kschwarz | 31 Mar 15:08 2011
Picon

JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT parameter causing error (Windows)

I am testing Condor 7.5.6 on Windows machine and am getting the folloqing error message:

03/31/11 09:56:30 Locale: English_United States.1252
03/31/11 09:56:30 JavaDetect: failure status 1 when executing C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\JAVA.exe -Xmx -classpath C:/condor/bin;C:/condor/bin/scimark2lib.jar;. CondorJavaInfo old 2

JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT is set to -Xmx in accordance with the definition of it on the documentation:

JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT
An incomplete command line argument to the Java interpreter (the Java Virtual Machine) to specify the switch name for the Maxheap Argument. Condor uses it to construct the maximum heap size for the Java Virtual Machine. For example, the value for the Sun JVM is -Xmx.

On Linux machines it works accordingly.

When I set to -Xmx1024M, for exemple, the error doe not occur.

Seams to be a problem of interpreting that parameter in Windows version of Condor.

Am I correct?

Thanks,
Klaus
This message is intended solely for the use of its addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. All information contained herein shall be treated as confidential and shall not be disclosed to any third party without Embraer’s prior written approval. If you are not the addressee you should not distribute, copy or file this message. In this case, please notify the sender and destroy its contents immediately.
Esta mensagem é para uso exclusivo de seu destinatário e pode conter informações privilegiadas e confidenciais. Todas as informações aqui contidas devem ser tratadas como confidenciais e não devem ser divulgadas a terceiros sem o prévio consentimento por escrito da Embraer. Se você não é o destinatário não deve distribuir, copiar ou arquivar a mensagem. Neste caso, por favor, notifique o remetente da mesma e destrua imediatamente a mensagem.
machine and am getting the folloqing error message:
States.1252
status 1 when executing C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\JAVA.exe -Xmx -classpath C:/condor/bin;C:/condor/bin/scimark2lib.jar;.
CondorJavaInfo old 2
in accordance with the definition of it on the documentation:
(the Java Virtual Machine) to specify the switch name for the Maxheap Argument.
Condor uses it to construct the maximum heap size for the Java Virtual
Machine. For example, the value for the Sun JVM is -Xmx.
the error doe not occur.
that parameter in Windows version of Condor.
This message is intended solely for the
use of its addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information.
All information contained herein shall be treated as confidential and shall
not be disclosed to any third party without Embraer&rsquo;s prior written approval.
If you are not the addressee you should not distribute, copy or file this
message. In this case, please notify the sender and destroy its contents
immediately.<br>
Esta mensagem &eacute; para uso exclusivo de seu destinat&aacute;rio e pode conter informa&ccedil;&otilde;es
privilegiadas e confidenciais. Todas as informa&ccedil;&otilde;es aqui contidas devem
ser tratadas como confidenciais e n&atilde;o devem ser divulgadas a terceiros
sem o pr&eacute;vio consentimento por escrito da Embraer. Se voc&ecirc; n&atilde;o &eacute; o destinat&aacute;rio
n&atilde;o deve distribuir, copiar ou arquivar a mensagem. Neste caso, por favor,
notifique o remetente da mesma e destrua imediatamente a mensagem.</div>
Michael O'Donnell | 31 Mar 16:32 2011
Picon

Re: JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT parameter causing error (Windows)

Klaus,

I would be interested in hearing from the condor listsvr on this topic as
well. I am currently using 7.5.6, but I have not been able to configure
java correctly since version 7.2.x. I have posted questions about this and
there has been many questions about setting up java for windows, but none
of these have worked.

The solution I have used is to copy the java installation to an NTFS and
then I can run jobs requiring java using this. Obviously, this is less
than ideal but because I could not figure out the configuration it has
allowed me to run jobs via java.

I cannot find my notes on this, but I have also read on java blogs that
the location for where java.exe is installed has changed with different
versions. For example, I think some apps will copy the java.exe to the
system32 folder because I do not think the java installation does this any
longer. Therefore, I have had a difficult time trying to automate the
configuration when specifying the JAVA config macro.

Mike

[Condor-users] JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT parameter causing error    (Windows)
Sent by:
condor-users-bounces@...

[...]

Condor-users mailing list
To unsubscribe, send a message to condor-users-request@...
with a
subject: Unsubscribe
You can also unsubscribe by visiting

The archives can be found at:

Ziliang Guo | 31 Mar 19:51 2011
Picon

Re: JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT parameter causing error (Windows)

Klaus: The -Xmx parameter needs to have a value after it, like -Xmx100m or something, to be a valid parameter to the JVM.  The Windows config file has just -Xmx in the JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT config knob and not a value after it.  That could potentially cause problems as the code does not seem to actually check if there is a numerical value after -Xmx.  We probably should set a default.  The -classpath parameter may also be an issue but I have not looked into it.

Michael: I'm not quite sure what the source of your problem is, though there are a couple caveats one has to keep in mind with respect to paths and 32bit vs 64bit.  First, Condor does not work with spaces in paths, period.  In the installer, if the installer is able to find java.exe, it will convert that path into a short path, something like C:\PROGA~2\java\jre6\bin\java.exe.  If you manually specified the path, especially if it was a path to the default location Java6 has been installed to, it likely has a space, which results in Condor not being able to find java.exe.  Second, because the installer is a 32bit application, on 64bit systems that have Java 64bit installed, Windows actually can lie and claim that Java is installed in the "Program Files (x86)" directory instead of the regular "Program Files" directory.  There is supposed to be a check to make sure the file given by a path exists before it gets written into the config file by the installer, but due to Windows' lying, the check may actually pass.  Finally, I have no idea what "copy the java installation to an NTFS" means.

[...]

condor-users-bounces <at> cs.wisc.edu

To unsubscribe, send a message to condor-users-request-hcNo3dDEHLuVc3sceRu5cw@public.gmane.org with a
subject: Unsubscribe
You can also unsubscribe by visiting

The archives can be found at:

The archives can be found at:

Condor Project Windows Developer
Klaus,<br><br>
I would be interested in hearing from the condor listsvr on this topic as<br>
well. I am currently using 7.5.6, but I have not been able to configure<br>
java correctly since version 7.2.x. I have posted questions about this and<br>
there has been many questions about setting up java for windows, but none<br>
of these have worked.<br><br>
The solution I have used is to copy the java installation to an NTFS and<br>
then I can run jobs requiring java using this. Obviously, this is less<br>
than ideal but because I could not figure out the configuration it has<br>
allowed me to run jobs via java.<br><br>
I cannot find my notes on this, but I have also read on java blogs that<br>
the location for where java.exe is installed has changed with different<br>
versions. For example, I think some apps will copy the java.exe to the<br>
system32 folder because I do not think the java installation does this any<br>
longer. Therefore, I have had a difficult time trying to automate the<br>
configuration when specifying the JAVA config macro.<br><br>