Klaus | 3 Oct 13:15 2002
Picon

gnome / enlightenment

Hello,

I use mandrake 9 and gnome 2.
In the control panel, there is no more possibility to choose graphical
environnement, for example enlightenment.
When I start dircetly enlightenment, the command "panel" does'nt exist any
more.
I already asked on mandrake-list, but I got no reply

thanks for help
Klaus

http://katalogdeutsch.free.fr:
apprendre l'allemand ou s'informer
sur les pays de langue allemande
Ben FrantzDale | 4 Oct 00:24 2002

Re: gnome / enlightenment

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 04:15, Klaus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use mandrake 9 and gnome 2.
> In the control panel, there is no more possibility to choose graphical
> environnement, for example enlightenment.

The gnome2 control center doesn't have a window manager selector at the
moment. I'm not sure what the plan is for that.

Without one the way to switch window managers -- for example from
sawfish to enlightenment -- is

  killall sawfish; enlightenment&

from a terminal.

> When I start dircetly enlightenment, the command "panel" does'nt exist any
> more.

The Gnome Panel is now named "gnome-panel".

--Ben
Klaus | 4 Oct 21:57 2002
Picon

Re: gnome / enlightenment

Le Vendredi 4 Octobre 2002 00:24, Ben FrantzDale a écrit :
> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 04:15, Klaus wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use mandrake 9 and gnome 2.
> > In the control panel, there is no more possibility to choose graphical
> > environnement, for example enlightenment.
>
> The gnome2 control center doesn't have a window manager selector at the
> moment. I'm not sure what the plan is for that.
>
> Without one the way to switch window managers -- for example from
> sawfish to enlightenment -- is
>
>   killall sawfish; enlightenment&
>
> from a terminal.

 killall sawfish doesn't work; it tells me: "sawfish: no process killed". So
enlightenment won't start

Klaus
Travis Saling | 4 Oct 22:14 2002

Re: gnome / enlightenment

> killall sawfish doesn't work; it tells me: "sawfish: no process killed". So
>enlightenment won't start

s/sawfish/metacity/ then - 'killall metacity && enlightenment &'

Note that E isn't compliant with Gnome2, so there will be glitches - for
example, the "window list" applet doesn't work.  Also, I ended up having
to rebuild E from the source RPM to get it to work correctly because of
(what I think was) some sort of imlib issue.

Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering
trav <at> u.washington.edu / webmaster <at> ee.washington.edu
(206) 543-8984
Klaus | 4 Oct 22:41 2002
Picon

Re: gnome / enlightenment

Le Vendredi 4 Octobre 2002 22:14, Travis Saling a écrit :
> > killall sawfish doesn't work; it tells me: "sawfish: no process killed".
> > So enlightenment won't start
>
> s/sawfish/metacity/ then - 'killall metacity && enlightenment &'

s/sawfish/metacity/ is not recognized, but killall metacity && enlightenment &
works.

> Note that E isn't compliant with Gnome2,

will it be compliant ? I am quite deceived, I liked very much gnome under
enlightenment !

> so there will be glitches - for
> example, the "window list" applet doesn't work.

right  ):

Also, I ended up having
> to rebuild E from the source RPM to get it to work correctly because of
> (what I think was) some sort of imlib issue.

does "window list" applet work then ?

Klaus

http://katalogdeutsch.free.fr:
apprendre l'allemand ou s'informer
(Continue reading)

Travis Saling | 4 Oct 23:03 2002

Re: gnome / enlightenment

>s/sawfish/metacity/ is not recognized, but killall metacity && enlightenment &
>works.

Sorry - I was being goofy.  I'd have been really surprised if you'd said
it worked!

>>Note that E isn't compliant with Gnome2,
>>

>will it be compliant ? I am quite deceived, I liked very much gnome under
>enlightenment !

I doubt it, since the Enlightenment project is going its own direction
completely for the future.  But I haven't run into any problems with
actual Gnome2 applications (no reason to expect any I'd guess), and
since E already is able to use AA fonts things look good visually
overall.  Really the "window list problem" is the only issue I know of.

>>to rebuild E from the source RPM to get it to work correctly because of
>>(what I think was) some sort of imlib issue.
>>

>does "window list" applet work then ?

(Continue reading)

Travis Saling | 10 Apr 20:48 2003

Gnome2 and Enlightenment

Hi all,

For those of you who (like me) are fans of Enlightenment:  In
Enlightenment CVS is a pre-release version of E 0.16.6 which uses the
FreeDesktop (Gnome2) window hints!  I'm running E 0.16.6pre2 and it
seems quite stable.

