Stephen Liu | 4 Feb 03:23 2010
Picon

Re: virt-manager can't start

From: Cole Robinson <crobinso-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
To:
Stephen Liu <satimis-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Cc:
libvirt-users-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org
Sent:
Wed, February 3, 2010 11:11:46 PM
Re: [libvirt-users] virt-manager can't start

- snip -

> You shouldn't be changing the ownership of the .virt-manager directory. If
> running virt-manager and connecting to qemu:///system, a policykit dialog will
> appear asking for root (on fedora at least), however the app will still be
> running as a regular user.

Hi Cole,

Host - Debian 5.0
KVM
Libvert

This Virtual Machine has been running sometimes.

Before, on Gnome desktop

Applications - Sytem Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager
starts;
Autheticate
System Policy prevents management of local virtualized systems

After entering root password -> Authenticate
starts "Virtual Machine Manager"

For unknown cause/incident ;
On Gnome desktop;

Applications - Sytem Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager

popup following error
> popup following error;
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 346, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 248, in main
>    setup_logging()
>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 124, in setup_logging
>    os.mkdir(vm_dir)
> OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: '/home/satimis/.virt-manager'
> - end -

Then I ran "apt-get remove libvert" to remove it.  And reinstalled it later.

However

Applications - System Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager
starts "Virtual Machine Manager" without asking for root password to authenticate

$ ls -al /home/satimis/ | grep virt-manager
drwxr-xr-x  2 satimis  satimis      4096 2009-05-31 06:11 .virt-manager

If I change its owner to "root  root" it popup above warning.  I can't start "Virtual Machine Manager".

How can I restore its original state requesting root password for authentication before starting "Virtual Machine Manager"?  TIA

B.R.
Stephen

Cole Robinson | 4 Feb 14:45 2010
Picon

Re: virt-manager can't start

On 02/03/2010 09:23 PM, Stephen Liu wrote:
> [...]

Firstly, delete ~/.virt-manager, and let the app create it with correct
permissions. Second, make sure libvirtd is installed and running. Finally,
when virt-manager is running, make sure it is connecting to the qemu:///system
connection: there should be a row name 'qemu' in the main window, right click
-> connect. This should ask for the root password.

If the qemu row isn't there for some reason, you can use File->Open Connection
to connect.

- Cole
Stephen Liu | 4 Feb 17:54 2010
Picon

Re: virt-manager can't start

>  Firstly, delete ~/.virt-manager, and let the app create it with correct
>  permissions. Second, make sure libvirtd is installed and running. Finally,
>  when virt-manager is running, make sure it is connecting to the qemu:///system
>  connection: there should be a row name 'qemu' in the main window, right click
>  -> connect. This should ask for the root password.

> If the qemu row isn't there for some reason, you can use File->Open Connection
> to connect.

$ rm -rf .virt-manager

Gnome
Applications -> System Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager

qemu is not there instead "localhost" displayed.  Clicking it drops down all VMs

Virtual Machine Manager
File -> No "Open Connect".  Only "Add Connection"

$ apt-cache policy libvirt
W: Unable to locate package libvirt

$ apt-cache policy libvirtd
W: Unable to locate package libvirtd

$ apt-cache search libvirtd
No printout

$ apt-cache search libvirt
collectd - statistics collection and monitoring daemon
libvirt-bin - the programs for the libvirt library
libvirt-dev - development files for the libvirt library
libvirt-doc - documentation for the libvirt library
libvirt0-dbg - library for interfacing with different virtualization systems
libvirt0 - library for interfacing with different virtualization systems
python-libvirt - libvirt Python bindings
libvirt-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for libvirt
libvirt-ocaml - OCaml bindings for libvirt
munin-libvirt-plugins - Munin plugins using libvirt
virtinst - Programs to create and clone virtual machines

