Maciej Soltysiak | 3 Jul 12:45 2012

Netgear R6300 - 802.11ac device

Hiya,

Netgear has recently released a 802.11ac device dubbed R6300 with 128 MB Flash and 128 MB RAM.

The network processor is Broadcom’s BCM4706. For the 2.4GHz radio it uses the BCM4331 w/ SiGE brand power amps. For the 5GHz radio it uses the BCM4360 chip with Skyworks SE5003L power amps.

Anybody knows if this is as open as WNDR3800 to allow openwrt and ... open the pandora's box with new and exciting issues with gigabit wireless? ;-)

Please CC, I'm not on the list.

Regards,
Maciej Soltysiak

Rafał Miłecki | 3 Jul 16:24 2012
Picon

Re: Netgear R6300 - 802.11ac device

2012/7/3 Maciej Soltysiak <maciej <at> soltysiak.com>:
> Netgear has recently released a 802.11ac device dubbed R6300 with 128 MB
> Flash and 128 MB RAM.

I guess my work on creating images for WNDR4500 will help here. I'm on
vacations right now, will be back to development in next week.

> The network processor is Broadcom’s BCM4706. For the 2.4GHz radio it uses
> the BCM4331 w/ SiGE brand power amps. For the 5GHz radio it uses the BCM4360
> chip with Skyworks SE5003L power amps.

We don't have driver for flash yet. BCM4331 is poorly supported by
b43, no brcmsmac support, Broadcom doesn't respond on questions on
that.
BCM4360 is even worse I guess.

> Anybody knows if this is as open as WNDR3800 to allow openwrt and ... open
> the pandora's box with new and exciting issues with gigabit wireless? ;-)

Rafał
Maciej Soltysiak | 3 Jul 17:16 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/7/3 Maciej Soltysiak <maciej <at> soltysiak.com>:
> > Netgear has recently released a 802.11ac device dubbed R6300 with 128 MB
> > Flash and 128 MB RAM.
>
> I guess my work on creating images for WNDR4500 will help here. I'm on
> vacations right now, will be back to development in next week.

Didn't know WNDR4500 was feasible. I heard it's not 100% open source
firmware at present and thus are not usable:
I'm basically quoting Dave Taht from Cerowrt project:
http://www.bufferbloat.net/issues/355

> > The network processor is Broadcom’s BCM4706. For the 2.4GHz radio it uses
> > the BCM4331 w/ SiGE brand power amps. For the 5GHz radio it uses the BCM4360
> > chip with Skyworks SE5003L power amps.
>
> We don't have driver for flash yet. BCM4331 is poorly supported by
> b43, no brcmsmac support, Broadcom doesn't respond on questions on
> that.
> BCM4360 is even worse I guess.
Right. What is your broadcom contact?

Regards,
Maciej
Rafał Miłecki | 3 Jul 18:40 2012
Picon

Re: Netgear R6300 - 802.11ac device

2012/7/3 Maciej Soltysiak <maciej <at> soltysiak.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/7/3 Maciej Soltysiak <maciej <at> soltysiak.com>:
>> > Netgear has recently released a 802.11ac device dubbed R6300 with 128 MB
>> > Flash and 128 MB RAM.
>>
>> I guess my work on creating images for WNDR4500 will help here. I'm on
>> vacations right now, will be back to development in next week.
>
> Didn't know WNDR4500 was feasible. I heard it's not 100% open source
> firmware at present and thus are not usable:
> I'm basically quoting Dave Taht from Cerowrt project:
> http://www.bufferbloat.net/issues/355

I don't really know anything about Cerowrt. I think your router may be
similar to WNDR4500 (except second wifi chipset). For my summary take
a look at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/openwrt-devel <at> lists.openwrt.org/msg14260.html

>> > The network processor is Broadcom’s BCM4706. For the 2.4GHz radio it uses
>> > the BCM4331 w/ SiGE brand power amps. For the 5GHz radio it uses the BCM4360
>> > chip with Skyworks SE5003L power amps.
>>
>> We don't have driver for flash yet. BCM4331 is poorly supported by
>> b43, no brcmsmac support, Broadcom doesn't respond on questions on
>> that.
>> BCM4360 is even worse I guess.
> Right. What is your broadcom contact?

Public mailing lists, nothing private:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/93675
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/93688
(I didn't get response for my question from the second link).

Rafał
Arend van Spriel | 3 Jul 20:17 2012

On 07/03/2012 06:40 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>>> We don't have driver for flash yet. BCM4331 is poorly supported by
>> > Right. What is your broadcom contact?
> Public mailing lists, nothing private:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/93675
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/93688
> (I didn't get response for my question from the second link).
>
> -- Rafał

Hi Rafał,

The intention is to add BCM4331 to brcmsmac, but lately focus has been
on brcmfmac development. As for BCM43228 this question has raised, but I
do not yet have a (definite) answer.

Gr. AvS