I have a tiki installation on one machine, and am trying to migrate it to a different machine. Some of the pages in the DB contain accented french characters. No matter what I try, the accented chars end up being messed up in the target installation.
I have looked in the doc for tiki backup and restoration, and couldn't find a solution to this problem.
- The two installation run Tiki 7.1
- On both installation, the encoding for the SQL connection is utf8_general_ci.
I tried migrating the data in several ways.
== Way 1: SSH export + ASCII FTP + SSH import ==
- I SSH on the source server
- mysqldump -uUUU -pPPPP source_db_name > sitename-date.sql
- FTP the .sql file to my laptop, in ASCII mode
- FTP the .sql file from laptop to target server
- SSH to the target server
- mysql -uUUU -pPPP target_db_name < sitename-date.sql
I also tried this with the --default-character-set=utf8 option when importing the sql (last line above).
== Way 2: Export from PhpMyAdmin + Import from PhpMyAdmin ==
- Go to Cpanel on the source server
- Using PhpMyAdmin, do an Export of the DB, saving the sql to a file
- Go to Cpanel on the target server
- Using PhpMyAdmin, do an Import of the DB, reading the sql from the same file
Didn't work either
Dunno what else to try. In the past, I was able to do this by editing the .sql file, and doing some global substitution of accented chars that had been doubly encoded. But this time around, I'm not even able to do that. For some reason,
when I do a search in the file using Notepad++, it freezes.
Any hints or help will be greatly appreciated.