Armisael | 16 Oct 23:36 2010
Picon

Geoserver + DTED store

Hi everybody!

I've been able to enable gdal on geoserver and now I can create a DTED store,
but it seems that something is wrong with my data, since I get an
error for every path I insert in the store configuration.

Which file do I have to insert in the url field?
Right now I get "Could not list layers for this store, an error
occurred retrieving them: The Provided input is not supported by this
reader" for every file I tried.

The DTED data directory structure is attached, I found them here:
http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/ZA/group121.html

Hope someone can help,
Thank you!
--
Stefano
/usr/local/geoserver-2.0.2/data_dir/data/zambia/
|   |-- dmed
|   |-- dted
|   |   |-- e020
|   |   |   |-- n00.avg
|   |   |   |-- n00.dt0
|   |   |   |-- n00.max
|   |   |   |-- n00.min
|   |   |   |-- s01.avg
(Continue reading)

Armisael | 18 Oct 05:20 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

OK, it seems that I have to insert the dt0 file in order to create the
store, and it works!
Not, the point is that I have 414 dt0 files! Do I really have to
create a store for each of them?
Do you know if there is something more appropriate for this task? Or
at least if there is an automatic way to do it?

Thank you so much!

--
Stefano

On 16 October 2010 17:36, Armisael <armisael.silix <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I've been able to enable gdal on geoserver and now I can create a DTED store,
> but it seems that something is wrong with my data, since I get an
> error for every path I insert in the store configuration.
>
> Which file do I have to insert in the url field?
> Right now I get "Could not list layers for this store, an error
> occurred retrieving them: The Provided input is not supported by this
> reader" for every file I tried.
>
> The DTED data directory structure is attached, I found them here:
> http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/ZA/group121.html
>
> Hope someone can help,
> Thank you!

Andrea Aime | 18 Oct 08:34 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM, Armisael <armisael.silix <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, it seems that I have to insert the dt0 file in order to create the
> store, and it works!
> Not, the point is that I have 414 dt0 files! Do I really have to
> create a store for each of them?
> Do you know if there is something more appropriate for this task? Or
> at least if there is an automatic way to do it?

Many files. Are they tiles of the same seamless data set?
If so, put all of them in the same directory and point the image mosaic plugin
to it.
Otherwise you can use the REST config extension and create a script to import
them all with your preferred scripting language

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584962313
fax:     +39 0584962313

http://www.geo-solutions.it
(Continue reading)

Simone Giannecchini | 18 Oct 09:50 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

I would also add this:

- create a script using gdal traslate and convert them to geotiff
- merge the single files, in case they are small into larger geotiff files.

Aside, can you tell us something about what you are doing with GeoServer?
Simone.
===
Notice that our office phone number has recently changed!
Please, update your records!
===
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Founder
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584962313
fax:      +39 0584962313
mob:    +39 333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonegiannecchini
http://twitter.com/simogeo

Armisael | 20 Oct 04:42 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

Thank you for your suggestion, if I've understood correctly I should:
- convert all the tiles in geotiff
- merge them into larger geotiff if needed
- create an index file (shapefile) for the ImageMosaic plugin and
configure it in geoserver

I'm developing a webgis for an humanitarian organization working in
Zambia, right now I'm trying to load generic data like boundaries,
cities, interesting location and DTED, then I'll have to create new
vector and raster layers from their database...

I'll let you know!

Thanks again

--
Stefano

On 18 October 2010 03:50, Simone Giannecchini
<simone.giannecchini <at> geo-solutions.it> wrote:
> I would also add this:
>
> - create a script using gdal traslate and convert them to geotiff
> - merge the single files, in case they are small into larger geotiff files.
>
> Aside, can you tell us something about what you are doing with GeoServer?
> Simone.
> ===
> Notice that our office phone number has recently changed!
(Continue reading)

Armisael | 20 Oct 17:27 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

Ok, some update,

thanks to you now I can see my DTED level 0! But there is a (little?)
problem: it seems that in the resulting image the tiles are not
correctly merged, since every single tile has its own color range, so
at the borders there is a marked difference. This happen with all the
methods I tried:
- using gdal_merge.py to merge all the tiles directly from the dt0 files;
- using gdal_translate to create a tiff for every dt0 file and then
merging them with gdal_merge.py;
- using the imagemosaic plugin on the 414 small tiffs created from the
dt0 files.

