Dan | 27 Feb 21:35 2012
Picon

[Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

If the source of

* templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

would be changed to just

{$mail_trackerName} — {$mail_item_desc} {tr}was edited{/tr}

rather than what the source of the template is now, it would
out-of-the-box be possible to feed the notification mails to a Tiki
forum and have the mails that concern the same item all be collapsed in
the same thread (unless, of course, the mail_item_desc is changed).

I think that much of the information which is pressed into the subject
line by the current version of the source is redundant anyway because it
is all repeated in the body of the email!?

Note:
* The dash in the suggested source is an em-dash.
* The suggested source does deliberatly not make use of quotes, because
their correct graphic representation is i18n dependend.

Your thoughts?

– Dan

Marc Laporte | 27 Feb 22:17 2012

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

What does it say now?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Dan <dan.btown@...> wrote:
> If the source of
>
> * templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl
>
> would be changed to just
>
> {$mail_trackerName} — {$mail_item_desc} {tr}was edited{/tr}
>
> rather than what the source of the template is now, it would
> out-of-the-box be possible to feed the notification mails to a Tiki
> forum and have the mails that concern the same item all be collapsed in
> the same thread (unless, of course, the mail_item_desc is changed).
>
> I think that much of the information which is pressed into the subject
> line by the current version of the source is redundant anyway because it
> is all repeated in the body of the email!?
>
> Note:
> * The dash in the suggested source is an em-dash.
> * The suggested source does deliberatly not make use of quotes, because
> their correct graphic representation is i18n dependend.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> – Dan

Dan | 27 Feb 22:36 2012
Picon

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

The source?

In Tiki 8.3 it's:

"{$mail_trackerName}" {tr}item{/tr} "{$mail_item_desc}" {tr}was modified
at{/tr} {$server_name} {tr}by{/by} "{$user|username}"

Am 27.02.2012 22:17, schrieb Marc Laporte:
> What does it say now?
>

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Dan<dan.btown@...>  wrote:
>> If the source of
>>
>> * templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl
>>
>> would be changed to just
>>
>> {$mail_trackerName} — {$mail_item_desc} {tr}was edited{/tr}
>>
>> rather than what the source of the template is now, it would
>> out-of-the-box be possible to feed the notification mails to a Tiki
>> forum and have the mails that concern the same item all be collapsed in
>> the same thread (unless, of course, the mail_item_desc is changed).
>>
>> I think that much of the information which is pressed into the subject
>> line by the current version of the source is redundant anyway because it
>> is all repeated in the body of the email!?

(Continue reading)

Marc Laporte | 28 Feb 01:42 2012

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

server name is pretty useless

Who modified is nice info, but it's in the message indeed.

Threading for mails or forums is a good point, so I am OK with your
proposed changes.

What do other think?

On 2012-02-27 4:37 PM, "Dan" <dan.btown@...> wrote:

> The source?
>
> In Tiki 8.3 it's:
>
> "{$mail_trackerName}" {tr}item{/tr} "{$mail_item_desc}" {tr}was modified
> at{/tr} {$server_name} {tr}by{/by} "{$user|username}"
>

> Am 27.02.2012 22:17, schrieb Marc Laporte:
> > What does it say now?
> >

> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Dan<dan.btown@...>  wrote:
> >> If the source of

(Continue reading)

geoff@enmore | 28 Feb 10:52 2012

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source oftracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

I've always thought that the standard mail .tpl's were never quite right for
me - so I've routinely created customised versions and putting the
customised mail folder under templates/styles/ so that they are always
invoked even after upgrades etc.

Might make sense to try it that way for a while until a permanent change to
the standard is considered?

Cheers

geoff

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source oftracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

+1

should be done using the variable references in {tr} anyway.

luci

On 28.2.2012 10:52, geoff <at> enmore wrote:
> I've always thought that the standard mail .tpl's were never quite right for
> me - so I've routinely created customised versions and putting the
> customised mail folder under templates/styles/ so that they are always
> invoked even after upgrades etc.
>
> Might make sense to try it that way for a while until a permanent change to
> the standard is considered?
>
> Cheers
>
> geoff

Dan | 29 Feb 20:38 2012
Picon

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

After some more experimentation on one of the Tiki sites I'm involded
with, I'd say the source should be

{$mail_trackerName} — {$mail_itemId} · {$mail_item_desc} {tr}was edited{/tr}

so as to avoid by adding $mail_itemId that edit notifications for
different tracker items which coincidally share the same $mail_item_desc
to be collapsed into the same forum thread.