$ apt-cache policy libvirt0
libvirt0:
  Installed: 0.4.6-10
  Candidate: 0.4.6-10
  Version table:
     0.6.5-3~bpo50+1 0
          1 http://www.backports.org lenny-backports/main Packages
 *** 0.4.6-10 0
        500 http://ftp.hk.debian.org lenny/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

libvirtd NOT found

B.R.
satimis

Cole Robinson | 4 Feb 19:25 2010
Picon

Re: virt-manager can't start

On 02/04/2010 11:54 AM, Stephen Liu wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, that's the row I mean. If it opens and shows VMs, sounds like that is
what you want. It might not be asking for root passwd twice because it is
caching the auth credentials: depends on what policykit version is installed.

virt-manager only asks for the root passwd to connect to the libvirt qemu
driver: sounds like it is doing that, so not sure if there is something else
you want.

> Virtual Machine Manager
> File -> No "Open Connect".  Only "Add Connection"

Add connection is what I mean, sorry.

> $ apt-cache policy libvirt
> W: Unable to locate package libvirt
>
> $ apt-cache policy libvirtd
> W: Unable to locate package libvirtd
>

> $ apt-cache search libvirtd
> No printout
>
> $ apt-cache search libvirt
> collectd - statistics collection and monitoring daemon
> libvirt-bin - the programs for the libvirt library
> libvirt-dev - development files for the libvirt library
> libvirt-doc - documentation for the libvirt library
> libvirt0-dbg - library for interfacing with different virtualization systems
> libvirt0 - library for interfacing with different virtualization systems
> python-libvirt - libvirt Python bindings
> libvirt-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for libvirt
> libvirt-ocaml - OCaml bindings for libvirt
> munin-libvirt-plugins - Munin plugins using libvirt
> virtinst - Programs to create and clone virtual machines
>
> $ apt-cache policy libvirt0
> libvirt0:
>   Installed: 0.4.6-10
>   Candidate: 0.4.6-10
>   Version table:
>      0.6.5-3~bpo50+1 0
>           1 http://www.backports.org lenny-backports/main Packages
>  *** 0.4.6-10 0
>         500 http://ftp.hk.debian.org lenny/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> libvirtd NOT found

Sorry, I don't know what package libvirtd is in on debian based systems.

- Cole
Stephen Liu | 5 Feb 05:19 2010
Picon

Re: virt-manager can't start

> Yeah, that's the row I mean. If it opens and shows VMs, sounds like that is
> what you want. It might not be asking for root passwd twice because it is
> caching the auth credentials: depends on what policykit version is installed.

> virt-manager only asks for the root passwd to connect to the libvirt qemu
> driver: sounds like it is doing that, so not sure if there is something else
> you want.

Hi Cole,

I have 2 Virtual Machines here, both running KVM as virtualizer.

Virtual Machine-1
Host - Fedora 12
KVM
libvirt

Vitural Machine-2
Host - Debian 5.0
KVM
libvirt

Previously on Genom desktop of both machines
Applications -> System Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager

starts 2 windows:-

Virtual Machine Manager
Name
localhost (QEMU) - connecting

and
Authenticate
Password for root

After entering root password -> Authenticate

changes;

Virtual Machine Manager
Name
localhost (QEMU)
vm01
vm02
vm03

For unknown accident/cause Virtual Machine-2 (Debian 5.0) changes;

Applications -> System Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager

starts only 1 window, without Authenticate window asking for root password.

Virtual Machine Manager
Name
localhost
vm01
vm02
vm03

I don't know why?  How can I change it back to its original state?

TIA

B.R.
Stephen

Cole Robinson | 5 Feb 14:54 2010
Picon

Re: virt-manager can't start

On 02/04/2010 11:19 PM, Stephen Liu wrote:

> [...]

I don't know why either, sorry. Maybe your root password credentials have been
cached, so it isn't asking anymore. If you log out or reboot the box, does
virt-manager ask for the password the next time you run it?

If that doesn't work, I would recommend filing a bug with debian.

- Cole

Gmane