Note that gdal_translate called with param "-expand rgb" (just for
testing) gave me "Error : band 1 has no color table".
Note also that the generated geotiff appears completely black, the
only way to see the DTED is to open it using geoserver, or to increase
the contrast using an image editor... So the file is correctly
created, but something wrong happens on the color interval used,
probably.

Thank you!

--
Stefano

On 19 October 2010 22:42, Armisael <armisael.silix <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your suggestion, if I've understood correctly I should:
> - convert all the tiles in geotiff
> - merge them into larger geotiff if needed
(Continue reading)

Simone Giannecchini | 3 Nov 13:41 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

Ciao Stefano,
please read below...
===

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Armisael <armisael.silix <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, some update,
>
> thanks to you now I can see my DTED level 0! But there is a (little?)
> problem: it seems that in the resulting image the tiles are not
(Continue reading)

Armisael | 3 Nov 21:06 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

Ciao Simone,

thanks for your reply!
I solved the problem just scaling each tile from 0 to 65535 using gdal_translate, but now that I read your post it's perfectly clear why I had that result, and how to solve the problem in a proper way... Thank you!

The next step will be to try to create a raster from a vector, let see what I can do =)

Grazie ancora!

--
Stefano

Notice that our office phone number has recently changed!
Please, update your records!
===
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Founder
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584962313
fax:      +39 0584962313
mob:    +39 333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonegiannecchini
http://twitter.com/simogeo

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Armisael <armisael.silix <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, some update,
>
> thanks to you now I can see my DTED level 0! But there is a (little?)
> problem: it seems that in the resulting image the tiles are not
> correctly merged, since every single tile has its own color range, so
> at the borders there is a marked difference. This happen with all the
> methods I tried:
> - using gdal_merge.py to merge all the tiles directly from the dt0 files;
> - using gdal_translate to create a tiff for every dt0 file and then
> merging them with gdal_merge.py;
> - using the imagemosaic plugin on the 414 small tiffs created from the
> dt0 files.
>
> Note that gdal_translate called with param "-expand rgb" (just for
> testing) gave me "Error : band 1 has no color table".

The dted is single band raw data (16 bits) I don't see how a color
expansion would work on this data. It needs
a colormapped imagery.

> Note also that the generated geotiff appears completely black, the
> only way to see the DTED is to open it using geoserver, or to increase
> the contrast using an image editor... So the file is correctly
> created, but something wrong happens on the color interval used,
> probably.

Again, I see a little confisione here. DTED data is not a picture is
elevation data on 16 bits, therefore if you try to visualize it
directly you should see all black since
the heighest point on the eart is less than 9000 while the maximum
value allowed by 16 bits is much bigger, therefore the dynamic of the
data is compressed towards zero (black).

Here is what you need to do:

-1- try to merge the data into larget geotiff + add overviews
-2- use a proper style, you can find some more info here:
http://blog.geoserver.org/2008/11/20/raster-symbolizer-tricks-part-1/

Ciao,
Simone.

> Thank you!
>
> --
> Stefano
>

> On 19 October 2010 22:42, Armisael <armisael.silix <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you for your suggestion, if I've understood correctly I should:
>> - convert all the tiles in geotiff
>> - merge them into larger geotiff if needed
>> - create an index file (shapefile) for the ImageMosaic plugin and
>> configure it in geoserver
>>
>> I'm developing a webgis for an humanitarian organization working in
>> Zambia, right now I'm trying to load generic data like boundaries,
>> cities, interesting location and DTED, then I'll have to create new
>> vector and raster layers from their database...
>>
>> I'll let you know!
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> --
>> Stefano
>>

>> On 18 October 2010 03:50, Simone Giannecchini
>> <simone.giannecchini <at> geo-solutions.it> wrote:
>>> I would also add this:
>>>
>>> - create a script using gdal traslate and convert them to geotiff
>>> - merge the single files, in case they are small into larger geotiff files.
>>>
>>> Aside, can you tell us something about what you are doing with GeoServer?
>>> Simone.
>>> ===
>>> Notice that our office phone number has recently changed!
>>> Please, update your records!
>>> ===
>>> Ing. Simone Giannecchini
>>> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
>>> Founder
>>> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
>>> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
>>> Italy
>>>
>>> phone: +39 0584962313
>>> fax:      +39 0584962313
>>> mob:    +39 333 8128928
>>>

