Marquita Stewart | 19 Dec 03:49 2011
Picon

Quick Question

Good Evening

I have a question about the LibreOffice Software that I downloaded. I am unable to open the files that I save.
I once had a free trail of Microsoft Office and I was unable to afford the full version once my trail was up.
I downloaded LibreOffice and now when I open the files, It open with Microsoft Office and I am open able to
view but not edit in anyway, since I don't own the full version. Can you tell me why it will only open my
documents in Microsoft Office? Can you also let me know how I can fix this.I tried saving the document in
different way, but nothing work. I don't want to take Microsoft off my computer due to the fact that I will
not be able to open any Microsoft files and I have several saved on my computer that I need.

Any help you can provide to me would be wonderful! Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Jay Lozier | 19 Dec 07:17 2011
Picon

Re: Quick Question

On 12/18/2011 09:49 PM, Marquita Stewart wrote:
> Good Evening
>
> I have a question about the LibreOffice Software that I downloaded. I am unable to open the files that I
save. I once had a free trail of Microsoft Office and I was unable to afford the full version once my trail was
up. I downloaded LibreOffice and now when I open the files, It open with Microsoft Office and I am open able
to view but not edit in anyway, since I don't own the full version. Can you tell me why it will only open my
documents in Microsoft Office? Can you also let me know how I can fix this.I tried saving the document in
different way, but nothing work. I don't want to take Microsoft off my computer due to the fact that I will
not be able to open any Microsoft files and I have several saved on my computer that I need.

> Any help you can provide to me would be wonderful! Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Are resaving using the MS format? If so, try saving using the LO
standard format while working on them and only saving a MS version when
done.

Sometimes Windows will not allowing editing until you use Save As to
save the file with a new name or different format. I have seen this
behavior sometimes with other applications.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier <at> gmail.com

Scott Jones | 19 Dec 07:24 2011
Picon

Re: Quick Question

Make sure when you install LO that you choose custom install.  This
will allow you to make LO the default program for MS docs to LO.

On Dec 19, 2011, at 1:18 AM, Jay Lozier <jslozier <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/18/2011 09:49 PM, Marquita Stewart wrote:
>> Good Evening
>>  I have a question about the LibreOffice Software that I downloaded. I am unable to open the files that I
save. I once had a free trail of Microsoft Office and I was unable to afford the full version once my trail was
up. I downloaded LibreOffice and now when I open the files, It open with Microsoft Office and I am open able
to view but not edit in anyway, since I don't own the full version. Can you tell me why it will only open my
documents in Microsoft Office? Can you also let me know how I can fix this.I tried saving the document in
different way, but nothing work. I don't want to take Microsoft off my computer due to the fact that I will
not be able to open any Microsoft files and I have several saved on my computer that I need.
>>  Any help you can provide to me would be wonderful! Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.
> Are resaving using the MS format? If so, try saving using the LO standard format while working on them and
only saving a MS version when done.

> Sometimes Windows will not allowing editing until you use Save As to save the file with a new name or
different format. I have seen this behavior sometimes with other applications.

> --
> Jay Lozier
> jslozier <at> gmail.com

Onyeibo Oku | 19 Dec 07:26 2011
Picon

Re: Quick Question

Use "default program" in Windows to set LibreOffice as the default application for those files

from twohot <at> device.mobile :)

On 12/18/2011 09:49 PM, Marquita Stewart wrote:
> Good Evening
>
> I have a question about the LibreOffice Software that I downloaded. I am unable to open the files that I
save. I once had a free trail of Microsoft Office and I was unable to afford the full version once my trail was
up. I downloaded LibreOffice and now when I open the files, It open with Microsoft Office and I am open able
to view but not edit in anyway, since I don't own the full version. Can you tell me why it will only open my
documents in Microsoft Office? Can you also let me know how I can fix this.I tried saving the document in
different way, but nothing work. I don't want to take Microsoft off my computer due to the fact that I will
not be able to open any Microsoft files and I have several saved on my computer that I need.

> Any help you can provide to me would be wonderful! Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Are resaving using the MS format? If so, try saving using the LO
standard format while working on them and only saving a MS version when
done.

Sometimes Windows will not allowing editing until you use Save As to
save the file with a new name or different format. I have seen this
(Continue reading)

doug | 19 Dec 21:43 2011
Picon

Re: Quick Question

On 12/19/2011 01:17 AM, Jay Lozier wrote:
> On 12/18/2011 09:49 PM, Marquita Stewart wrote:
>> Good Evening
>>   I have a question about the LibreOffice Software that I downloaded.
>> I am unable to open the files that I save. I once had a free trail of
>> Microsoft Office and I was unable to afford the full version once my
>> trail was up. I downloaded LibreOffice and now when I open the files,
>> It open with Microsoft Office and I am open able to view but not edit
>> in anyway, since I don't own the full version. Can you tell me why it
>> will only open my documents in Microsoft Office? Can you also let me
>> know how I can fix this.I tried saving the document in different way,
>> but nothing work. I don't want to take Microsoft off my computer due
>> to the fact that I will not be able to open any Microsoft files and I
>> have several saved on my computer that I need.
>>   Any help you can provide to me would be wonderful! Thanks in
>> advance for your assistance in this matter.
> Are resaving using the MS format? If so, try saving using the LO
> standard format while working on them and only saving a MS version
> when done.
>
> Sometimes Windows will not allowing editing until you use Save As to
> save the file with a new name or different format. I have seen this
> behavior sometimes with other applications.

That's also true of LO.  If I get an attached text file (in rtf format)
it  says it's protected and I have to
save it under another name before I can edit it.
--doug

Tanstaafl | 19 Dec 21:48 2011

Re: Quick Question

On 2011-12-19 3:43 PM, doug <dmcgarrett <at> optonline.net> wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 01:17 AM, Jay Lozier wrote:
>> Sometimes Windows will not allowing editing until you use Save As to
>> save the file with a new name or different format. I have seen this
>> behavior sometimes with other applications.
>>
> That's also true of LO. If I get an attached text file (in rtf format)
> it says it's protected and I have to
> save it under another name before I can edit it.

This could also be a 'feature' of your email client. For example,
Thunderbird on Windows works this way - if you open the attachment, it
opens in read-only mode. This was changed at some point, because it used
to allow you to edit it, but many people were confused because it didn't
save the changes to the attached file, but to the Temp directore where
Thunderbird stored it temporarily when opening it.

James Knott | 19 Dec 14:11 2011

Re: Quick Question

Marquita Stewart wrote:
> Good Evening
>
> I have a question about the LibreOffice Software that I downloaded. I am unable to open the files that I
save. I once had a free trail of Microsoft Office and I was unable to afford the full version once my trail was
up. I downloaded LibreOffice and now when I open the files, It open with Microsoft Office and I am open able
to view but not edit in anyway, since I don't own the full version. Can you tell me why it will only open my
documents in Microsoft Office? Can you also let me know how I can fix this.I tried saving the document in
different way, but nothing work. I don't want to take Microsoft off my computer due to the fact that I will
not be able to open any Microsoft files and I have several saved on my computer that I need.

> Any help you can provide to me would be wonderful! Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.

It appears to a a file associations issue.  You can select which
application you want to use by default for various file types.  You can
generally right click on a file, select "Open with" and choose the
application you want to use.  There should be a check box to make it
default.

BTW, it's morning.  ;-)