Rob Harriman | 12 Aug 20:59 2011

MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

Hi,
Am a newbie to Libre Office so apologies if this has been answered
elsewhere.

When I load .docx files into Office 3 for view/edit the formatting is
shot to pieces and the Table of Contents is not picked up when included
in the original.
It appears that .doc files are loading ok.
I thought that .docx files were supported by LO. Apologies if this
assumption is incorrect.

Is there anything that I can do to address these formatting issues, or
must I convert these .docx files to .doc format before reading them in LO?
Thanks

Tom Davies | 12 Aug 22:21 2011
Picon

Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

Hi :)
Yes, it does crop up quite often but it is still a legitimate question.

Ideally convert things to doc format if that is possible.  DocX is designed to
be incompatible with non-MS products imo.  However the LibreOffice 3.4.2 often
does a better job of read/writing docXs than the 3.3.3 but having both is
possible if you follow this guide
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
Still neither is perfect at it so trying to stick with Doc is better.

Regards from
Tom :)

________________________________
Am a newbie to Libre Office so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

When I load .docx files into Office 3 for view/edit the formatting is shot to
pieces and the Table of Contents is not picked up when included in the original.
It appears that .doc files are loading ok.
I thought that .docx files were supported by LO. Apologies if this assumption is
incorrect.

Is there anything that I can do to address these formatting issues, or must I
convert these .docx files to .doc format before reading them in LO?
(Continue reading)

planas | 13 Aug 01:39 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-12 at 21:21 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Yes, it does crop up quite often but it is still a legitimate question.
>
> Ideally convert things to doc format if that is possible.  DocX is designed to
> be incompatible with non-MS products imo.  However the LibreOffice 3.4.2 often
> does a better job of read/writing docXs than the 3.3.3 but having both is
> possible if you follow this guide
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
> Still neither is perfect at it so trying to stick with Doc is better.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> ________________________________

NoOp | 13 Aug 02:22 2011

On 08/12/2011 04:39 PM, planas wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> On Fri, 2011-08-12 at 21:21 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
>
>> Hi :)
>> Yes, it does crop up quite often but it is still a legitimate question.
>>
>> Ideally convert things to doc format if that is possible.  DocX is designed to
>> be incompatible with non-MS products imo.  However the LibreOffice 3.4.2 often
>> does a better job of read/writing docXs than the 3.3.3 but having both is
>> possible if you follow this guide
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
>> Still neither is perfect at it so trying to stick with Doc is better.
>>
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>>

>> ________________________________

Dennis E. Hamilton | 13 Aug 04:03 2011
Picon

RE: Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

I'm not so sure the bug report being discussed is anything so simple, but I took on your little experiment.

CONCLUSION

It would seem, in this simple case, that no one has much to be proud of concerning interop between the
different native formats.  It is odd that the worst case here is the DOCX output from LibreOffice read back
into LibreOffice.  But Word 2010 doesn't round-trip to and from ODT a lot better (although it is a lot easier
to adjust manually if desired).

To get this right, there needs to be a more-systematic effort that determines what discretionary
provisions are being handled differently and what other features at the format level would be more
successful.

DETAILS

I started in LO 3.3.2 Writer by inserting a frame around a paragraph of text, then saving it as a Microsoft
Office Word 2007 DOCX format.  The text box is centered at the top of the page and I adjusted its width so the
text "This is going to be a simple text box" was in two lines.  The box was vertically more than two lines
though.  (The automatically-created initial frame was narrower horizontally.)

The DOCX opened in Microsoft Office Word 2010 just fine, exactly as formatted in LO3.3.2 with the extra
space at the bottom of the text box but with a thinner border line (looks like 0.5pt instead of 1pt).

However, when I opened it in LibreOffice 3.3.2, it produced a different, page-wide paragraph with a border
around it.  I can find no text frame.

