Duane Ellis | 3 Jul 18:01 2003

Re: arm-elf-gcc binaries

>> can any body with cygwin (no matter which version ) ... run these?

I am very familure with CYGWIN and it's problems.  I have been
supporting CYGWIN cross targets here for nearly 7 years,

I am the maintainer/developer of our custom 32bit and 24bit CPUs gcc &
gdb tool chains, and some others (our internal wacky GCC-6502, yes GCC
for 6502, don't ask!) and others...

CYGWIN is a mixed bag, there are many aspects of this, the problems
are for the most part the same as linux distributions but on steriods.

I also maintain and ship tool kits to numerous partners world wide.

There are THREE very important things you must understand about cygwin:

1) The CYGWIN DLL version number is only one problem.

   Solution when it occurs: Users must update the basic CYGWIN
   installation, not really a problem - you can have multiple versions
   installed. (ie: b19, etc..)

   Some Linux distributions have different Kernel Versions with
   various patches, so it's kind of the same.

   ie: Debian vrs RedHat vrs Slackware

   Since CYGWIN.DLL is the core of CYGWIN functionality it is
   kind of like the "kernel" version in Linux.
(Continue reading)

Yadid Ayzenberg | 7 Jul 08:55 2003

RE: arm-elf-gcc binaries

A big thanks to all fo you.
I think Im begining to understand the pitfalls of distributing a binary tool
chain.

Yadid