>>> http://www.geo-solutions.it
>>> http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonegiannecchini
>>> http://twitter.com/simogeo

Simone Giannecchini | 4 Nov 08:12 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

here you go:

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_rasterize.html

Simone.
===

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Armisael <armisael.silix <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> data is compressed towards zero (black).
>>

>> Here is what you need to do:
>>
>> -1- try to merge the data into larget geotiff + add overviews
>> -2- use a proper style, you can find some more info here:
>> http://blog.geoserver.org/2008/11/20/raster-symbolizer-tricks-part-1/
>>

>> Ciao,
>> Simone.
>>

>> > Thank you!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stefano

>> > Nokia and AT&T present the 2010 Calling All Innovators-North America
>> > contest
>> > Create new apps & games for the Nokia N8 for consumers in  U.S. and
>> > Canada
>> > $10 million total in prizes - $4M cash, 500 devices, nearly $6M in
>> > marketing
>> > Develop with Nokia Qt SDK, Web Runtime, or Java and Publish to Ovi Store

http://p.sf.net/sfu/SAP-dev2dev
Armisael | 8 Nov 06:23 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

Thank you very much!

Actually I think that what I need is a bit more complicated.

I have basically some (hundreds) points, with some values associated (some kind of "impact" metrics). What I need is a raster to show the area affected by the points, depending on their impact and maybe (but I'm not sure yet) other information like altitude or population.

My idea was to write a script and calculate the impact for each pixel, and then create the raster. But I was wondering if there is already something for doing it, or at least an example in python/C++ for it.

Thank you!

--
Stefano

> [...]

>> data is compressed towards zero (black).
>>

>> Here is what you need to do:
>>
>> -1- try to merge the data into larget geotiff + add overviews
>> -2- use a proper style, you can find some more info here:
>> http://blog.geoserver.org/2008/11/20/raster-symbolizer-tricks-part-1/
>>

>> Ciao,
>> Simone.
>>

>> > Thank you!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stefano

>> > Nokia and AT&T present the 2010 Calling All Innovators-North America
>> > contest
>> > Create new apps & games for the Nokia N8 for consumers in  U.S. and
>> > Canada
>> > $10 million total in prizes - $4M cash, 500 devices, nearly $6M in
>> > marketing
>> > Develop with Nokia Qt SDK, Web Runtime, or Java and Publish to Ovi Store

Armisael | 9 Nov 06:42 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

Okay, I got it!

Now I have a script that reads my points from the database and creates a raster!
But, like usual, I have a question: the geotiff image size is 578x479, at the moment. The problem is that on a large scale I see only a low-resolution version of the image (see http://armisael.silix.org/files/zambia_map_different_zoom.jpg ). It seems that the pixel size of the geotiff is maintained through the scale factor. Is it related to the way I create the geotiff?

I'm doing the following:

(x1, x2, y1, y2) = layer.GetExtent()
width = (int) ( (x2-x1) * RESOLUTION )
height = (int) ( (y2-y1) * RESOLUTION )

driver = osgeo.gdal.GetDriverByName( FORMAT )
dst_ds = driver.Create( OUT_NAME, width, height, 1, osgeo.gdal.GDT_Byte )
raster = numpy.zeros( (height, width), dtype=numpy.uint8 )

dst_ds.SetGeoTransform( [ x1, (x2-x1)/width, 0., y1, 0., (y2-y1)/height ] )
srs = osgeo.osr.SpatialReference()
srs.SetWellKnownGeogCS( 'WGS84' )
dst_ds.SetProjection( srs.ExportToWkt() )

Is there something wrong?
Thank you so much for your time

--
Stefano

> [...]

>> data is compressed towards zero (black).
>>

>> Here is what you need to do:
>>
>> -1- try to merge the data into larget geotiff + add overviews
>> -2- use a proper style, you can find some more info here:
>> http://blog.geoserver.org/2008/11/20/raster-symbolizer-tricks-part-1/
>>

>> Ciao,
>> Simone.
>>

>> > Thank you!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stefano

>> > Nokia and AT&T present the 2010 Calling All Innovators-North America
>> > contest
>> > Create new apps & games for the Nokia N8 for consumers in  U.S. and
>> > Canada
>> > $10 million total in prizes - $4M cash, 500 devices, nearly $6M in
>> > marketing
>> > Develop with Nokia Qt SDK, Web Runtime, or Java and Publish to Ovi Store

Armisael | 9 Nov 21:02 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver + DTED store

Okay never mind,

it was a cache problem, I tried to load it today and it worked perfectly...