Because I didn't keep a copy in ODT format, I did it again,

The LibreOffice 3.3.2 ODT Saves and Reloads just fine, just as I formatted it.  I also see that the 1pt line is
preserved and is heavier than I see in Word 2010.  I examined the ODT Zip Package and confirmed there is a
(Continue reading)

NoOp | 13 Aug 04:33 2011

Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

> -----Original Message----- From: NoOp [mailto:<snipped>]
> Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 17:23 To: users <at> global.libreoffice.org
> Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre
> Office
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Open LO. Make a simple text box with some text in it. Save as an
> .docx & let us know how that works out for you.

> I'm not so sure the bug report being discussed is anything so simple,
> but I took on your little experiment.
>

> CONCLUSION
>
> It would seem, in this simple case, that no one has much to be proud
> of concerning interop between the different native formats.  It is
> odd that the worst case here is the DOCX output from LibreOffice read
> back into LibreOffice.  But Word 2010 doesn't round-trip to and from
> ODT a lot better (although it is a lot easier to adjust manually if
> desired).
>
> To get this right, there needs to be a more-systematic effort that
> determines what discretionary provisions are being handled
> differently and what other features at the format level would be more
> successful.
(Continue reading)

Rob Harriman | 13 Aug 22:36 2011

Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

Hi Tom,
Thanks to you and the others who responded to my query. It made
interesting reading.
As suggested below I have installed Libre Office 3.4.2 in parallel with
the default version of LO supplied under Ubuntu 11.04.
I understand that things aren't always going to be right with .docx
files so I have taken the thesis document I'm currently interested in
and have converted it to .doc as suggested.
Now when I look at this in LO (either version) it is not picking up all
of the Table of Content entries. The original TOC was set up to pick up
all Heading 1 through Heading 4 entries.
I have tried using Tools - Outline Numbering - Numbering to define
Heading 1 through Heading 4 entries, but this appears to have made no
difference. Can anyone suggest what I should be using here please, or
how I use this process to get these headings picked up?
Also does this mean that I have to set this each time I look at
different documents or is there a way of setting LO so that it
automatically picks up all headers e.g 1 through 9 as a matter of course.
Basically I am not really sure what Tools - Outline Numbering is
supposed to do, or what the thinking is behind how TOCs are handled in LO.
Can anyone enlighten me please?
Thanks
Rob

On 12/08/11 21:21, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> Yes, it does crop up quite often but it is still a legitimate question.
>
> Ideally convert things to doc format if that is possible.  DocX is designed to
> be incompatible with non-MS products imo.  However the LibreOffice 3.4.2 often
(Continue reading)

Sigrid Carrera | 13 Aug 22:49 2011

Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

Hello Rob,

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:36:39 +0100
Rob Harriman <rob.harriman <at> btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
> Thanks to you and the others who responded to my query. It made
> interesting reading.
> As suggested below I have installed Libre Office 3.4.2 in parallel with
> the default version of LO supplied under Ubuntu 11.04.
> I understand that things aren't always going to be right with .docx
> files so I have taken the thesis document I'm currently interested in
> and have converted it to .doc as suggested.
> Now when I look at this in LO (either version) it is not picking up all
> of the Table of Content entries. The original TOC was set up to pick up
> all Heading 1 through Heading 4 entries.
> I have tried using Tools - Outline Numbering - Numbering to define
> Heading 1 through Heading 4 entries, but this appears to have made no
> difference. Can anyone suggest what I should be using here please, or
> how I use this process to get these headings picked up?
> Also does this mean that I have to set this each time I look at
> different documents or is there a way of setting LO so that it
> automatically picks up all headers e.g 1 through 9 as a matter of course.
> Basically I am not really sure what Tools - Outline Numbering is
> supposed to do, or what the thinking is behind how TOCs are handled in LO.
> Can anyone enlighten me please?

If I remember correctly, the default setting in LibreOffice (and OpenOffice.org) is that only headings 1
to 3 are considered for the table of contents. It is possible to change this. You will find a much better
description for this in here:
(Continue reading)

Dennis E. Hamilton | 14 Aug 00:16 2011
Picon

RE: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

I've not seen tables-of-content move between Microsoft Word and ODF documents very well, in either
direction.  (But I have not dug into it enough to conquer whatever the limitations are, either.)

