Pavel Cisar | 21 Dec 12:43 2011
Picon

FDB 0.7.0 released

Hi all,

As promised, FDB initial release (0.7.0) is out:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/fdb/0.7.0

It's almost feature-complete (ready for 95% of users), but it could be
still buggy (it's beta!), and the code wasn't optimized for size and
speed. In all other ways it's ready for wide testing.

What's missing:

- Distributed transactions
- ARRAY support
- EVENTs support
- Stream BLOBs
- TRACE service
- Documentation (but you can use KInterbasDB one as FDB is as close to
it as possible).
- Python 3.x support (haven't had time to test it, but it shouldn't be
hard to make it work there)

What's new since my last post here:

- Support for stored procedures (proper one according to Python DB API,
behaviour is the same as in KInterbasDB)
- Prepared Statements. It works in exactly the same way as in
KInterbasDB, i.e. you can use explicit PS via cursor.prep(), or use the
internal PS cached for all statements executed via cursor.execute() - it
will detect previously executed command and re-use prepared statement
(cached per cursor instance!).
(Continue reading)

Philippe Makowski | 21 Dec 13:08 2011

Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

Pavel Cisar  [2011-12-21 12:43] :
> As promised, FDB initial release (0.7.0) is out:

Thanks

> What's missing:
> - Python 3.x support (haven't had time to test it, but it shouldn't be
> hard to make it work there)

will try to test under Python 3 as soon as possible

> Sorry for GIT/Mercurial etc. fans, but Firebird project uses only SVN
> for all its code (except old obsolete ones that are still in CVS) and it
> would be pointless to create another type of repository for such a small
> project.

make sense

> Merry Christmas to all
Merry Christmas to you !

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional
(Continue reading)

Pavel Cisar | 21 Dec 15:37 2011
Picon

Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

Hi all,

I've tested FDB with slightly modified PowerConsole
(see http://ibphoenix.cz/pwc/ for details), i.e. I've just imported fdb
as kdb and skipped the kinterbasdb initialization. Surprise, surprise,
it works! All issues I was able to find so far were few small bugs in
pwcfb module itself :)

Guess that I'll soon release an update to pwcfb that will fix these few
issues and set dependency to FDB.

best regards
Pavel Cisar
IBPhoenix

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
(Continue reading)

Pavel Cisar | 21 Dec 17:41 2011
Picon

Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

Dne 21.12.2011 15:37, Pavel Cisar napsal(a):
> Hi all,
>
> I've tested FDB with slightly modified PowerConsole
> (see http://ibphoenix.cz/pwc/ for details), i.e. I've just imported fdb
> as kdb and skipped the kinterbasdb initialization. Surprise, surprise,
> it works! All issues I was able to find so far were few small bugs in
> pwcfb module itself :)
>
> Guess that I'll soon release an update to pwcfb that will fix these few
> issues and set dependency to FDB.

Done. See
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pwcfb/0.9.2
and
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PowerConsole/0.7.5

Installing pwcfb should bootstrap all necessary dependencies, including fdb.

best regards
Pavel Cisar
IBPhoenix

mariuz | 21 Dec 16:15 2011
Picon

Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

--- In firebird-python@..., Pavel Cisar <pcisar <at> ...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> As promised, FDB initial release (0.7.0) is out:
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/fdb/0.7.0
>
> It's almost feature-complete (ready for 95% of users), but it could be
> still buggy (it's beta!), and the code wasn't optimized for size and
> speed. In all other ways it's ready for wide testing.
>
> What's missing:
>
> - Distributed transactions
> - ARRAY support
> - EVENTs support
> - Stream BLOBs
> - TRACE service
> - Documentation (but you can use KInterbasDB one as FDB is as close to
> it as possible).
> - Python 3.x support (haven't had time to test it, but it shouldn't be
> hard to make it work there)
>
> What's new since my last post here:
>
> - Support for stored procedures (proper one according to Python DB API,
> behaviour is the same as in KInterbasDB)
> - Prepared Statements. It works in exactly the same way as in
(Continue reading)

Mario Lacunza | 21 Dec 16:54 2011
Picon

Re: Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

Hello Mariuz,
Im corious for what reasons you think GIT  is better? I work with SVN
most of my projects but I want test GIT, so will be very appreciated
your comments.

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: mlacunza@...
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
OpenOffice.org:: http://es.openoffice.org/
OpenOffice.org Perú:: http://openoffice-peru.com/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Mascotas Perdidas:: http://mascotas-perdidas.com/
Google Talk: mlacunzav Skype: mlacunzav
MSN: mlacunzav@... Y! messenger: mlacunzav

El mié 21 dic 2011 10:15:45 PET, mariuz escribió:

> --- In firebird-python@...
> <mailto:firebird-python%40yahoogroups.com>, Pavel Cisar <pcisar <at> ...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >

> > As promised, FDB initial release (0.7.0) is out:
> > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/fdb/0.7.0

(Continue reading)

mariuz | 22 Dec 10:17 2011
Picon

Re: Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:54:08AM -0500, Mario Lacunza wrote:
> Hello Mariuz,
> Im corious for what reasons you think GIT  is better? I work with SVN
> most of my projects but I want test GIT, so will be very appreciated
> your comments.

