be easy
> enough to implement a limiter on the mixing (there is already limiter
> logic in the "vol" effect) but I'm not sure it would be much different
> then what we have today.

I overlooked the vol gain effect. I tried it and the limiter works since now I
don't get digital distortion in some parts of the mixed audio. But it's limiting
effect is not the best method. In fact, the current limiter works more like a
normalizing-limiter if there is such a thing. The way I think it works now is
that soxmix scans the peak volume of both files and then adjust other volume
relative to that summed peak.

##############
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE:

(-0.2) = a waveform exists and its peak is limited at -0.2dB
______ = silence

(BEFORE SOXMIX PROCESSING)

RUN soxmix file1.wav file2.wav mixdown.wav vol 1 type-dB: 0.02

it looks like:
(AFTER SOXMIX PROCESSING)