Daniel Manser | 10 Nov 14:15 2011
Picon

Can't set volume options: "operation failed"

We've had some strange issues on our two-node replicated cluster
recently. Now I'm trying to reconfigure the network.ping-timeout
setting on a volume, which results in "operation failed":

gluster> volume info vol0_web1
Volume Name: vol0_web1
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: glu1.example.org:/mnt/vol0/web1
Brick2: glu2.example.org:/mnt/vol0/web1
Options Reconfigured:
network.ping-timeout: 1

gluster> volume set vol0_web1 network.ping-timeout 20
operation failed

The log message in /var/log/glusterfs/etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log:
[2011-11-10 14:11:19.464338] E
[glusterd-handler.c:1900:glusterd_handle_set_volume] 0-: Unable to set
cli op: 16
[2011-11-10 14:11:19.465716] W
[socket.c:1494:__socket_proto_state_machine] 0-socket.management:
reading from socket failed. Error (Transport endpoint is not
connected), peer (127.0.0.1:987)

Has anyone an idea what might wrong here?
Daniel
(Continue reading)

Mohit Anchlia | 10 Nov 16:43 2011
Picon

Re: Can't set volume options: "operation failed"

Also post, gluster volume info all and gluster peer status

Also try restarting /etc/init.d/glusterd

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Daniel Manser <doenle85@...> wrote:
> We've had some strange issues on our two-node replicated cluster
> recently. Now I'm trying to reconfigure the network.ping-timeout
> setting on a volume, which results in "operation failed":
>
> gluster> volume info vol0_web1
> Volume Name: vol0_web1
> Type: Replicate
> Number of Bricks: 2
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: glu1.example.org:/mnt/vol0/web1
> Brick2: glu2.example.org:/mnt/vol0/web1
> Options Reconfigured:
> network.ping-timeout: 1
>
> gluster> volume set vol0_web1 network.ping-timeout 20
> operation failed
>
> The log message in /var/log/glusterfs/etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log:
> [2011-11-10 14:11:19.464338] E
> [glusterd-handler.c:1900:glusterd_handle_set_volume] 0-: Unable to set
> cli op: 16
> [2011-11-10 14:11:19.465716] W
> [socket.c:1494:__socket_proto_state_machine] 0-socket.management:
(Continue reading)

Greg_Swift | 14 Nov 20:26 2011

Re: Can't set volume options: "operation failed"

If you just restart glusterd using the init.d you can affect your volumes.

gluster-users-bounces@... wrote on 11/10/2011 09:43:44 AM:

> gluster-users-bounces@...
>
> Also post, gluster volume info all and gluster peer status
>
> Also try restarting /etc/init.d/glusterd
>
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Daniel Manser <doenle85@...>
wrote:
> > We've had some strange issues on our two-node replicated cluster
> > recently. Now I'm trying to reconfigure the network.ping-timeout
> > setting on a volume, which results in "operation failed":
> >
> > gluster> volume info vol0_web1
> > Volume Name: vol0_web1
> > Type: Replicate
> > Number of Bricks: 2
> > Transport-type: tcp
> > Bricks:
> > Brick1: glu1.example.org:/mnt/vol0/web1
> > Brick2: glu2.example.org:/mnt/vol0/web1
> > Options Reconfigured:
> > network.ping-timeout: 1
> >
> > gluster> volume set vol0_web1 network.ping-timeout 20
> > operation failed
(Continue reading)

krish | 15 Nov 04:28 2011

Re: Can't set volume options: "operation failed"

Daniel,

Were you trying to issue two gluster commands in quick succession on one
of the
peers? It would be great if you can attach the glusterd log files from
both the peers.

thanks,
krish