Maurizio Colucci | 1 Jul 22:10 2004
Picon

Can gnome be programmed in some functional language?

Hello,

I was wondering if gnome (specifically, gnome applets) can be programmed in
some functional language (ocaml, haskell,...).

Thanks for any info

Maurizio
Gérard Milmeister | 1 Jul 13:30 2004
Picon

Re: Can gnome be programmed in some functional language?

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 22:10, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if gnome (specifically, gnome applets) can be programmed in
> some functional language (ocaml, haskell,...).
>
> Thanks for any info
>
> Maurizio
For both Ocaml and Haskell, there exist GTK bindings (with probably some
gnome support). Ocaml has lablgtk
(http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html) and Haskell
has gtk2hs (http://gtk2hs.sourceforge.net/). I don't know if they
support gnome applets though.

Gérard Milmeister
Tannenrauchstrasse 35
8038 Zürich
gemi <at> bluewin.ch
Curtis Hovey | 2 Jul 00:00 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 13:10 -0700, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if gnome (specifically, gnome applets) can be programmed in
> some functional language (ocaml, haskell,...).

See http://developer.gnome.org/arch/lang/ for a summary.

Objective-Caml (LablGTK)
http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html
has GNOME bindings, and specifically Panel bindings.

sinzui <at> cox.net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.
Maurizio Colucci | 13 Jul 07:28 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 13:10, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if gnome (specifically, gnome applets) can be programmed in
> some functional language (ocaml, haskell,...).

Answering to myself: Mono + Nermerle is probably the most complete solution
(you can use all the gnome libraries, gecko, gtkhtml, ...). The language is
not the best, but you can't have everything.

Mau

Gmane