Telmo Santos Carlos | 30 Aug 13:09 2012
Picon

Portugal Portuguese translation

Hi...

How can I sign up to help with the Portuguese (Portugal) translation?

Benny Malengier | 30 Aug 19:12 2012
Picon

Re: Portugal Portuguese translation

Jerome manages the translation effort. He does the French himself. I do think there is a Portuguese translator, but perhaps it was Brazilian.

Benny

How can I sign up to help with the Portuguese (Portugal) translation?

jerome | 30 Aug 19:28 2012
Picon

Re: Portugal Portuguese translation

You are welcome!

> "I do think there is a Portuguese translator, but perhaps it was Brazilian."

There is one translator for Portuguese (Portugal), see header reference into 'pt_PT.po' file:
http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/maintenance/gramps34/po/pt_PT.po

He made some contributions.
Maybe you should try to contact him?

Two "Brazilian" are also active on wiki, addons and translations (wiki and pt_BR stuff):

* 'lcc'
* 'amalvarenga'

> How can I sign up to help with the Portuguese (Portugal) translation?

For the program or the wiki (manual, web pages, etc ...) ?

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:Translators
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps:Language_policy
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Help

regards,
Jérôme

Jerome manages the translation effort. He does the French himself. I do think there is a Portuguese
translator, but perhaps it was Brazilian.

Benny

How can I sign up to help with the Portuguese (Portugal) translation?

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference
André Marcelo Alvarenga | 1 Sep 15:34 2012

Em Quinta-feira 30 Agosto 2012, jerome escreveu:

> You are welcome!

> > "I do think there is a Portuguese translator, but perhaps it was Brazilian."

> There is one translator for Portuguese (Portugal), see header reference into 'pt_PT.po' file:

> http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/maintenance/gramps34/po/pt_PT.po

> He made some contributions.

> Maybe you should try to contact him?

> Two "Brazilian" are also active on wiki, addons and translations (wiki and pt_BR stuff):

> * 'lcc'

> * 'amalvarenga'

> > How can I sign up to help with the Portuguese (Portugal) translation?

> For the program or the wiki (manual, web pages, etc ...) ?

> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:Translators

> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps:Language_policy

> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Help

> regards,

> Jérôme

Hi Telmo.

You're welcome!

I'm André. (amalvarenga)

Feel free to ask me anything about pt_BR translation.

Best regards.

--

André Marcelo Alvarenga

Frederico Muñoz | 5 Sep 21:36 2012
Picon

Re: Portugal Portuguese translation

jerome <romjerome <at> yahoo.fr> writes:

(My message didn't reach the list because I forgot I had unsub from most
mailing lists due to using Gmane for NNTP access. Resending, with some
more references, so disregard previous ones):

This thread from 2011 is useful to understand the context (removal of
pt_BR from GRAMPS, my own pt_PT version that was made to prevent not
having any pt at all, etc):

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Portugese-Brazilian-translation-td3013230.html

I had private conversations with lcc which were very
fruitful. Unfortunately I didn't had to time to follow up to 100%
translation but I was under the impression that at least part of the
work I did would be merged in the pt_BR file, but since I do not find my
name in the file I suppose that another approach was followed. Whatever
works, the important is to have the translations.

Now, the message I sent and that didn't reach the list:

Hello,

I've veen AWOL for a while, just found this message by accident!

I have indeed worked on the Portuguese translation, both in the
webpage and in Gramps proper. I took the original Portuguese
translation that was done by a Brazilian chap and mostly changed it as
little as I could, augmenting it and in general:

- Following a "mid-Atlantic" approach whenever possible, i.e. not
changing things just for the sake of change or because of minor
geographic preferences
- Make it more consistent with itself, adopting the same expressions
over and over.
- Apply genealogical terms that are used in Portuguese, instead of a
direct translation from English that bypasses the rich local
vocabulary.
- Use the latest orthography - which I personally abhor by the way,
but not much more than the 1911 one.

I have the emails from about a year ago if anyone is interested. I was
aiming at a 100% completed pt.po, but unfortunately never did finish
it. It ended up however being much more closer than the pt_BR one.

I still stand by most of the decisions above, I find that it is
possible to maintain the bulk of the translation the same, saving the
differences for when they are really necessary (e.g. "apelido" means
both "nickname" and "surname" in Portuguese: in Brazil they almost
exclusively use it for "nickname", in Portugal for "surname", both are
correct but using "sobrenome" is likely not ideal in Portugal).

I actually had something drafted in the wiki to coordinate this:
general guidelines, a glossary (I used bith Portuguese and Brazilian
resources, which are mostly the same, with some Brazilian ones being a
bit more thorough), etc, etc. I can put the content of my previous
emails there as well, I think it would serve as a decent basis for a
100% complete Portuguese translation, and also a way to make it easier
to have pt_PT and pt_BR differ only when necessary. Why? Because it
means less work for all involved, just that. Two different persons
translating independently will always have different translations,
this is not due to differences in the variant. By reducing the amount
of independent translations it is easier to make it stay as close as
100% as possible.

Please tell me if creating the above page is useful.

--

I remain interested in having a high quality Portuguese translations,
which means one that adheres to centuries-old genealogical vocabulary

Best regards,

Frederico

Frederico Muñoz | 5 Sep 21:58 2012
Picon

Re: Portugal Portuguese translation

Sorry for the multiple messages, but:

> Please tell me if creating the above page is useful.

I had already created the page:

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=User:Fsmunoz/Tradu%C3%A7%C3%A3o_Portuguesa

This contains a more structured presentations of my approach, including
the genealogy-specific resources used (which are mostly from the "Manual
de Genealogia Brasileira" since it condenses the information used in
Portugal as well).

Regards,

Frederico

Live Security Virtual Conference