Stephen Russell | 1 Dec 15:27 2010
Picon

New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

I have a client with an app from 93 that they would like to run from a
newer PC they got on black Friday.

When I copied the application to the drive I got an error back about 64 bit.

I rolled the compatibility back to Win95 as well as 2000 with same error back.

Is there a work around?

Stephen Russell

Sr. Production Systems Programmer
CIMSgts

901.246-0159 cell

Rick Schummer | 1 Dec 15:32 2010

RE: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

>> Is there a work around?<<

Windows 64-bit does not support 16-bit apps anymore, you have to use XP Mode
available on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.swfox.net
www.rickschummer.com

Stephen Russell | 1 Dec 15:40 2010
Picon

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Rick Schummer
<profox <at> whitelightcomputing.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a work around?<<
>
> Windows 64-bit does not support 16-bit apps anymore, you have to use XP Mode
> available on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.
----------------

This coudl be similar to the "home" issue from yesterday or the day
before and IIS.  Or I didn't chose XP Compatible.  :)

Thanks.

Stephen Russell

Sr. Production Systems Programmer
CIMSgts

901.246-0159 cell

Malcolm Greene | 1 Dec 16:00 2010

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

Stephen,

We have some customers that have decided to run their old FPD/FPW
applications in a 32-bit VM created specifically for their use.

VMware offers free VM software that is quite usable. For old FoxPro
applications, you can pare down your VM configuration to a very small
virtual PC, eg. 256-512M RAM and 5-10Gb disk space and still have a very
usable environment on both your host and guest OS's.

You will need a legal Windows license for each VM.

Malcolm

kamcginnis | 1 Dec 17:04 2010
Picon

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

One of our tech support guys got it to work with some kind of add on package, however, we decided we could not support
it so we are advising our fpd26 clients to upgrade to our windows version. We have not had an update to fpd26 since
1994. It is time to move on.

We have some customers that have decided to run their old FPD/FPW
applications in a 32-bit VM created specifically for their use.

VMware offers free VM software that is quite usable. For old FoxPro
applications, you can pare down your VM configuration to a very small
virtual PC, eg. 256-512M RAM and 5-10Gb disk space and still have a very
usable environment on both your host and guest OS's.

You will need a legal Windows license for each VM.

Malcolm

[excessive quoting removed by server]

Stephen Russell | 1 Dec 19:22 2010
Picon

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

I don't support the app for functionality just move to a new machine. Stopped work in 98 or earlier.

Sent from my iPhone
Stephen Russell
901.246-0159

On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:04 AM, <kamcginnis <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> One of our tech support guys got it to work with some kind of add on package, however, we decided we could not support
> it so we are advising our fpd26 clients to upgrade to our windows version. We have not had an update to fpd26 since
> 1994. It is time to move on.

(Continue reading)

Malcolm Greene | 1 Dec 16:15 2010

RE: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

Rick,

> Windows 64-bit does not support 16-bit apps anymore, you have to use XP Mode available on Windows 7
Professional or Ultimate.

Can you (or anyone else) confirm that you've had personal success
running FoxPro for DOS 2.6 and FoxPro for Windows 2.6 applications in
"XP Mode" under a 64-bit version of Windows 7?

I gave this a shot awhile back (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) and gave
up.

Thanks,
Malcolm

Stephen Russell | 1 Dec 16:34 2010
Picon

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

On my laptop it works. FPDos on 64 bit win7 my version is enterprise?

Logging into a vista machine now?

I have win7 ultimate. On my laptop.

Sent from my iPhone
Stephen Russell
901.246-0159

On Dec 1, 2010, at 9:15 AM, "Malcolm Greene" <profox <at> bdurham.com> wrote:

> Rick,
>
>> Windows 64-bit does not support 16-bit apps anymore, you have to use XP Mode available on Windows 7
Professional or Ultimate.

> Can you (or anyone else) confirm that you've had personal success
> running FoxPro for DOS 2.6 and FoxPro for Windows 2.6 applications in
> "XP Mode" under a 64-bit version of Windows 7?
>
> I gave this a shot awhile back (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) and gave
> up.
>
> Thanks,
> Malcolm

[excessive quoting removed by server]

(Continue reading)

Rick Schummer | 1 Dec 17:07 2010

RE: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

>> Can you (or anyone else) confirm that you've had personal success
running FoxPro for DOS 2.6 and FoxPro for Windows 2.6 applications in
"XP Mode" under a 64-bit version of Windows 7?<<

We were doing this yesterday at a customer site and have heard of other's
success. We did not get the XP Mode download done in time before leaving.
Expecting to have someone complete this task tomorrow so if someone else can
post first that would be cool.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.swfox.net
www.rickschummer.com

Gianni Turri | 1 Dec 18:13 2010
Picon

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

Hi Malcolm,

I have done it successfully on my new Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer portable.

