Daniel.Gnerre | 4 Jul 11:25 2011
Picon

QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Hi list,

I'm trying to open ECW files in version 1.7 on Windows, but it doesn't work (QGIS crashes)... It worked well with 1.6. I've tried this method, with no success :

http://www.qgis.org/wiki/OSGeo4wSetup#Installing_support_for_raster__.2A.ECW_.28ERMapper.29_and_.2A.sid_.28MrSid.29_formats

Any idea on the exact procedure to follow ?

Thanks

Daniel

Giovanni Manghi | 4 Jul 11:28 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

you cannot use the last erdas SDK, you need to use the one before it
because the gdal-ecw package in osgeo4w was not yet updated to handle
correctly the last version of the Erdas dlls.

cheers

-- G --

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 11:25 +0200, Daniel.Gnerre@... wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to open ECW files in version 1.7 on Windows, but it doesn't
> work (QGIS crashes)... It worked well with 1.6. I've tried this
> method, with no success :

http://www.qgis.org/wiki/OSGeo4wSetup#Installing_support_for_raster__.2A.ECW_.28ERMapper.29_and_.2A.sid_.28MrSid.29_formats

> Any idea on the exact procedure to follow ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel.Gnerre | 5 Jul 08:26 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Thanks Giovanni,

I've installed an older package of erdas SDK and now I can open an ECW file in QGIS 1.7. Unfortunatly, when I open a vector shapefile after the ECW, QGIS crashes... Any idea ?

Thanks.

Daniel

Giovanni Manghi | 5 Jul 08:54 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

> I've installed an older package of erdas SDK and now I can open an ECW
> file in QGIS 1.7. Unfortunatly, when I open a vector shapefile after
> the ECW, QGIS crashes... Any idea ?

hi,

is this replicable with every vector and also in other machines?

If yes please file a ticket attaching two small samples, of the raster
and vector, so we can try replicate the bug locally.

Cheers

-- Giovanni --
Noli Sicad | 5 Jul 09:07 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Needs a new version, try compiling one using the material / code mentioned.

http://www.mail-archive.com/qgis-user-qjLDD68F18NyQMAyxoHuMA <at> public.gmane.org/msg10331.html

Noli

On 7/5/11, Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi@...> wrote:

>> I've installed an older package of erdas SDK and now I can open an ECW
>> file in QGIS 1.7. Unfortunatly, when I open a vector shapefile after
>> the ECW, QGIS crashes... Any idea ?
>
> hi,
>
> is this replicable with every vector and also in other machines?
>
> If yes please file a ticket attaching two small samples, of the raster
> and vector, so we can try replicate the bug locally.
>
> Cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --

Daniel.Gnerre | 5 Jul 09:31 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

I install QGIS with Windows binaries or osgeo4w, I've nothing to compile versions from sources...

I'll try to reproduce the problem on another computer, and let you know.

Thanks

Daniel
Daniel.Gnerre | 5 Jul 10:51 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I'm really unable to make work ECW on Windows XP and QGIS 1.7.0... I tried a fresh install from OSGEO4W on a new computer, but impossible to open ECW files... I'have followed this procedure :

http://georezo.net/wiki/main/logiciels/qgis/installation

And tried with V80, V90 and V10 of ERDAS SDK, with no success. Will the ECW plugin be integrated in 1.7 as it was in 1.6 ?

Thanks.

Daniel

Ramon Andinach | 6 Jul 01:22 2011
Picon

Re: Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

On 05/07/2011, at 16:51 , Daniel.Gnerre@... wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry, but I'm really unable to make work ECW on Windows XP and QGIS 1.7.0... I tried a fresh install from
OSGEO4W on a new computer, but impossible to open ECW files... I'have followed this procedure :

> http://georezo.net/wiki/main/logiciels/qgis/installation
>
> And tried with V80, V90 and V10 of ERDAS SDK, with no success. Will the ECW plugin be integrated in 1.7 as it
was in 1.6 ?

> Thanks.
>
> Daniel

FWIW, my OSGeo4W install works.
I've tended to follow Micha's instruction set[1], with the variation for my install that
1) the binaries now go in C:/OSGeo4W/bin/gdalplugins/1.8
2) the package is now gdal-ecw

and that looks exactly like what your instruction set says.[2]

So, I'm confused too, and am watching with interest.

-ramon.

[1] http://www.surfaces.co.il/?p=793
[2] Interestingly on the standalone copies that I look after, I've not had to invoke variation 1. when they
upgraded to 1.7 so their binaries are still in c:/windows/system32 or sysWOW64.
Daniel.Gnerre | 5 Jul 11:08 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

I think the problem is the version of ECW SDK. We need 4.1 and now I only can get the 4.2 version by ERDAS. Has anyone a link to download ERDAS ECW SDK 4.1 ??

Thanks

Daniel

Giovanni Manghi | 5 Jul 16:41 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 11:08 +0200, Daniel.Gnerre@... wrote:
> I think the problem is the version of ECW SDK. We need 4.1 and now I
> only can get the 4.2 version by ERDAS. Has anyone a link to download
> ERDAS ECW SDK 4.1 ??

