Tavian Barnes | 25 Feb 00:51 2010
Picon

Why report LVDS as disconnected when lid is closed?

What's the motivation behind commit 60821e0 (drm/nouveau: report LVDS
as disconnected if lid closed)?  The only noticeable effect I can see
from it is that if I turn on my laptop and then close the lid, X fails
to start as it can't find any screens.  In fact, if I close the lid
before nouveau initialises, I don't even get a framebuffer console.

I know I can just use the ignorelid module param, but what's the
benefit without it?

Tavian Barnes
Ben Skeggs | 25 Feb 01:01 2010
Picon

Re: Why report LVDS as disconnected when lid is closed?

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 18:51 -0500, Tavian Barnes wrote:
> What's the motivation behind commit 60821e0 (drm/nouveau: report LVDS
> as disconnected if lid closed)?  The only noticeable effect I can see
> from it is that if I turn on my laptop and then close the lid, X fails
> to start as it can't find any screens.  In fact, if I close the lid
> before nouveau initialises, I don't even get a framebuffer console.
>
> I know I can just use the ignorelid module param, but what's the
> benefit without it?
The benefit is people on laptops with docking stations can close the
lid, and have two external outputs light up.  Otherwise, LVDS (which
isn't visible because the lid is closed) will likely be programmed and
only one external display.

Ben.

Ben Skeggs | 25 Feb 05:39 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 10:01 +1000, Ben Skeggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 18:51 -0500, Tavian Barnes wrote:
> > What's the motivation behind commit 60821e0 (drm/nouveau: report LVDS
> > as disconnected if lid closed)?  The only noticeable effect I can see
> > from it is that if I turn on my laptop and then close the lid, X fails
> > to start as it can't find any screens.  In fact, if I close the lid
> > before nouveau initialises, I don't even get a framebuffer console.
> >
> > I know I can just use the ignorelid module param, but what's the
> > benefit without it?
> The benefit is people on laptops with docking stations can close the
> lid, and have two external outputs light up.  Otherwise, LVDS (which
> isn't visible because the lid is closed) will likely be programmed and
> only one external display.
Ok, there's been a slight change made in latest nouveau git that should
allow the best of both worlds.

Ben.

> Ben.

Tavian Barnes | 25 Feb 05:44 2010

On 24 February 2010 23:39, Ben Skeggs <skeggsb@...> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 10:01 +1000, Ben Skeggs wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 18:51 -0500, Tavian Barnes wrote:
>> > What's the motivation behind commit 60821e0 (drm/nouveau: report LVDS
>> > as disconnected if lid closed)?  The only noticeable effect I can see
>> > from it is that if I turn on my laptop and then close the lid, X fails
>> > to start as it can't find any screens.  In fact, if I close the lid
>> > before nouveau initialises, I don't even get a framebuffer console.
>> >
>> > I know I can just use the ignorelid module param, but what's the
>> > benefit without it?
>> The benefit is people on laptops with docking stations can close the
>> lid, and have two external outputs light up.  Otherwise, LVDS (which
>> isn't visible because the lid is closed) will likely be programmed and
>> only one external display.
> Ok, there's been a slight change made in latest nouveau git that should
> allow the best of both worlds.
>
> Ben.

I just saw it, thanks.  That seems like a good behaviour to me.

Tavian Barnes

Gmane