Now I run Foxpro for Windows 2.6a in Windows XP Mode, a Virtual PC.
I haven't tested Foxpro for DOS but other very old DOS utilities runs without a hitch.

Gianni

>> Windows 64-bit does not support 16-bit apps anymore, you have to use XP Mode available on Windows 7
Professional or Ultimate.

>Can you (or anyone else) confirm that you've had personal success
>running FoxPro for DOS 2.6 and FoxPro for Windows 2.6 applications in
>"XP Mode" under a 64-bit version of Windows 7?
>
>I gave this a shot awhile back (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) and gave
>up.
>
>Thanks,
>Malcolm

Malcolm Greene | 1 Dec 18:22 2010

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

Thanks for everyone's replies on this topic.

Regards,
Malcolm

Tracy Pearson | 1 Dec 18:34 2010

Malcolm Greene wrote on 2010-12-01:
> Thanks for everyone's replies on this topic.
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

I wanted to add:
A recent update makes it possible to run Microsoft Virtual PC on hardware
without virtualization capabilities. This update does not however allow the
XP Mode mentioned earlier. That is only available on the Professional series
of Windows 7.

Tracy Pearson
PowerChurch Software

Malcolm Greene | 1 Dec 18:54 2010

RE: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

> A recent update makes it possible to run Microsoft Virtual PC on hardware
without virtualization capabilities. This update does not however allow
the
XP Mode mentioned earlier. That is only available on the Professional
series
of Windows 7.

Thanks Tracy!

Malcolm

Alan Bourke | 1 Dec 18:57 2010

RE: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

Virtual PC as a standalone application has never required hardware
virtualisation. The version that Win 7 XP Mode uses does or did.

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:34 -0500, "Tracy Pearson" <tracy <at> powerchurch.com>
wrote:
> Malcolm Greene wrote on 2010-12-01:
> > Thanks for everyone's replies on this topic.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Malcolm
> >

> Malcolm,
>
> I wanted to add:
> A recent update makes it possible to run Microsoft Virtual PC on hardware
> without virtualization capabilities. This update does not however allow
> the
> XP Mode mentioned earlier. That is only available on the Professional
> series
> of Windows 7.
>

> Tracy Pearson
> PowerChurch Software

[excessive quoting removed by server]
(Continue reading)

Kevin Cully | 1 Dec 15:45 2010

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

DOSbox?  It's an open sourced DOS CPU Emulator.  Haven't tried it but it
might work.

On 12/01/2010 09:27 AM, Stephen Russell wrote:
> I have a client with an app from 93 that they would like to run from a
> newer PC they got on black Friday.
>
> When I copied the application to the drive I got an error back about 64 bit.
>
> I rolled the compatibility back to Win95 as well as 2000 with same error back.
>
> Is there a work around?

Malcolm Greene | 1 Dec 16:01 2010

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

> DOSbox? It's an open sourced DOS CPU Emulator. Haven't tried it but it might work.

I would be curious to hear from others that have tried this route.

Thanks,
Malcolm

Stephen Russell | 1 Dec 16:27 2010
Picon

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

I tried it and was not pleased to the point of not running it.

Sent from my iPhone
Stephen Russell
901.246-0159

On Dec 1, 2010, at 9:01 AM, "Malcolm Greene" <profox <at> bdurham.com> wrote:

>> DOSbox? It's an open sourced DOS CPU Emulator. Haven't tried it but it might work.
>
> I would be curious to hear from others that have tried this route.
>
> Thanks,
> Malcolm

[excessive quoting removed by server]

Alan Bourke | 1 Dec 17:30 2010

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:01 -0500, "Malcolm Greene" <profox <at> bdurham.com>
wrote:
> > DOSbox? It's an open sourced DOS CPU Emulator. Haven't tried it but it might work.

I have definitely run Foxpro for DOS under DosBox, I don't think FPW
would work. And DosBox is intended for gaming so I would imagine that
LPT port support is non-existent.

I would say XP Mode under Windows 7 is a better idea. Not all versions
of Windows 7 have it though, and you need a CPU that supports hardware
virtualisation.

  Alan Bourke
  alanpbourke (at) fastmail (dot) fm

Alan Bourke | 1 Dec 17:32 2010

Re: New Win7 64 bit machine can it run FPD2.5 or 2.6?

Regarding XP mode, if it will run a 32-bit instance of Windows XP then
it will run FPD/FPW applications. Windows XP is Windows XP, whether it's
virtual or not.

  Alan Bourke
  alanpbourke (at) fastmail (dot) fm

Gmane