Say more about what you are doing and where you need to end up.

Are you attempting to edit a dissertation using LibreOffice exclusively?   Then you might want to have it as
an .odt (not .doc) until the last possible minute.  If you need to turn it in as a .doc, you might need to find a
copy of Microsoft Office for a final edit, adjustment of the table of contents, etc.

Or are you at the front end where you are starting with a model in .doc and want to replicate its table of
content styles, etc., for continuing in LibreOffice?

 - Dennis

Thanks to you and the others who responded to my query. It made
interesting reading.
As suggested below I have installed Libre Office 3.4.2 in parallel with
the default version of LO supplied under Ubuntu 11.04.
I understand that things aren't always going to be right with .docx
files so I have taken the thesis document I'm currently interested in
and have converted it to .doc as suggested.
Now when I look at this in LO (either version) it is not picking up all
of the Table of Content entries. The original TOC was set up to pick up
(Continue reading)

R. Derek Pattison | 14 Aug 00:21 2011
Picon

Opening PDF files in Draw

Hello all,

Is there a way to open a PDF file in Draw, or another LibreOffice program, without having the program use OCR?
I have some PDF files that are basically just pictures of book pages and when LibreOffice tries to parse the
mediocrely-scanned text it becomes unreadable.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Derek
jorge | 14 Aug 04:14 2011

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi

	Excuse me, but it is important to know what do you need to do with PDF
file: Edit, copy something...? It is because you would use other
programs specialized for that. OCR program is used for images txt
documents for example. If your PDF document haven't image txt datas you
don't need OCR program to access the PDF document.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez
_____________

--
Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

R. Derek Pattison | 14 Aug 04:22 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi Jorge,

Basically I want to do some minor editing of the pictures in the PDF. Delete some pages, move some from one
document to another, delete parts of pages. The problem is that LibreOffice is trying to interpret the
text in the images as text and that makes it unreadable. I just want to edit them as images.

Thanks,
Derek

On Aug 13, 2011, at 10:14 PM, jorge wrote:

> Hi
>
> 	Excuse me, but it is important to know what do you need to do with PDF
> file: Edit, copy something...? It is because you would use other
> programs specialized for that. OCR program is used for images txt
> documents for example. If your PDF document haven't image txt datas you
> don't need OCR program to access the PDF document.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
> _____________
>

> El sáb, 13-08-2011 a las 18:21 -0400, R. Derek Pattison escribió:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Is there a way to open a PDF file in Draw, or another LibreOffice program, without having the program use
OCR? I have some PDF files that are basically just pictures of book pages and when LibreOffice tries to
(Continue reading)

planas | 14 Aug 08:28 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi Derek,

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 22:22 -0400, R. Derek Pattison wrote:

> Hi Jorge,
>
> Basically I want to do some minor editing of the pictures in the PDF. Delete some pages, move some from one
document to another, delete parts of pages. The problem is that LibreOffice is trying to interpret the
text in the images as text and that makes it unreadable. I just want to edit them as images.

> Thanks,
> Derek
>

> On Aug 13, 2011, at 10:14 PM, jorge wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > 	Excuse me, but it is important to know what do you need to do with PDF
> > file: Edit, copy something...? It is because you would use other
> > programs specialized for that. OCR program is used for images txt
> > documents for example. If your PDF document haven't image txt datas you
> > don't need OCR program to access the PDF document.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jorge Rodríguez
> > _____________

(Continue reading)

Johnny Rosenberg | 14 Aug 08:34 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

2011/8/14 planas <jslozier <at> gmail.com>:
> Hi Derek,
>
> On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 22:22 -0400, R. Derek Pattison wrote:
>
>> Hi Jorge,
>>
>> Basically I want to do some minor editing of the pictures in the PDF. Delete some pages, move some from one
document to another, delete parts of pages. The problem is that LibreOffice is trying to interpret the
text in the images as text and that makes it unreadable. I just want to edit them as images.