Ahoy,
– Dan

Am 28.02.2012 01:42, schrieb Marc Laporte:
> server name is pretty useless
>
> Who modified is nice info, but it's in the message indeed.
>
> Threading for mails or forums is a good point, so I am OK with your
> proposed changes.
>
> What do other think?
>

> On 2012-02-27 4:37 PM, "Dan"<dan.btown@...>  wrote:
>> The source?
>>
>> In Tiki 8.3 it's:
>>
>> "{$mail_trackerName}" {tr}item{/tr} "{$mail_item_desc}" {tr}was modified
>> at{/tr} {$server_name} {tr}by{/by} "{$user|username}"
(Continue reading)

luciash | 29 Feb 20:44 2012

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

Hi,
please use translation
placeholders:
http://dev.tiki.org/Code+Howto%3A+Adding+translatable+text+elements+to+the+User+Interface&highlight=translation#Placeholders
<http://dev.tiki.org/Code+Howto%3A+Adding+translatable+text+elements+to+the+User+Interface&highlight=translation#Placeholders>

Thanks, luci

On 29.2.2012 20:38, Dan wrote:
> After some more experimentation on one of the Tiki sites I'm involded
> with, I'd say the source should be
>
> {$mail_trackerName} — {$mail_itemId} · {$mail_item_desc} {tr}was edited{/tr}
>
> so as to avoid by adding $mail_itemId that edit notifications for
> different tracker items which coincidally share the same $mail_item_desc
> to be collapsed into the same forum thread.
>
> Ahoy,
> – Dan
>

> Am 28.02.2012 01:42, schrieb Marc Laporte:
>> server name is pretty useless
>>
>> Who modified is nice info, but it's in the message indeed.
>>
>> Threading for mails or forums is a good point, so I am OK with your
(Continue reading)

Dan | 29 Feb 21:39 2012
Picon

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

Hi luci,

I can not change the source in the code repositories myself anyways,
because I have no write access. That's why I suggested the change here
on the list.

In any case, if you look at the current source of
* templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl
it just uses {tr} / {/tr} so even if the suggested change would not be
accepted it may be an occasion to clean up issues with the translation
mechanism (if they actualy exist).

Whoever takes the effort of working on
* templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl (maybe) and
* templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification.tpl
should be aware. I noted that they deal with variables whichs values mix
\r\n and \n for newline, which can cause severe brain hammerage if you
try to use the replace-modifier to replace or reduce newlines. ;-)

Ahoy,
– Dan

Am 29.02.2012 20:44, schrieb luciash:
> Hi,
> please use translation placeholders:
> http://dev.tiki.org/Code+Howto%3A+Adding+translatable+text+elements+to+the+User+Interface&highlight=translation#Placeholders
> <http://dev.tiki.org/Code+Howto%3A+Adding+translatable+text+elements+to+the+User+Interface&highlight=translation#Placeholders>
>
> Thanks, luci

(Continue reading)

Dan | 1 Mar 17:58 2012
Picon

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

Yet another issue:

When a tracker item is deleted,

* templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

constructs a subject line which has $mail_item_desc set to an empty string.

So, even if the source of this template should be changed to, say, the
suggested

* {$mail_trackerName} — {$mail_itemId} · {$mail_item_desc} {tr}was
edited{/tr}

a tracker-item-changed notification announcing the deletion of a tracker
item can not be collapsed into a respective forum thread because the
subject line of the email will not match the thread subject.

=:-/

Ahoy,
– Dan

Am 29.02.2012 21:39, schrieb Dan:
> Hi luci,
>
> I can not change the source in the code repositories myself anyways,
> because I have no write access. That's why I suggested the change here
> on the list.

(Continue reading)

Xavier de Pedro | 5 Mar 11:14 2012

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

Dan, you'd better request commit access to the svn repository.

See https://dev.tiki.org/How+to+get+commit+access

Cheers and thanks for your suggestions of improvements (and thanks for
comitting your improvements yourself, if possible)

Xavi

On 29/02/12 21:39, Dan wrote:
> Hi luci,
>
> I can not change the source in the code repositories myself anyways,
> because I have no write access. That's why I suggested the change here
> on the list.
>
> In any case, if you look at the current source of
> * templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl
> it just uses {tr} / {/tr} so even if the suggested change would not be
> accepted it may be an occasion to clean up issues with the translation
> mechanism (if they actualy exist).
>
> Whoever takes the effort of working on
> * templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl (maybe) and
> * templates/mail/tracker_changed_notification.tpl
> should be aware. I noted that they deal with variables whichs values mix
> \r\n and \n for newline, which can cause severe brain hammerage if you
> try to use the replace-modifier to replace or reduce newlines. ;-)
>
> Ahoy,
(Continue reading)

Dan | 5 Mar 15:57 2012
Picon

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

Hey Xavi,

don't get me wrong — I'm not to lazy or shy to commit code myself.

Just thinking that there are a zillion Tiki admins out there who
(rightfully) rely on things to work like they did in the past 5 or 10
years, so one better don't turn a screw or knob on the machinery without
asking around well before. ;-)

Take care
– Dan

Am 05.03.2012 11:14, schrieb Xavier de Pedro:
> Dan, you'd better request commit access to the svn repository.
>
> See https://dev.tiki.org/How+to+get+commit+access
>
> Cheers and thanks for your suggestions of improvements (and thanks for
> comitting your improvements yourself, if possible)
>
> Xavi
>
> On 29/02/12 21:39, Dan wrote:
>> Hi luci,
>>
>> I can not change the source in the code repositories myself anyways,
>> because I have no write access. That's why I suggested the change here
>> on the list.
>>
>> In any case, if you look at the current source of
(Continue reading)

Marc Laporte | 5 Mar 20:06 2012

Re: [Tiki-devel] Suggestion to change source of tracker_changed_notification_subject.tpl

Hi Dan!

What is your Sourceforge username?

M ;-)