Mukund Sivaraman | 25 Mar 10:38 2009

License change discussion (with Alliance team)

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:58:09AM +0100, Ludovic Jacomme wrote:
> Worst of all, you change the license GPL V2 to V3 and you forgot to
> let alliance libraries in LGPL ! Who are you to change the license
> term of Alliance CAD tools ?

This is perfectly allowed under the terms of the GNU GPL and GNU LGPL
licenses under which Alliance is distributed. Please go through the
license texts here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

Specifically, because Alliance is distributed under "either version 2 of
the License, or (at your option) any later version", we are able to
use GNU GPLv3 with it.

Similarly, upgrading from LGPL to GPL is also allowed. It is considered
an upgrade by the FSF as GPL protects freedoms more :) We did this to
keep things more open than closed.

Also, the decision to change the license for libraries were made after
discussing two points:

1. We don't think many people are going to make tools which use Herb
libraries and actually re-distribute these. Some may make site-specific
tools, but this can be done with GNU GPL too.

2. Moving code around from tools to libraries and vice versa would
involve license considerations which we didn't want to deal with. We
plan to put functionality present in tools into libraries, so we can