Thank you all guys!

--
Stefano

> [...]

>> data is compressed towards zero (black).
>>

>> Here is what you need to do:
>>
>> -1- try to merge the data into larget geotiff + add overviews
>> -2- use a proper style, you can find some more info here:
>> http://blog.geoserver.org/2008/11/20/raster-symbolizer-tricks-part-1/
>>

>> Ciao,
>> Simone.
>>

>> > Thank you!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stefano

>> > Nokia and AT&T present the 2010 Calling All Innovators-North America
>> > contest
>> > Create new apps & games for the Nokia N8 for consumers in  U.S. and
>> > Canada
>> > $10 million total in prizes - $4M cash, 500 devices, nearly $6M in
>> > marketing
>> > Develop with Nokia Qt SDK, Web Runtime, or Java and Publish to Ovi Store

Siddeswara.Guru | 8 Nov 06:40 2010

Geoserver fails to start

Hello All,

 The Geoserver is not starting and giving following exceptions. I had Geoserver 2.0.2 and for some reasons it started to throw following exception, I reinstalled geoserver2.0.2 still error persists with the data I was using before. If I don’t point to the old data directory, Geoserver works fine. Please help me in fixing the problem.

Regards

S.M.Guru

com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: maxInputMemory : maxInputMemory : maxInputMemory : maxInputMemory

---- Debugging information ----

message             : maxInputMemory : maxInputMemory

cause-exception     : com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException

cause-message       : maxInputMemory : maxInputMemory

class               : org.geoserver.wcs.WCSInfoImpl

required-type       : org.geoserver.wcs.WCSInfoImpl

line number         : 34

-------------------------------

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:89)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:76)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:60)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.start(TreeUnmarshaller.java:137)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.unmarshal(AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.java:33)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:923)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:909)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:861)

                at org.geoserver.config.util.XStreamPersister.load(XStreamPersister.java:409)

                at org.geoserver.config.util.XStreamServiceLoader.load(XStreamServiceLoader.java:55)

                at org.geoserver.config.GeoServerLoader.loadGeoServer(GeoServerLoader.java:230)

                at org.geoserver.config.GeoServerLoader.postProcessBeforeInitialization(GeoServerLoader.java:142)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyBeanPostProcessorsBeforeInitialization(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:350)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1330)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:473)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:221)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:429)

                at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:729)

                at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:381)

                at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:255)

                at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:199)

                at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:45)

                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4135)

                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4630)

                at org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.start(ManagerServlet.java:1276)

                at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.start(HTMLManagerServlet.java:624)

                at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doGet(HTMLManagerServlet.java:136)

                at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)

                at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)

                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)

                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)

                at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:563)

                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

                at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)

                at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)

                at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)

                at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)

                at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)

                at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException: maxInputMemory : maxInputMemory

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DefaultMapper.realClass(DefaultMapper.java:68)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DynamicProxyMapper.realClass(DynamicProxyMapper.java:71)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.PackageAliasingMapper.realClass(PackageAliasingMapper.java:88)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ClassAliasingMapper.realClass(ClassAliasingMapper.java:86)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ArrayMapper.realClass(ArrayMapper.java:96)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CachingMapper.realClass(CachingMapper.java:52)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.determineType(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:347)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUnmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:208)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:162)

                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:82)

                ... 48 more

com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: encodeFeatureMember : encodeFeatureMember : encodeFeatureMember : encodeFeatureMember

---- Debugging information ----

message             : encodeFeatureMember : encodeFeatureMember

cause-exception     : com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException

cause-message       : encodeFeatureMember : encodeFeatureMember

class               : org.geoserver.wfs.WFSInfoImpl

required-type       : org.geoserver.wfs.WFSInfoImpl

line number         : 46

-------------------------------

[...]

Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException: encodeFeatureMember : encodeFeatureMember

[...]

