Stephan Bardubitzki | 11 Nov 04:54 2011

Ubuntu 11.10 issues

Hi there,

I just installed CouchDB(v 1.0.1) via Ubuntu Software Centre and run the
test suite.

oauth, replication, rev_stemming, security_validation, view_conflicts
all raise the same error:

run the

test{"error":"case_clause","reason":"{error,{'EXIT',{badarg,[{erlang,apply,[gen_server,start_link,undefined]},\n
{supervisor,do_start_child,2},\n {supervisor,handle_call,3},\n
{gen_server,handle_msg,5},\n {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}}}"}

What to do?

Thanks,
Stephan

CGS | 11 Nov 11:29 2011
Picon

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 issues

Hi, Stephan,

Try to restart CouchDB. Can you tell us if you get any error at CouchDB
start? If you think it's easier for you to see when CouchDB starts,
clean your logs before (/var/log/couchdb/).

I have 1.0.1 here and I don't get such errors (but I have Ubuntu 10).

Cheers,
CGS

On 11/11/2011 04:54 AM, Stephan Bardubitzki wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just installed CouchDB(v 1.0.1) via Ubuntu Software Centre and run
> the test suite.
>
> oauth, replication, rev_stemming, security_validation, view_conflicts
> all raise the same error:
>
> run the

test{"error":"case_clause","reason":"{error,{'EXIT',{badarg,[{erlang,apply,[gen_server,start_link,undefined]},\n
> {supervisor,do_start_child,2},\n {supervisor,handle_call,3},\n
> {gen_server,handle_msg,5},\n {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}}}"}
>
> What to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephan
(Continue reading)

Stephan Bardubitzki | 11 Nov 19:46 2011

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 issues

Hi CGS,

thanks for your reply. I have done as you have recommended and CouchDB
starts just fine. Here is the log:

  [Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:29:41 GMT] [info] [<0.32.0>] Apache CouchDB has
started on http://127.0.0.1:5984/

However, running the test suite again it raised the same errors in
Firefox. I also noticed the the test suite hangs in Chrome just after

all_docs

Here is the log after running the test suite in FF:

[Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:29:41 GMT] [info] [<0.32.0>] Apache CouchDB has
started on http://127.0.0.1:5984/

[Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:36:01 GMT] [info] [<0.487.0>] 127.0.0.1 - - 'GET' /
200

[Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:36:01 GMT] [info] [<0.104.0>] 127.0.0.1 - - 'GET'
/_session 200

[Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:36:01 GMT] [info] [<0.485.0>] 127.0.0.1 - - 'GET'
/_all_dbs 200

[Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:36:01 GMT] [info] [<0.485.0>] 127.0.0.1 - - 'GET'
/_users/ 200

(Continue reading)

CGS | 11 Nov 20:30 2011
Picon

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 issues

It looks only that you have incompatibilities between the tests and
CouchDB or JavaScript engine (mainly due to bad requests). Still, your
CouchDB recovers fast.

I would try manual replication and views, just to be sure that these
parts are working properly. The rest, I wouldn't worry too much about.
Just take care at the size of the data you POST/PUT because it seems you
are limited to a certain size (I wouldn't worry too much unless you try
to transfer enormous JSONs - like with hundreds of fields).

That's my opinion, but I am not a developer. If manual replication and
views are failing, write back and I hope a developer will take a closer
look at your errors.

CGS

Stephan Bardubitzki | 11 Nov 21:01 2011

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 issues

Thanks, for now.

On 11-11-11 11:30 AM, CGS wrote:
> It looks only that you have incompatibilities between the tests and
> CouchDB or JavaScript engine (mainly due to bad requests). Still, your
> CouchDB recovers fast.
>
> I would try manual replication and views, just to be sure that these
> parts are working properly. The rest, I wouldn't worry too much about.
> Just take care at the size of the data you POST/PUT because it seems
> you are limited to a certain size (I wouldn't worry too much unless
> you try to transfer enormous JSONs - like with hundreds of fields).
>
> That's my opinion, but I am not a developer. If manual replication and
> views are failing, write back and I hope a developer will take a
> closer look at your errors.
>
> CGS
>

> --------------------------------
> Spam/Virus scanning by CanIt Pro
>
> For more information see
> http://www.kgbinternet.com/SpamFilter.htm
>
> To control your spam filter, log in at
> http://filter.kgbinternet.com

(Continue reading)

Filipe David Manana | 12 Nov 18:30 2011
Picon

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 issues

Can you tell if you're running Erlang/OTP R14B02 ? There was a change in
that release, related to supervisors, that broke the replicator. CouchDB
1.0.3, and 1.1.0, have code to deal with that change. So, either use one of
these CouchDB releases (or more recent) or use an older Erlang version.

On Friday, November 11, 2011, Stephan Bardubitzki <stephan@...>
wrote:
> Thanks, for now.
>
> On 11-11-11 11:30 AM, CGS wrote:
>>
>> It looks only that you have incompatibilities between the tests and
CouchDB or JavaScript engine (mainly due to bad requests). Still, your
CouchDB recovers fast.

>> I would try manual replication and views, just to be sure that these
parts are working properly. The rest, I wouldn't worry too much about. Just
take care at the size of the data you POST/PUT because it seems you are
limited to a certain size (I wouldn't worry too much unless you try to
transfer enormous JSONs - like with hundreds of fields).

>> That's my opinion, but I am not a developer. If manual replication and
views are failing, write back and I hope a developer will take a closer
look at your errors.

>> CGS
>>

>> --------------------------------
>> Spam/Virus scanning by CanIt Pro
(Continue reading)

Stephan Bardubitzki | 14 Nov 02:10 2011

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 issues

My Erlang version is

/erlang 1:14.b.2-dfsg-3ubuntu2/

I guess this is the version your meant.

I have tried to install a newer version of CouchDB using

https://github.com/iriscouch/build-couchdb

but this instalsl also CouchDB 1.0.1.

How can I tell build-couchDB which version to install?

On 11-11-12 09:30 AM, Filipe David Manana wrote:
> Can you tell if you're running Erlang/OTP R14B02 ? There was a change in
> that release, related to supervisors, that broke the replicator. CouchDB
> 1.0.3, and 1.1.0, have code to deal with that change. So, either use one of
> these CouchDB releases (or more recent) or use an older Erlang version.
>
> On Friday, November 11, 2011, Stephan Bardubitzki<stephan@...>
> wrote:
>> Thanks, for now.
>>
>> On 11-11-11 11:30 AM, CGS wrote:
>>> It looks only that you have incompatibilities between the tests and
> CouchDB or JavaScript engine (mainly due to bad requests). Still, your
> CouchDB recovers fast.
>>> I would try manual replication and views, just to be sure that these
> parts are working properly. The rest, I wouldn't worry too much about. Just
(Continue reading)

Jason Smith | 14 Nov 04:14 2011

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 issues

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Stephan Bardubitzki
<stephan@...> wrote:
> My Erlang version is
>
> /erlang 1:14.b.2-dfsg-3ubuntu2/
>
> I guess this is the version your meant.
>
> I have tried to install a newer version of CouchDB using
>
> https://github.com/iriscouch/build-couchdb
>
> but this instalsl also CouchDB 1.0.1.

Build CouchDB will build version 1.1.1 as of November 02, 2011.

If you cloned the repository before then, please run `git pull`.

Also, note that the final build is not in your execution path, but in
the location of your checkout, under build/bin/couchdb. So try to run
`./build/bin/couchdb` from your checkout/clone directory. If the
latter works, then to put it somewhere more convenient, run `rake
install=/usr/local` or wherever you want.

Any luck?

Iris Couch

(Continue reading)

Stephan Bardubitzki | 14 Nov 05:31 2011

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 issues

You are right, build-couchdb will build v 1.1.1, I started couchdb with

/couchdb/

which tried to start the uninstalled old version 1.0.1 and crashed.

/./build/bin/couchdb/

starts version 1.1.1 and I can run the test suite without errors.

Thanks for all your help.

Stephan