Tindall, Mark (M. | 30 Oct 11:12 2012
Picon

Windows 7 64 bit performance issues - Snapshot-20121028_2003

Hi,

I have been using SQuirreL SQL for a while now but despite my best efforts have been unable to fix some of the performance problems I am having with it. Currently I am running on a Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit PC with 8Gb Ram, using java 1.7.0_04 with the following options supplied in the start-up script:

start "SQuirreL SQL Client" /B "%LOCAL_JAVA%" -Xmx256m -Xmx1536m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -cp %SQUIRREL_CP% -splash:"%SQUIRREL_SQL_HOME%/icons/splash.jpg" net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.Main %TMP_PARMS%

I have set the L&F to the metal one and am using the Oracle Thin Driver (ojdbc6.jar) with the “Load all and Cache all Schemas’ option selected. The problems occur when I try to view a table or try to enter in some SQL. Often where the tables are concerned I can be waiting upwards of 20 seconds or more for the table’s details or the data contained in it, to appear (one particular table only has around 300 rows though there are a large number of columns of which most are empty of data). Where the SQL is concerned I can be typing it out and the screen will freeze only for control to be returned to me some time later – again upwards of 20 seconds is common. Would anyone be able to give me any advice on how I could improve the performance of SQuirreL SQL to lessen these periods of waiting?

Thanks,

Mark Tindall

Systems Analyst
* mtindal5 <at> ford.com