You definitely need the 4.1 version of the SDK.

The problem is that is not clear if the SDK is redistributable or not.
>From what I read in the license it seems so, but I'm no expert of this
matters...

in any case with the 4.1 version it works all fine, see here

http://ubuntuone.com/p/12sy/

cheers

-- Giovanni --
Daniel.Gnerre | 6 Jul 07:58 2011
Picon

Re: Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Giovanni,

I have problems with 4.1 too. Maybe it is ok on Ubuntu, but not on XP.

Daniel
Giovanni Manghi | 6 Jul 18:10 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 07:58 +0200, Daniel.Gnerre@... wrote:
> Giovanni,
>
> I have problems with 4.1 too. Maybe it is ok on Ubuntu, but not on
> XP.

Hi,

I just tested again on my XP (virtual) machine that I use to maintain
very clean for tests purposes. I have no problems whatsoever with the
dlls from the 4.1 SDK and qgis 1.7/trunk installed with osgeo4w.

cheers

-- Giovanni --
Daniel.Gnerre | 7 Jul 07:20 2011
Picon

Re: Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Thanks Giovanni for your tests. On my side, I have the same configuration as you, but QGIS crashes with ECW... I have converted my files with gdal to TIF with jpeg compression and tiles, and it work well and fast.

Daniel

Bernie_d | 4 Nov 09:33 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

hello

does anybody have some news concerning ecw support in QGIS1.7 (windows)?
on my machine, qgis is crashing, when i try to load an ecw.

did someone try to get the old 4.1 sdk from erdas? with the standard
clicking and registring ordeal on their site i only got the 4.2 version.

bernhard

Nick Hopton | 8 Nov 12:10 2011
Picon

Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

I've just posted something on the forum that might help:

http://forum.qgis.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9608&sid=98905b6b873b8530a21c9bbea67d55fe

Regards, Nick.

Giovanni Manghi | 8 Nov 13:53 2011
Picon

Re: Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Hi,

> did someone try to get the old 4.1 sdk from erdas? with the standard
> clicking and registring ordeal on their site i only got the 4.2 version.

yes, you need the 4.1 SDK. The bug with the 4.2 has been already
reported on the GDAL trac.

Cheers

-- Gio0vanni --
Jean-Claude Repetto | 8 Nov 13:31 2011

Le 05/07/2011 16:41, Giovanni Manghi a écrit :
> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 11:08 +0200, Daniel.Gnerre@... wrote:
>> I think the problem is the version of ECW SDK. We need 4.1 and now I
>> only can get the 4.2 version by ERDAS. Has anyone a link to download
>> ERDAS ECW SDK 4.1 ??
>
> You definitely need the 4.1 version of the SDK.

The version 3.3 of the SDK is better. The 4.1 is a read-only version,
you won't be able to create ECW files in the Raster menu of QGIS.

Jean-Claude
Daniel.Gnerre | 5 Jul 13:58 2011
Picon

Re: Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Thanks Micha. I tried your dll's, but it doesn't work... :O( the layer appears in the layertree, but nothing is displayed on the map (see image attached)

Sorry to spam the list with this problem, but I really need to work with ECW files in QGIS...

Daniel

Micha Silver | 5 Jul 14:35 2011

On 05/07/2011 14:58, Daniel.Gnerre-wRF+1GeI6tg@public.gmane.org wrote:

Thanks Micha. I tried your dll's, but it doesn't work... :O( the layer appears in the layertree, but nothing is displayed on the map (see image attached)

Maybe coordinate systems don't match? Go into the Raster menu, and try "Information" on that ecw file. What does it show?

Sorry to spam the list with this problem, but I really need to work with ECW files in QGIS...

Daniel

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

--

Micha Silver

Arava Development Co

052-3665918

http://www.surfaces.co.il

Duarte Carreira | 5 Jul 15:38 2011
Picon

RE: Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Have you tried to use the osgeo4w command line to see what gdalinfo tells you about an ecw image?

Duarte

Enviada: terça-feira, 5 de Julho de 2011 12:58
Para: qgis-user-qjLDD68F18NyQMAyxoHuMA@public.gmane.org
Assunto: Re: [Qgis-user] Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Thanks Micha. I tried your dll's, but it doesn't work... :O( the layer appears in the layertree, but nothing is displayed on the map (see image attached)

Sorry to spam the list with this problem, but I really need to work with ECW files in QGIS...

Daniel

Daniel.Gnerre | 6 Jul 07:57 2011
Picon

RE: Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Hi Duarte,

All is OK with the ECW, they work well with QGIS 1.6 and all other GIS.

Daniel
Daniel.Gnerre | 5 Jul 14:48 2011
Picon

Re: Re: QGIS 1.7 on Windows and ECW

Micha,

All is right with projection. I think I will work with JPEG instead of ECW...

Daniel