Arne Hüggenberg | 29 Jul 17:24 2012
Picon

resize2fs > 16TB questions

Hello List,

im trying to resize a ext4 fs to > 16TB.

Having had a look at the e2fsprogs 1.42.x release notes i thought that, with the online resize ioctl having
been merged in Kernel 3.3, this should be possible.

But so far i have had no success achieving this:

~ # uname -a
Linux 3.3.8-gentoo #1 SMP Fri Jul 27 16:13:25 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620  <at>  2.40GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

~ # tune2fs -l /dev/vg0/lvol1
tune2fs 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)
Filesystem volume name:   <none>
Last mounted on:          /home/filestore_extern_1
Filesystem UUID:          8fba4f1b-5311-4c9b-b8bf-def4957dc1bd
Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent
64bit flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize
Filesystem flags:         signed_directory_hash
Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
Filesystem state:         clean
Errors behavior:          Continue
Filesystem OS type:       Linux
Inode count:              521011200
Block count:              4168089600
Reserved block count:     191127425
(Continue reading)

Andreas Dilger | 29 Jul 18:11 2012

Re: resize2fs > 16TB questions

On 2012-07-29, at 8:24, Arne Hüggenberg <hueggenberg <at> sportsandbytes.de> wrote:

> im trying to resize a ext4 fs to > 16TB.

Unfortunately, this is not possible today without advance planning.  There are some structures on disk
(group descriptors) that need to be larger for 64-bit filesystems. It is possible to format a 32-bit
filesystem with larger group descriptors using the "-O 64bit" option, but this doesn't happen by default
today.

Possibly we should start using the 64-byte group descriptors by default for filesystems over, say, 4 TB, so
they can be resized beyond 16 TB.

It might also be possible to modify resize2fs to change the group descriptor size, but that isn't possible
today.

> Having had a look at the e2fsprogs 1.42.x release notes i thought that, with the online resize ioctl having
been merged in Kernel 3.3, this should be possible.

> But so far i have had no success achieving this:
>
> ~ # uname -a
> Linux 3.3.8-gentoo #1 SMP Fri Jul 27 16:13:25 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620  <at>  2.40GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

> ~ # tune2fs -l /dev/vg0/lvol1
> tune2fs 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)
> Filesystem volume name:   <none>
> Last mounted on:          /home/filestore_extern_1
> Filesystem UUID:          8fba4f1b-5311-4c9b-b8bf-def4957dc1bd
> Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
(Continue reading)

Arne Hüggenberg | 29 Jul 18:46 2012
Picon

On Jul 29, 2012, at 6:11 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On 2012-07-29, at 8:24, Arne Hüggenberg <hueggenberg <at> sportsandbytes.de> wrote:
>>
>> im trying to resize a ext4 fs to > 16TB.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not possible today without advance planning.  There are some structures on disk
(group descriptors) that need to be larger for 64-bit filesystems. It is possible to format a 32-bit
filesystem with larger group descriptors using the "-O 64bit" option, but this doesn't happen by default
today.

> Possibly we should start using the 64-byte group descriptors by default for filesystems over, say, 4 TB,
so they can be resized beyond 16 TB.

I have no idea what the overhead for 64byte group descriptors is, but with LVM Setups becoming more common
and enabling incremental storage increases over a timeframe of several years, maybe 1TB filesystems
should be cutoff.

> It might also be possible to modify resize2fs to change the group descriptor size, but that isn't possible
today.

>> Having had a look at the e2fsprogs 1.42.x release notes i thought that, with the online resize ioctl
having been merged in Kernel 3.3, this should be possible.