>> Thanks,
>> Derek

Why do you need to do that in LibreOffice? There are other software
out there, you know… Tried PDF edit? If you have Ubuntu it's in the
repositories (or ”sudo apt-get install pdfedit” in a terminal).

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Tom Davies | 14 Aug 20:27 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi :)
I don't think PDFedit really allows you to edit the text itself either?  Doesn't
it just let you move blocks of text around?
Regards from
Tom :)

________________________________
2011/8/14 planas <jslozier <at> gmail.com>:
> Hi Derek,
>
> On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 22:22 -0400, R. Derek Pattison wrote:
>
>> Hi Jorge,
>>
>> Basically I want to do some minor editing of the pictures in the PDF. Delete
>>some pages, move some from one document to another, delete parts of pages. The
>>problem is that LibreOffice is trying to interpret the text in the images as
>>text and that makes it unreadable. I just want to edit them as images.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Derek

Why do you need to do that in LibreOffice? There are other software
out there, you know… Tried PDF edit? If you have Ubuntu it's in the
repositories (or ”sudo apt-get install pdfedit” in a terminal).
(Continue reading)

Johnny Rosenberg | 15 Aug 12:24 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

2011/8/14 Tom Davies <tomdavies04 <at> yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hi :)
> I don't think PDFedit really allows you to edit the text itself either?  Doesn't
> it just let you move blocks of text around?
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Well, I don't know, I have it installed but I never use it. What I was
trying to say was only something like ”maybe there are other Open
Source software out there that is better suited for the task than
OpenOffice.org Draw”. I guess there were better ways to say it,
though.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Tom Davies | 15 Aug 12:46 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi :)
I know.  My post was less than diplomatic, sorry.

I meant that i haven't really used it either so i don't know how good it is.  My
brief attempt with it didn't seem to do what i hoped so i was wondering if i had
missed something.  My usual approach is to install a ton of different things and
give each a quick try so it's quite likely that i might miss something that
isn't immediately obvious.

After my post there were a lot of great posts in this thread, a lot of very
useful looking things and ideas.  This issue keeps cropping up and this seems to
be the best thread about it so far.

Regards from
Tom :)

________________________________
2011/8/14 Tom Davies <tomdavies04 <at> yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hi :)
> I don't think PDFedit really allows you to edit the text itself either?
> Doesn't
> it just let you move blocks of text around?
> Regards from
> Tom :)

(Continue reading)

Tom Davies | 14 Aug 20:34 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi :)
Ahah, I edit pictures and stuff in Pdfs using Gimp.  Draw might do it and now
the official Draw documentation has been released i might be a bit more happy
about trying Draw.  The problem with doing this using Gimp is that i can't save
as pdf from Gimp.

Regards from
Tom :)

________________________________
2011/8/14 planas <jslozier <at> gmail.com>:
> Hi Derek,
>
> On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 22:22 -0400, R. Derek Pattison wrote:
>
>> Hi Jorge,
>>
>> Basically I want to do some minor editing of the pictures in the PDF. Delete
>>some pages, move some from one document to another, delete parts of pages. The
>>problem is that LibreOffice is trying to interpret the text in the images as
>>text and that makes it unreadable. I just want to edit them as images.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Derek

(Continue reading)

Steve Edmonds | 14 Aug 20:44 2011

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi Tom.
You should be able to "Print to PDF" from Gimp.
steve

On 15/08/11 6:34 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> Ahah, I edit pictures and stuff in Pdfs using Gimp.  Draw might do it and now
> the official Draw documentation has been released i might be a bit more happy
> about trying Draw.  The problem with doing this using Gimp is that i can't save
> as pdf from Gimp.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> ________________________________

(Continue reading)

R. Derek Pattison | 14 Aug 22:44 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

So to clear a couple things up, first I am on a Mac, not Linux. Secondly, there is no particular reason I /have/
to use LibreOffice to edit the PDFs, I could use another PDF editor, but since OpenOffice was a suggestion
given in a GoogleSearch, and I already used LibreOffice, I thought I would try it. Also, I was hoping to use
something free, since this is not for anything professional, just for personal purposes.

