Amos Leffler | 9 Mar 01:47 2011
Picon

[OMPI users] Problem running openmpi-1.4.3

Hi,
        I am trying to get openmpi-1.4.3 to run but am having trouble.
 It is run using SUSE-11.3 with Intel XE-2011 Composer C and Fortran
compilers.  The compilers installed without problems.  The openmpi
file was downloaded and unzipped and untarred.  The ./configure
command was run and it was found to be necessary to set CC=gcc and
CXX=g++.  The fortran F77 and F90 were set to ifort. The --prefix was
set to /usr.  The program appeared to compile properly but none of the
examples given would not compile.  The error messages are shown below:

linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpicc
hello_c.c =o hello_c
mpicc: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpiCC
hello_cxx.cc -o hello_cxx
mpiCC: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpif77
hello_f77.f -o hello_f77
mpif77: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpif90
hello_f90.f90 -o hello_f90
mpif90: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples

It is evident that the same error is present in all attempts to
compile but I don't know why it is absent.  Any help would be much
(Continue reading)

David Zhang | 9 Mar 02:06 2011
Picon

Re: [OMPI users] Problem running openmpi-1.4.3

you need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to contain the MPI libraries.  The more experienced MPI users in this mailing list would tell you what to include.

[...]

appreciated.

                                           Amos Leffler

David Zhang
University of California, San Diego
Ralph Castain | 9 Mar 02:07 2011

Re: [OMPI users] Problem running openmpi-1.4.3

You need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to where you installed openmpi.

On Mar 8, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Amos Leffler wrote:

> Hi,
>        I am trying to get openmpi-1.4.3 to run but am having trouble.
> It is run using SUSE-11.3 with Intel XE-2011 Composer C and Fortran
> compilers.  The compilers installed without problems.  The openmpi
> file was downloaded and unzipped and untarred.  The ./configure
> command was run and it was found to be necessary to set CC=gcc and
> CXX=g++.  The fortran F77 and F90 were set to ifort. The --prefix was
> set to /usr.  The program appeared to compile properly but none of the
> examples given would not compile.  The error messages are shown below:
>
> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpicc
> hello_c.c =o hello_c
> mpicc: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpiCC
> hello_cxx.cc -o hello_cxx
> mpiCC: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpif77
> hello_f77.f -o hello_f77
> mpif77: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpif90
> hello_f90.f90 -o hello_f90
> mpif90: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples
>
> It is evident that the same error is present in all attempts to
> compile but I don't know why it is absent.  Any help would be much
> appreciated.
>

>                                            Amos Leffler
Gus Correa | 9 Mar 02:30 2011

Ralph Castain wrote:
> You need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to where you installed openmpi.
>

> On Mar 8, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Amos Leffler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>        I am trying to get openmpi-1.4.3 to run but am having trouble.
>> It is run using SUSE-11.3 with Intel XE-2011 Composer C and Fortran
>> compilers.  The compilers installed without problems.  The openmpi
>> file was downloaded and unzipped and untarred.  The ./configure
>> command was run and it was found to be necessary to set CC=gcc and
>> CXX=g++.  The fortran F77 and F90 were set to ifort. The --prefix was
>> set to /usr.  The program appeared to compile properly but none of the
>> examples given would not compile.  The error messages are shown below:
>>
>> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpicc
>> hello_c.c =o hello_c
>> mpicc: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpiCC
>> hello_cxx.cc -o hello_cxx
>> mpiCC: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpif77
>> hello_f77.f -o hello_f77
>> mpif77: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples # mpif90
>> hello_f90.f90 -o hello_f90
>> mpif90: error while loading shared libraries: libopen-pal.so.0: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> linux-q2bz:/home/amosleffler/Downloads/openmpi-1.4.3/examples
>>
>> It is evident that the same error is present in all attempts to
>> compile but I don't know why it is absent.  Any help would be much
>> appreciated.
>>

>>                                            Amos Leffler

These FAQ detail what David and Ralph said:

http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#run-prereqs
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#adding-ompi-to-path

You can prepend or append (don't overwrite)
the OpenMPI library directory to your current LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
so as to keep he Intel ifort library path there also.

My two cents,
Gus Correa

Gmane