>> But so far i have had no success achieving this:
>>
>> ~ # uname -a
>> Linux 3.3.8-gentoo #1 SMP Fri Jul 27 16:13:25 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620  <at>  2.40GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
(Continue reading)

Andreas Dilger | 29 Jul 20:30 2012

On 2012-07-29, at 9:46, Arne Hüggenberg <hueggenberg <at> sportsandbytes.de> wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2012, at 6:11 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>
>> On 2012-07-29, at 8:24, Arne Hüggenberg <hueggenberg <at> sportsandbytes.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> im trying to resize a ext4 fs to > 16TB.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this is not possible today without advance planning.  There are some structures on disk
(group descriptors) that need to be larger for 64-bit filesystems. It is possible to format a 32-bit
filesystem with larger group descriptors using the "-O 64bit" option, but this doesn't happen by default
today.

>> Possibly we should start using the 64-byte group descriptors by default for filesystems over, say, 4 TB,
so they can be resized beyond 16 TB.

> I have no idea what the overhead for 64byte group descriptors is, but with LVM Setups becoming more common
and enabling incremental storage increases over a timeframe of several years, maybe 1TB filesystems
should be cutoff.

The overhead is relatively low.

>> It might also be possible to modify resize2fs to change the group descriptor size, but that isn't
possible today.

>>> Having had a look at the e2fsprogs 1.42.x release notes i thought that, with the online resize ioctl
having been merged in Kernel 3.3, this should be possible.

>>> But so far i have had no success achieving this:

(Continue reading)

Arne Hüggenberg | 29 Jul 21:08 2012
Picon

On Jul 29, 2012, at 8:30 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On 2012-07-29, at 9:46, Arne Hüggenberg <hueggenberg <at> sportsandbytes.de> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, this is not possible today without advance planning.  There are some structures on disk
(group descriptors) that need to be larger for 64-bit filesystems. It is possible to format a 32-bit
filesystem with larger group descriptors using the "-O 64bit" option, but this doesn't happen by default
today.

>>> Possibly we should start using the 64-byte group descriptors by default for filesystems over, say, 4
TB, so they can be resized beyond 16 TB.

>> I have no idea what the overhead for 64byte group descriptors is, but with LVM Setups becoming more common
and enabling incremental storage increases over a timeframe of several years, maybe 1TB filesystems
should be cutoff.

> The overhead is relatively low.
>
>>> It might also be possible to modify resize2fs to change the group descriptor size, but that isn't
possible today.

having been merged in Kernel 3.3, this should be possible.
(Continue reading)

Andreas Dilger | 2 Aug 22:15 2012

On 2012-07-29, at 12:08, Arne Hüggenberg <hueggenberg <at> sportsandbytes.de> wrote:

>>> how can i get the group descriptor size?
>>
>> Possibly with "debugfs stats"?
>
> ~ # debugfs /dev/vg0/lvol1
> debugfs 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)
> debugfs:  stats
> debugfs:  stats
>
> Filesystem volume name:   <none>
> Last mounted on:          /home/filestore_extern_1
> Filesystem UUID:          8fba4f1b-5311-4c9b-b8bf-def4957dc1bd
> Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
> Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype extent 64bit flex_bg
sparse_super large_file huge_file uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize
> Filesystem flags:         signed_directory_hash
> Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
> Filesystem state:         clean
> Errors behavior:          Continue
> Filesystem OS type:       Linux
> Inode count:              521011200
> Block count:              4168089600
> Reserved block count:     191127425
> Free blocks:              2162482117
(Continue reading)

Arne Hüggenberg | 29 Jul 18:48 2012
Picon

Re: resize2fs > 16TB questions

On Jul 29, 2012, at 6:11 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> ~ # tune2fs -l /dev/vg0/lvol1
>> tune2fs 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)
>> Filesystem volume name:   <none>
>> Last mounted on:          /home/filestore_extern_1
>> Filesystem UUID:          8fba4f1b-5311-4c9b-b8bf-def4957dc1bd
>> Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
>> Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
>> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent
64bit flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize

> Was the filesystem formatted with the 64bit option, or was this enabled after formatting time?  This puts
my earlier comment in doubt.

Can it even be changed after format time? I tried to do that to save a backup/restore cycle, but tune2fs would
not let me?

Arne Hüggenberg
System Administrator
Sports & Bytes GmbH