I’ve used Preview on my Mac, and it does like 75% of what I want, but the ability to copy pages from one PDF to
another and merge them or cut one PDF into multiple ones eludes me, which is why I was trying with
LibreOffice. But as I said, it tends to try and read the pictures of words as text, and since the scans
aren’t that great, it ends up just being gobbledygook.

I tried the plugin suggested in a previous post, but that was already installed in my default install of LibreOffice.

I will try GIMP and maybe some other image editors and see if they work for what I need. Any other suggestions
are welcome!

Thanks,
Derek

On Aug 14, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> Hi Tom.
> You should be able to "Print to PDF" from Gimp.
> steve
>
> On 15/08/11 6:34 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
>> Hi :)
>> Ahah, I edit pictures and stuff in Pdfs using Gimp.  Draw might do it and now
>> the official Draw documentation has been released i might be a bit more happy
>> about trying Draw.  The problem with doing this using Gimp is that i can't save
>> as pdf from Gimp.
(Continue reading)

Steve Edmonds | 14 Aug 23:11 2011

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi.
In preview you can split and join PDFs. Print the individual page or
groups of pages you want as a pdf.
Then in preview open the first pdf, drag subsequent PDFs into the
thumbnail side bar viewer thingy in the order you want and then save the
whole thing as your new PDF.

As for editing, if the text is text, I can edit it in Draw.
If the text is an image, opening in Gimp enables me to delete the
current text (to a white background) and then type in new text with the
text tool. From Gimp I can print to file as a PDF.

Then join the PDFs in Preview.

steve

On 15/08/11 8:44 AM, R. Derek Pattison wrote:
> So to clear a couple things up, first I am on a Mac, not Linux. Secondly, there is no particular reason I
/have/ to use LibreOffice to edit the PDFs, I could use another PDF editor, but since OpenOffice was a
suggestion given in a GoogleSearch, and I already used LibreOffice, I thought I would try it. Also, I was
hoping to use something free, since this is not for anything professional, just for personal purposes.

> I’ve used Preview on my Mac, and it does like 75% of what I want, but the ability to copy pages from one PDF to
another and merge them or cut one PDF into multiple ones eludes me, which is why I was trying with
LibreOffice. But as I said, it tends to try and read the pictures of words as text, and since the scans
aren’t that great, it ends up just being gobbledygook.

> I tried the plugin suggested in a previous post, but that was already installed in my default install of LibreOffice.
>
> I will try GIMP and maybe some other image editors and see if they work for what I need. Any other suggestions
(Continue reading)

R. Derek Pattison | 15 Aug 02:38 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Thanks everyone!

Derek

On Aug 14, 2011, at 5:11 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> Hi.
> In preview you can split and join PDFs. Print the individual page or groups of pages you want as a pdf.
> Then in preview open the first pdf, drag subsequent PDFs into the thumbnail side bar viewer thingy in the
order you want and then save the whole thing as your new PDF.

> As for editing, if the text is text, I can edit it in Draw.
> If the text is an image, opening in Gimp enables me to delete the current text (to a white background) and
then type in new text with the text tool. From Gimp I can print to file as a PDF.

> Then join the PDFs in Preview.
>
> steve
>
> On 15/08/11 8:44 AM, R. Derek Pattison wrote:
>> So to clear a couple things up, first I am on a Mac, not Linux. Secondly, there is no particular reason I
/have/ to use LibreOffice to edit the PDFs, I could use another PDF editor, but since OpenOffice was a
suggestion given in a GoogleSearch, and I already used LibreOffice, I thought I would try it. Also, I was
hoping to use something free, since this is not for anything professional, just for personal purposes.