08 Nov 16:01:38 INFO [org.geoserver] - Loaded service 'wms', enabled

Nov 8, 2010 4:01:38 PM it.geosolutions.imageio.gdalframework.GDALUtilities loadGDAL

WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no gdaljni in java.library.path

08 Nov 16:01:38 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl-4e0b98bf:12475d46fdd:-7fd9'

08 Nov 16:01:38 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl-4e0b98bf:12475d46fdd:-7fdc'

08 Nov 16:01:38 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl--56b029fd:12aad033542:301'

08 Nov 16:01:38 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl--329f45ae:12a59152a5b:-7c3a'

08 Nov 16:01:39 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl--2ae4cd2b:12aa68bc24a:376d'

08 Nov 16:01:39 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl--603477f7:12b18cf48c1:-5994'

08 Nov 16:01:39 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl-701d0333:12bf5e48ebb:1d71'

08 Nov 16:01:39 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl--603477f7:12b18cf48c1:-5997'

08 Nov 16:01:39 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl--513a5653:12aa6ea5bab:-7ffd'

08 Nov 16:01:39 INFO [geoserver.catalog] - Disposing datastore 'DataStoreInfoImpl--757496f6:12a12985c96:-8000'

08 Nov 16:01:39 ERROR [context.ContextLoader] - Context initialization failed

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'CSVOutputFormat' defined in URL [jar:file:/opt/apache-tomcat-6.0.28/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/wfs-2.0.2.jar!/applicationContext.xml]: Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Could not instantiate bean class [org.geoserver.wfs.response.CSVOutputFormat]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: A valid WFS object must be provided in order for this class to work

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.autowireConstructor(ConstructorResolver.java:254)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireConstructor(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:925)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:835)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:440)

[...]

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Could not instantiate bean class [org.geoserver.wfs.response.CSVOutputFormat]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: A valid WFS object must be provided in order for this class to work

                at org.springframework.beans.BeanUtils.instantiateClass(BeanUtils.java:115)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.SimpleInstantiationStrategy.instantiate(SimpleInstantiationStrategy.java:87)

                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.autowireConstructor(ConstructorResolver.java:248)

                ... 37 more

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: A valid WFS object must be provided in order for this class to work

                at org.geoserver.wfs.response.CSVOutputFormat.<init>(CSVOutputFormat.java:55)

                at org.springframework.beans.BeanUtils.instantiateClass(BeanUtils.java:100)

                ... 39 more

Nov 8, 2010 4:01:39 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

SEVERE: Error listenerStart

Nov 8, 2010 4:01:39 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

SEVERE: Context [/geoserver] startup failed due to previous errors

Nov 8, 2010 4:01:39 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc

SEVERE: The web application [/geoserver] registered the JBDC driver [oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.

Nov 8, 2010 4:01:39 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc

SEVERE: The web application [/geoserver] registered the JBDC driver [org.postgresql.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.

Nov 8, 2010 4:01:39 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc

SEVERE: The web application [/geoserver] registered the JBDC driver [org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.

Nov 8, 2010 4:01:39 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc

SEVERE: The web application [/geoserver] registered the JBDC driver [org.h2.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.

Nov 8, 2010 4:01:39 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads

SEVERE: The web application [/geoserver] appears to have started a thread named [Timer-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

log4j:ERROR Error occured while converting date.

java.lang.NullPointerException

                at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)

                at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.getChars(AbstractStringBuilder.java:328)

                at java.lang.StringBuffer.getChars(StringBuffer.java:201)

                at org.apache.log4j.helpers.ISO8601DateFormat.format(ISO8601DateFormat.java:128)

                at java.text.DateFormat.format(DateFormat.java:316)

                at org.apache.log4j.helpers.PatternParser$DatePatternConverter.convert(PatternParser.java:444)

                at org.apache.log4j.helpers.PatternConverter.format(PatternConverter.java:64)

                at org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout.format(PatternLayout.java:503)

                at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.subAppend(WriterAppender.java:301)

                at org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.subAppend(RollingFileAppender.java:236)

                at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.append(WriterAppender.java:159)

                at org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.doAppend(AppenderSkeleton.java:230)

                at org.apache.log4j.helpers.AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders(AppenderAttachableImpl.java:65)

                at org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders(Category.java:203)

