Chad Neeper | 25 May 01:56 2011
Face

Variable field height in LO Base reports

I'm investigating the feasibility of using LO Base again after a couple
of years have passed. I have to say that I'm very happy with the
progress that has been made on Base and reports since I last looked into
it! I hope development on it continues at a steady pace. Kudos to the devs!

My first roadblock to printing the reports I need is that I can't seem
to find a way to make a memo or text field with a variable height. I
have several fields that contain anywhere from a few to hundreds of
characters spanning several lines. If I'm forced to create a field in
the report that is big enough to display all of the largest entries,
I'll be needlessly blowing through reams of paper. I'm sure there must
be a way to create a variable height field which will grow to fit the
data that needs to be displayed and I'm just not finding it.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

--
______________________________
*Chad Neeper*

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/

planas | 25 May 06:18 2011
Picon

Re: Variable field height in LO Base reports

Chad

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 19:56 -0400, Chad Neeper wrote:

> I'm investigating the feasibility of using LO Base again after a couple
> of years have passed. I have to say that I'm very happy with the
> progress that has been made on Base and reports since I last looked into
> it! I hope development on it continues at a steady pace. Kudos to the devs!
>
> My first roadblock to printing the reports I need is that I can't seem
> to find a way to make a memo or text field with a variable height. I
> have several fields that contain anywhere from a few to hundreds of
> characters spanning several lines. If I'm forced to create a field in
> the report that is big enough to display all of the largest entries,
> I'll be needlessly blowing through reams of paper. I'm sure there must
> be a way to create a variable height field which will grow to fit the
> data that needs to be displayed and I'm just not finding it.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ______________________________
> *Chad Neeper*
> Senior Systems Engineer
>
> *Level 9 Networks*
> 740-548-8070 (voice)
> 866-214-6607 (fax)
(Continue reading)

Dennis E. Hamilton | 25 May 07:53 2011
Picon

RE: Variable field height in LO Base reports

Chad and Jay,

I'm not sure how this works through the LO Base user interface, but I have some clues from the ODF 1.2
Committee Specification 01 on what to look for.

The only structure I'm aware of that allows variable height (other than the text flow of a document itself)
is the <draw:text-box> element.  You can specify a minimum height and a maximum height.  There must be a set
maximum if there is a minimum (there's no setting that establishes no maximum).

The <draw:text-box> must be within a <draw:frame> in your report (which is essentially a LibreOffice
Writer document embedded in the Base).  The <draw:text-box> can contain a paragraph that has some content
derived via a <text:database-display> element.

The two questions I can't answer, not using Base myself, are (1) what of the above is supported in the
LibreOffice Base implementation and (2) if it is supported, what are the UI ceremonies to exploit the
provisions in the design of a report presentation.

I see Object Resizing as a formatting option in the Oracle Report Builder, but I have not found something for
which those provisions are not greyed out.

Good Luck

 - Dennis

On 5/25/2011 1:53 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I'm not sure how this works through the LO Base user interface, but I have some clues from the ODF 1.2
Committee Specification 01 on what to look for.

> The only structure I'm aware of that allows variable height (other than the text flow of a document itself)
is the<draw:text-box>  element.  You can specify a minimum height and a maximum height.  There must be a set
maximum if there is a minimum (there's no setting that establishes no maximum).

> The<draw:text-box>  must be within a<draw:frame>  in your report (which is essentially a LibreOffice
Writer document embedded in the Base).  The<draw:text-box>  can contain a paragraph that has some content
derived via a<text:database-display>  element.

> The two questions I can't answer, not using Base myself, are (1) what of the above is supported in the
LibreOffice Base implementation and (2) if it is supported, what are the UI ceremonies to exploit the
provisions in the design of a report presentation.

> I see Object Resizing as a formatting option in the Oracle Report Builder, but I have not found something
(Continue reading)

Dennis E. Hamilton | 25 May 21:53 2011
Picon

RE: Variable field height in LO Base reports

I found a way to do this manually.   It works the easiest when your details fields are stacked vertically, with
maybe legends on the left, since these will each become a  table row in the final report.  I assume you want
fields to wordwrap exactly enough so that their content cell is only as big as it needs to be to contain the
exact text.

STEPS:
1. View the report.  It should give you a read-only view in LibreOffice Writer.  (I haven't tried this with the
Calc view.)

2. Click the Edit File button (the button with the pencil symbol).

3. Do an Edit | Select All (twice to get the entire table selected).

4. Click the Optimize button (the one in the Table toolbar with the check mark).  Select the Optimize Row
Height case (the symbol of a row with arrows pointing up and down).

5. This procedure should take all of the cells that had the red pointer showing there is more text and expand
their row vertically such that all of those cells show the full text and it is word-wrapped as appropriate.

I suppose one could come up with a script/macro do this in one step.

It will depend very much on your Details layout in the report design to have this work.  I had a details of just
two fields, one over the other (ID was one, Big Text was the other - a no-brainer demonstration).  The fields
are each only one line high in the form design.   The idea is to expand the fields selectively as needed using
the table optimizer, not the report design.

 - Dennis