Some of the arguments are presented here (yes even php is switching to git from an cvs->svn transition (they
have lost a lot of time with svn migration and now finally doing the right thing))
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/dvcs
And more http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/

And you can see other projects that are using git
http://git-scm.com/

> Saludos / Best regards
>
> Mario Lacunza
> Email:: mlacunza@...
> Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
> OpenOffice.org:: http://es.openoffice.org/
> OpenOffice.org Perú:: http://openoffice-peru.com/
> Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
> Mascotas Perdidas:: http://mascotas-perdidas.com/
> Google Talk: mlacunzav Skype: mlacunzav
> MSN: mlacunzav@... Y! messenger: mlacunzav
>

> El mié 21 dic 2011 10:15:45 PET, mariuz escribió:

(Continue reading)

werner | 22 Dec 11:56 2011
Picon

Re: Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

Hi Mario,

On 12/22/2011 10:17 AM, mariuz wrote:

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:54:08AM -0500, Mario Lacunza wrote:
> Hello Mariuz,
> Im corious for what reasons you think GIT is better? I work with SVN
> most of my projects but I want test GIT, so will be very appreciated
> your comments.

Some of the arguments are presented here (yes even php is switching to git from an cvs->svn transition (they have lost a lot of time with svn migration and now finally doing the right thing))
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/dvcs
And more http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/

And you can see other projects that are using git
http://git-scm.com/

I have switched over from CVS to SVN years ago and earlier this year I switched to hg (only reason is that the project I needed to work on was on hg) and for my little projects it is absolutely great.

With DVCS you have much more flexibility, branching, sub-repo, clone, merge are I think a lot better then what SVN offers.

Here some more links to read.
http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/DVCSAnalysis
http://hginit.com/
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/

I would experiment with both hg and git and see which fits best for your way of working, I am pretty sure that either of them are better for you then SVN.

Werner

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
Mario Lacunza | 23 Dec 06:01 2011
Picon

Re: Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

Mariuz and Werner,

thanks for your responses!! I'll check your links.

Merry Christmas to all!

El jue 22 dic 2011 05:56:13 PET, werner escribió:
> Hi Mario,
>
> On 12/22/2011 10:17 AM, mariuz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:54:08AM -0500, Mario Lacunza wrote:
>> > Hello Mariuz,
>> > Im corious for what reasons you think GIT is better? I work with SVN
>> > most of my projects but I want test GIT, so will be very appreciated
>> > your comments.
>>
>> Some of the arguments are presented here (yes even php is switching
>> to git from an cvs->svn transition (they have lost a lot of time with
>> svn migration and now finally doing the right thing))
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/dvcs
>> And more http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/
>>
>> And you can see other projects that are using git
>> http://git-scm.com/
>>
> I have switched over from CVS to SVN years ago and earlier this year I
> switched to hg (only reason is that the project I needed to work on
> was on hg) and for my little projects it is absolutely great.
>
> With DVCS you have much more flexibility, branching, sub-repo, clone,
> merge are I think a lot better then what SVN offers.
>
> Here some more links to read.
> http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/DVCSAnalysis
> http://hginit.com/
> http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/
>
> I would experiment with both hg and git and see which fits best for
> your way of working, I am pretty sure that either of them are better
> for you then SVN.
>
> Werner

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    firebird-python-digest@...
    firebird-python-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Pavel Cisar | 21 Dec 18:24 2011
Picon

Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

Hi all,

I forgot to mention that you can use our JIRA tracker:
http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/PYFB

to submit bug reports and feature requests for FDB.

best regards
Pavel Cisar
IBPhoenix

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    firebird-python-digest@...
    firebird-python-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Philippe Makowski | 1 Mar 11:27 2012
Picon

Re: FDB 0.7.0 released

Pavel Cisar  [2011-12-21 12:43] :
> As promised, FDB initial release (0.7.0) is out:
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/fdb/0.7.0
>
> It's almost feature-complete (ready for 95% of users), but it could be
> still buggy (it's beta!), and the code wasn't optimized for size and
> speed. In all other ways it's ready for wide testing.
>
> What's missing:
>
> - Distributed transactions
> - ARRAY support
> - EVENTs support
> - Stream BLOBs
> - TRACE service

nbackup service too need to be added

> - Documentation (but you can use KInterbasDB one as FDB is as close to
> it as possible).
> - Python 3.x support (haven't had time to test it, but it shouldn't be
> hard to make it work there)

this is coming soon