                at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:388)

                at org.apache.log4j.Category.log(Category.java:835)

                at org.geotools.util.logging.Log4JLogger.log(Log4JLogger.java:122)

                at org.geotools.util.logging.LoggerAdapter.logp(LoggerAdapter.java:429)

                at org.geotools.util.logging.LoggerAdapter.logp(LoggerAdapter.java:475)

                at org.geotools.util.logging.LoggerAdapter.log(LoggerAdapter.java:344)

                at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.loadingFailure(FactoryRegistry.java:974)

                at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.register(FactoryRegistry.java:849)

                at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.scanForPlugins(FactoryRegistry.java:773)

                at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.scanForPluginsIfNeeded(FactoryRegistry.java:808)

                at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.getUnfilteredProviders(FactoryRegistry.java:229)

                at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.getServiceImplementation(FactoryRegistry.java:429)

                at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry.getServiceProvider(FactoryRegistry.java:364)

                at org.geotools.factory.FactoryCreator.getServiceProvider(FactoryCreator.java:143)

                at org.geotools.referencing.ReferencingFactoryFinder.getFactory(ReferencingFactoryFinder.java:193)

                at org.geotools.referencing.ReferencingFactoryFinder.getCoordinateOperationFactory(ReferencingFactoryFinder.java:318)

                at org.vfny.geoserver.wcs.responses.DescribeResponse.<clinit>(DescribeResponse.java:131)

                at sun.misc.Unsafe.ensureClassInitialized(Native Method)

                at sun.reflect.UnsafeFieldAccessorFactory.newFieldAccessor(UnsafeFieldAccessorFactory.java:25)

                at sun.reflect.ReflectionFactory.newFieldAccessor(ReflectionFactory.java:122)

                at java.lang.reflect.Field.acquireFieldAccessor(Field.java:918)

                at java.lang.reflect.Field.getFieldAccessor(Field.java:899)

                at java.lang.reflect.Field.get(Field.java:358)

                at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesStaticFinal(WebappClassLoader.java:2020)

                at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferences(WebappClassLoader.java:1883)

                at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.stop(WebappClassLoader.java:1787)

                at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.stop(WebappLoader.java:738)

                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stop(StandardContext.java:4812)

                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4675)

[...]

08 Nov 16:01:40 WARN [geotools.factory] - Can't load a service for category "CoordinateOperationFactory". Cause is "NullPointerException".

Exception in thread "Timer-0" java.lang.NullPointerException

                at org.hsqldb.resources.BundleHandler.getString(Unknown Source)

                at org.hsqldb.Trace.getMessage(Unknown Source)

                at org.hsqldb.Trace.getMessage(Unknown Source)

                at org.hsqldb.Result.<init>(Unknown Source)

                at org.hsqldb.DatabaseCommandInterpreter.execute(Unknown Source)

                at org.hsqldb.Session.sqlExecuteDirectNoPreChecks(Unknown Source)

                at org.hsqldb.Session.execute(Unknown Source)

                at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)

                at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.execute(Unknown Source)

                at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DirectEpsgFactory.isConnectionValid(DirectEpsgFactory.java:3116)

                at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DirectEpsgFactory.getConnection(DirectEpsgFactory.java:3082)

                at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DirectEpsgFactory.dispose(DirectEpsgFactory.java:2994)

                at org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory$Disposer.run(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:219)

Andrea Aime | 8 Nov 08:35 2010
Picon

Re: Geoserver fails to start

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:40 AM,  <Siddeswara.Guru <at> csiro.au> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>  The Geoserver is not starting and giving following exceptions. I had
> Geoserver 2.0.2 and for some reasons it started to throw following
> exception, I reinstalled geoserver2.0.2 still error persists with the data I
> was using before. If I don’t point to the old data directory, Geoserver
> works fine. Please help me in fixing the problem.

As far as I can see from the error you installed a more recent GeoServer
which altered the directory data structure a bit and then went back to 2.0.2
However 2.0.2 is encountering a field it does not know about.

To fix that locate wcs.xml in your data directory and remove from it
the tags named maxInputMemory and maxOutputMemory

For the future remember, you can always get a data directory from
version N and use it with version N+1, but once you've done that
it may be hard to go back: always make a backup of the data directory
if you plan to downgrade GeoServer

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime