Frank Jahnke | 10 Jul 20:08 2010

FreeBSD Sound in Player

I am having difficulties getting sound to work with the open vm tools in
VMware Player (32 bit) running FreeBSD 8.0-R/Gnome/xorg/Flash/Java (all
recent).  The host is Win 7 Professional 64 bit.

I'm loading the appropriate driver (snd_es137x) and it is running.  When
I connect the VMware sound, I get the error message "The default sound
device cannot be opened.  A device ID has been used that is out of range
for your system.  Failed to connect virtual sound device."

The vmx file is the default, and sound works on a native system, on
Player 3.0.1 with the VMware tools (but videos freeze) and in
VirtualBox.  The error comes up with either Player 3.0.1 or 3.1.

Advice on how to fix this would be most appreciated!

Ryan Beasley | 12 Jul 20:10 2010

Re: FreeBSD Sound in Player

On 07/10/2010 11:08 AM, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> I am having difficulties getting sound to work with the open vm tools in
> VMware Player (32 bit) running FreeBSD 8.0-R/Gnome/xorg/Flash/Java (all
> recent).  The host is Win 7 Professional 64 bit.
>
> I'm loading the appropriate driver (snd_es137x) and it is running.  When
> I connect the VMware sound, I get the error message "The default sound
> device cannot be opened.  A device ID has been used that is out of range
> for your system.  Failed to connect virtual sound device."
>
> The vmx file is the default, and sound works on a native system, on
> Player 3.0.1 with the VMware tools (but videos freeze) and in
> VirtualBox.  The error comes up with either Player 3.0.1 or 3.1.
>
> Advice on how to fix this would be most appreciated!

Hi Frank,

The VMware Tools have no effect on sound for FreeBSD guests.  VMware doesn't
ship an audio driver, but (as you seem to be aware) instead Player includes
emulation for an Ensoniq chip.

I recommend checking out VMware's Player discussion forum instead.  The
Workstation and Player devs keep an eye on that one.  ;)
http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/player

   - Ryan

Ryan Beasley :: MTS, Guest Components - Applications :: VMware, Inc.
(Continue reading)

Frank Jahnke | 13 Jul 02:51 2010

Re: FreeBSD Sound in Player

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 11:10 -0700, Ryan Beasley wrote:

> The VMware Tools have no effect on sound for FreeBSD guests.

But they do.  The VMware-issued tools work for 3.0.1, and sound works.
Use the open vm tools and it doesn't.  So the latter do have a
(negative!) effect.

> I recommend checking out VMware's Player discussion forum instead.  The
> Workstation and Player devs keep an eye on that one.  ;)
> http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/player

I have, and there has been no reply at all.

Ryan Beasley | 13 Jul 23:46 2010

Re: FreeBSD Sound in Player

On 07/12/2010 05:51 PM, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 11:10 -0700, Ryan Beasley wrote:
>
>> The VMware Tools have no effect on sound for FreeBSD guests.
>
> But they do.  The VMware-issued tools work for 3.0.1, and sound works.
> Use the open vm tools and it doesn't.  So the latter do have a
> (negative!) effect.
>
>> I recommend checking out VMware's Player discussion forum instead.  The
>> Workstation and Player devs keep an eye on that one.  ;)
>> http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/player
>
> I have, and there has been no reply at all.

I'm pretty sure something else is involved here.  Are you, in the same session,
switching between working and busted audio via switching between official Tools
and the Open VM Tools in the same session, sans reboots?

For example:
1.  Boot the FreeBSD VM without any VMware Tools packages installed.
2.  Fire up mplayer and start playing audio.  Perform all the following while
audio is still playing.
3.  Install the VMware Tools as shipped with Player.  Observe that audio
continues playing.
4.  Uninstall the VMware Tools.  Observe that audio continues playing.
5.  Install the Open VM Tools*.  Observe that audio continues playing.
6.  Uninstall the Open VM Tools.  Observe that audio continues playing.

(Continue reading)

Frank Jahnke | 13 Jul 23:50 2010

Re: FreeBSD Sound in Player

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 14:46 -0700, Ryan Beasley wrote:

> I'm pretty sure something else is involved here.  Are you, in the same session,
> switching between working and busted audio via switching between official Tools
> and the Open VM Tools in the same session, sans reboots?

No -- only one set of tools is installed at a time.

> For example:
> 1.  Boot the FreeBSD VM without any VMware Tools packages installed.
> 2.  Fire up mplayer and start playing audio.  Perform all the following while
> audio is still playing.

Audio works fine with the standard-issue tools on 3.0.1, but Flash
videos *always* freeze.  I don't have mplayer installed yet, but I
certainly can do so.  I certainly can try it before installing the
tools.

The vmware tools do not work with 3.1.0 and FreeBSD, which is a known
problem.

So right now I an using just the open vm tools in 3.0.1.  Here Flash
does not freeze, but there currently is no audio.

> 3.  Install the VMware Tools as shipped with Player.  Observe that audio
> continues playing.

I have done this, and it works, but videos freeze.  The goal here is to
do the more dangerous browsing on the FreeBSD VM, so that's why there is
the emphasis on Flash and audio.
(Continue reading)

Ryan Beasley | 14 Jul 00:37 2010

Re: FreeBSD Sound in Player

On 07/13/2010 02:50 PM, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 14:46 -0700, Ryan Beasley wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure something else is involved here.  Are you, in the same session,
>> switching between working and busted audio via switching between official Tools
>> and the Open VM Tools in the same session, sans reboots?
>
> No -- only one set of tools is installed at a time.

Right.  But my question is whether you're able to flip the switch between
working and broken audio by -only- switching the instance of VMware Tools
installed in the guest.

If you attempt to reconnect the audio device again through the Player UI, do you
consistently see the error message you reported in your first message?  ("The
default sound device cannot be opened. ...")

>> For example:
>> 1.  Boot the FreeBSD VM without any VMware Tools packages installed.
>> 2.  Fire up mplayer and start playing audio.  Perform all the following while
>> audio is still playing.
>
> Audio works fine with the standard-issue tools on 3.0.1, but Flash
> videos *always* freeze.  I don't have mplayer installed yet, but I
> certainly can do so.  I certainly can try it before installing the
> tools.

It doesn't have to be mplayer, but anything that will open the sound card and
play audio.  If you can copy a freely available MP3, WAV, etc. to the VM, I'd
suggest/request running the following in one terminal while performing the
(Continue reading)

Frank Jahnke | 14 Jul 00:59 2010

Re: FreeBSD Sound in Player

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 15:37 -0700, Ryan Beasley wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 02:50 PM, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 14:46 -0700, Ryan Beasley wrote:
> >
> >> I'm pretty sure something else is involved here.  Are you, in the same session,
> >> switching between working and busted audio via switching between official Tools
> >> and the Open VM Tools in the same session, sans reboots?
> >
> > No -- only one set of tools is installed at a time.
>
> Right.  But my question is whether you're able to flip the switch between
> working and broken audio by -only- switching the instance of VMware Tools
> installed in the guest.

Yes.  But I have not tried this from a single session, if that is what
you mean.

> If you attempt to reconnect the audio device again through the Player UI, do you
> consistently see the error message you reported in your first message?  ("The
> default sound device cannot be opened. ...")

Yes.

> It's important that something is playing almost continuously while you're
> switching out Tools installs.  If something is breaking, I'm interested in
> learning exactly where/when it happens.  (You could either SSH into the FreeBSD
> VM and play from there, or just not exit/re-enter X when switching Tools.
> Killing/restarting vmware-user manually would be fine.)

Hmm.  How do I switch tools when there are required start-up daemons?  I