>> I’ve used Preview on my Mac, and it does like 75% of what I want, but the ability to copy pages from one PDF
to another and merge them or cut one PDF into multiple ones eludes me, which is why I was trying with
LibreOffice. But as I said, it tends to try and read the pictures of words as text, and since the scans
aren’t that great, it ends up just being gobbledygook.

(Continue reading)

jorge | 15 Aug 06:14 2011

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Hi

	You can look this other program:

http://code.google.com/p/formulatepro/

http://code.google.com/p/formulatepro/downloads/list

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez
_________________

El dom, 14-08-2011 a las 20:38 -0400, R. Derek Pattison escribió:
> Thanks everyone!
>
> Derek
>
> On Aug 14, 2011, at 5:11 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > In preview you can split and join PDFs. Print the individual page or groups of pages you want as a pdf.
> > Then in preview open the first pdf, drag subsequent PDFs into the thumbnail side bar viewer thingy in the
order you want and then save the whole thing as your new PDF.

> > As for editing, if the text is text, I can edit it in Draw.
> > If the text is an image, opening in Gimp enables me to delete the current text (to a white background) and
then type in new text with the text tool. From Gimp I can print to file as a PDF.

> > Then join the PDFs in Preview.

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

Derek,

There are a few programs I use a lot to do what you want to do
PDF-shuffler [1], pdfsam [2] and PDFtk [3].

PDF-shuffler is by far the easiest to use.  PDF-Shuffler actually
renders each page for you and allows you to drag and drop the pages to
different locations in the file. It does run with python so should
theoretically be able to be installed and run on Mac. I can see some
precompiled versions [4, 5] on google that you may want to give a try.

pdfsam is good but limited in what you can do. That is only split and
merge files. You can explode pdfs then merge individual pages but it is
all done using file names, i.e. you can't 'see' what you are doing.

pdftk essentially gives you everything you need to access the pdf
libraries it uses from the command line (i.e. bash terminal). You can
easily join, split, encrypt any PDF files but again you can't 'see' what
you are doing.

My current workflow is to manipulate the PDF using PDF-Shuffler then
encrypt using pdftk.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfshuffler/
[2] http://www.pdfsam.org/
[3] http://www.pdflabs.com/docs/install-pdftk/
[4] http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/PDF-Shuffler.shtml
[5] http://mac.lisisoft.com/app-software/250898-PDF-Shuffler.html

[SNIP]
(Continue reading)

Gene Young | 14 Aug 23:15 2011
Picon

Re: Opening PDF files in Draw

On 8/14/2011 4:44 PM, R. Derek Pattison wrote:
> So to clear a couple things up, first I am on a Mac, not Linux. Secondly, there is no particular reason I
/have/ to use LibreOffice to edit the PDFs, I could use another PDF editor, but since OpenOffice was a
suggestion given in a GoogleSearch, and I already used LibreOffice, I thought I would try it. Also, I was
hoping to use something free, since this is not for anything professional, just for personal purposes.

> I’ve used Preview on my Mac, and it does like 75% of what I want, but the ability to copy pages from one
PDF to another and merge them or cut one PDF into multiple ones eludes me, which is why I was trying with
LibreOffice. But as I said, it tends to try and read the pictures of words as text, and since the scans
aren’t that great, it ends up just being gobbledygook.

> I tried the plugin suggested in a previous post, but that was already installed in my default install of LibreOffice.
>
> I will try GIMP and maybe some other image editors and see if they work for what I need. Any other suggestions
are welcome!

> Thanks,
> Derek

What you need is PDF Split and Merge (http://www.pdfsam.org/).  It is
FOSS and there is a version for MACs.  You can split any pdf into
separate files for each page and then recombine any mix you want into a
new file.

--
Gene Young

Tom Davies | 14 Aug 00:42 2011
Picon

Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

Hi :)
Many apologies.  I had assumed you were sharing much shorter documents with
office users in an office type environment.  Since you are writing a longer work
and can retain control of it then sticking to odt is probably best.

I think it might be a good idea to read about using styles
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation#Getting_Started_with_LibreOffice

and also Chapter 12 in the Writer Guide
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation#LibreOffice_Writer_Guide

When you want other people to proof-read it or make suggestions you can always
save-as .doc or export to pdf.  Pdf keeps things looking exactly the same but
it's harder for people to edit, which might be a double win.

I have Bcc'd this to one of the main people in the documentation team in case
she has better guidance but she is extremely busy right now and Dennis is a star
anyway (and others in the users list too of course).

Regards from
Tom :)

________________________________
I've not seen tables-of-content move between Microsoft Word and ODF documents
(Continue reading)

Johnny Rosenberg | 12 Aug 22:28 2011

2011/8/12 Rob Harriman <rob.harriman <at> btinternet.com>:
> Hi,
> Am a newbie to Libre Office so apologies if this has been answered
> elsewhere.
>
> When I load .docx files into Office 3 for view/edit the formatting is shot
> to pieces and the Table of Contents is not picked up when included in the
> original.
> It appears that .doc files are loading ok.
> I thought that .docx files were supported by LO. Apologies if this
> assumption is incorrect.

Some people use big words for small things, that's why things like
”fully compatible” is mentioned way too often everywhere. I just
wonder what, using the same terminology, ”partly compatible” would
mean. Maybe that it recognizes the file suffix and then a dialogue
pops up telling you to it can't be opened…?

Just never use anything else than ODF and everything will be fine. You
can export to PDF without any problems in most cases, though. If
people can not read them, they can install LibreOffice or
OpenOffice.org and it won't cost them anything else than disk space
and time. They don't have to buy anything.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

NoOp | 13 Aug 00:19 2011

On 08/12/2011 11:59 AM, Rob Harriman wrote:
> Hi,
> Am a newbie to Libre Office so apologies if this has been answered
> elsewhere.
>
> When I load .docx files into Office 3 for view/edit the formatting is
> shot to pieces and the Table of Contents is not picked up when included
> in the original.
> It appears that .doc files are loading ok.
> I thought that .docx files were supported by LO. Apologies if this
> assumption is incorrect.
>
> Is there anything that I can do to address these formatting issues, or
> must I convert these .docx files to .doc format before reading them in LO?
> Thanks

There are considerable issue with OOXML/MOX[1] files:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=docx

Then again, Microsoft also has issues as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/open-a-word-2007-document-in-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010044473.aspx>

Your best bet is to ask users to use .doc rather than .docx (preferably
.odt, but we all know that isn't realistic).

[1]
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_OOXML

(Continue reading)

NoOp | 13 Aug 03:34 2011

On 08/12/2011 03:19 PM, NoOp wrote:

> There are considerable issue with OOXML/MOX[1] files:
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=docx
>
> Then again, Microsoft also has issues as well:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
> <http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/open-a-word-2007-document-in-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010044473.aspx>
>
> Your best bet is to ask users to use .doc rather than .docx (preferably
> .odt, but we all know that isn't realistic).
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_OOXML

Sorry, forgot to mention that there is a commercial package that does a
very nice job with .docx. Even the export to .odt included the notes
from the file that I tested:

<http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11942>

http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofl_en.htm

You can try a working linux demo for 30 days:
http://www.softmaker.de/cgi-local/of10trial.py

I just installed (deb version) and it does a pretty nice job. Looks
(Continue reading)

NoOp | 13 Aug 04:09 2011

On 08/12/2011 06:34 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 03:19 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> There are considerable issue with OOXML/MOX[1] files:
>> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=docx
>>
>> Then again, Microsoft also has issues as well:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
>> <http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/open-a-word-2007-document-in-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010044473.aspx>
>>
>> Your best bet is to ask users to use .doc rather than .docx (preferably
>> .odt, but we all know that isn't realistic).
>>
>> [1]
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_OOXML
>>

> Sorry, forgot to mention that there is a commercial package that does a
> very nice job with .docx. Even the export to .odt included the notes
> from the file that I tested:
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11942>
>
> http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofl_en.htm
>
> You can try a working linux demo for 30 days:
> http://www.softmaker.de/cgi-local/of10trial.py

(Continue reading)

Tom Davies | 13 Aug 08:53 2011
Picon

Re: Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

Hi :)
+1
I didn't know about the links and don't support the idea of using proprietary
products if it's possible to avoid them.  I agree it would be great to use .odt
but that it is more realistic to use .doc.

You can set the default format to .Doc and similar by clicking on
Tools - Options - +Load/Save - General
Then there are 2 drop-downs beside each other at the bottom.  With "Document
Type" set at "Text Document" roll the other one back-up one place to "Microsoft
Word (97/2000/Xp)".  For spreadsheets and presentations roll-back 2 places to
avoid the "templates" options.
Regards from
Tom :)

________________________________
> There are considerable issue with OOXML/MOX[1] files:
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=docx
>
> Then again, Microsoft also has issues as well:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
><http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/open-a-word-2007-document-in-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010044473.aspx>
(Continue reading)

Dennis E. Hamilton | 13 Aug 08:58 2011
Picon

RE: Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

If I wanted to make a text box, going to the drawing tool is not intuitive to me.

But I did that one too, just to see what the differences are.

 - Dennis

SUMMARY

It appears that it is LibreOffice that is losing the text when reading the DOCX text box.

When the same .docx is read back into LibreOffice, it has no text at all and even the border I added is gone.

Microsoft Office Word 2010 sees the border but not the content.  If I put content in on the Word 2010 side, it
comes back to LO in an ODT and a DOC, but LO doesn't see the text in the DOCX (though it now sees the frame.)

The only odd thing about bringing the adjusted DOCX (adding the text back in) as an ODT from Word 2010 is that a
stray empty graphic box shows up on the ODT page.  But the text box and its text are there too.  This is true when
the exported ODT is read back into Word 2010 and when it is read into LibreOffice 3.3.2.

CONCLUSION

I stand by my original analysis.  None of them have anything to be proud of, but the round tripping of DOCX from
LibreOffice is far worse than the ODT round-tripped from Word 2010, although the added graphic frame is
certainly undesirable.

The side-by-side and interchange case analysis to raise the level of interoperability is still required.

DETAILS

I made a text box using View | Toolbars | Drawing.  I selected "T" and drew a box with the modified cursor and
(Continue reading)

Tom Davies | 13 Aug 09:03 2011
Picon

Re: Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

Hi :)
MS uses the older ODF standard, the 1.1/1.0 rather than the 1.2 (Extended) that
is default in LibreOffice.  You can change the default in LibreOffice

Tools - Options - +Load/SAve -
Change the middle drop-down, roll it back up it's list by 2 places to the
1.1/1.0 option.
Then MS Office 2010 and 2007 should have no trouble reading the Odts produced in
LibreOffice.  Of course older versions of MS Office can't read ODF at all unless
you risk using some weird patch.
Regards from
Tom :)

________________________________
If I wanted to make a text box, going to the drawing tool is not intuitive to
me.

But I did that one too, just to see what the differences are.

- Dennis

SUMMARY

It appears that it is LibreOffice that is losing the text when reading the DOCX
(Continue reading)

Dennis E. Hamilton | 13 Aug 09:11 2011
Picon

RE: Re: MS Word .docx formatting in Libre Office

Oops, I forgot a case.

When I opened the original ODT document with the drawing-created text box in Microsoft Office Word 2010,
the document opened with only one problem.  The box was too small for the text so I had to enlarge the frame a
little to get all of the text to fit.  I could see it was all there but clipped by the frame of the text box.

So room for more interoperability to be worked on.  Still not as terrible as LO not being able to read back the
docx of its own creation.

Finally, out of curiosity, I looked into the XML of the .docx that LO 3.3.2 made.  There is no text in it.

Word 2010 didn't lose the text.  It never got that far.

 - Dennis