There are tarballs and RPMs available from Enlightenment on Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/enlightenment/

Sweet!  Thank you Kim Woelders, wherever you are!

Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering
trav <at> u.washington.edu / webmaster <at> ee.washington.edu
(206) 543-8984
Stephen Kuhn | 10 Apr 22:02 2003

Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 04:48, Travis Saling wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For those of you who (like me) are fans of Enlightenment:  In
> Enlightenment CVS is a pre-release version of E 0.16.6 which uses the
> FreeDesktop (Gnome2) window hints!  I'm running E 0.16.6pre2 and it
> seems quite stable.
>
> There are tarballs and RPMs available from Enlightenment on Sourceforge:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/enlightenment/
>
> Sweet!  Thank you Kim Woelders, wherever you are!

Rather hope they start moving ahead a bit quicker this year (gosh, it
sucks when you wait years for something...), but at least the last
release was solid enough to keep living on and on...(Keeping fingers
crossed for DR17!)

Fri Apr 11 05:59:59 EST 2003
 05:59:59 up 20 days, 17:47,  3 users,  load average: 1.85, 0.75, 0.36
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: skuhn <at> telpacific.com.au |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: stephen.kuhn <at> gmx.net    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |                                 |
(Continue reading)

Travis Saling | 10 Apr 22:17 2003

Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

>Rather hope they start moving ahead a bit quicker this year (gosh, it
>sucks when you wait years for something...), but at least the last
>release was solid enough to keep living on and on...(Keeping fingers
>crossed for DR17!)

I think this is separate from the E 17 work.  This appears to be an
update on the existing E 16 code base - which is probably why it's
actually getting done.  :-)

Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering
trav <at> u.washington.edu / webmaster <at> ee.washington.edu
(206) 543-8984
Jason A. Pfeil | 10 Apr 22:19 2003

Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

The only major problem is that E17 won't be usable with Gnome *or* KDE
b/c it will be its own desktop environment/shell.  If they split out the
ewm separately then that would be nice.  Otherwise they'll be on their
own.

This is one thing that I will miss.  I really liked E from all the
versions I used from 0.13+ (I think 0.13 was the first I used).

This is of course predicated on the fact that I haven't misunderstood
something...which is always possible.

Cheers!

--Jason

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 16:02, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 04:48, Travis Saling wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For those of you who (like me) are fans of Enlightenment:  In
> > Enlightenment CVS is a pre-release version of E 0.16.6 which uses the
> > FreeDesktop (Gnome2) window hints!  I'm running E 0.16.6pre2 and it
> > seems quite stable.
> >
> > There are tarballs and RPMs available from Enlightenment on Sourceforge:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/enlightenment/
> >
> > Sweet!  Thank you Kim Woelders, wherever you are!
>
> Rather hope they start moving ahead a bit quicker this year (gosh, it
(Continue reading)

Stephen Kuhn | 10 Apr 22:24 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 06:19, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
> The only major problem is that E17 won't be usable with Gnome *or* KDE
> b/c it will be its own desktop environment/shell.  If they split out the
> ewm separately then that would be nice.  Otherwise they'll be on their
> own.
>
> This is one thing that I will miss.  I really liked E from all the
> versions I used from 0.13+ (I think 0.13 was the first I used).
>
> This is of course predicated on the fact that I haven't misunderstood
> something...which is always possible.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --Jason

I perceive that E17's goal is to NOT be usable with KDE or Gnome...that
it's ultimate goal is to BE a complete desktop alternative...

Fri Apr 11 06:20:00 EST 2003
 06:20:00 up 20 days, 18:07,  3 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.21, 0.34
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: skuhn <at> telpacific.com.au |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: stephen.kuhn <at> gmx.net    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
(Continue reading)

Haines Brown | 11 Apr 16:10 2003

Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

> I perceive that E17's goal is to NOT be usable with KDE or Gnome...that
> it's ultimate goal is to BE a complete desktop alternative...

So I gather. Does this imply E17 will not tolerate gnome applications
such as gnome-panel, with its gnome window list and destkop switcher?
I gather I'm not the only one rather attached to an organization of
menus, launchers, applets, etc. along a border of the desktop rather
than rely on icons scattered about the desktop in the fashion of
Windows.

Haines Brown
Stephen Kuhn | 11 Apr 22:02 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 00:10, Haines Brown wrote:
> > I perceive that E17's goal is to NOT be usable with KDE or Gnome...that
> > it's ultimate goal is to BE a complete desktop alternative...
>
> So I gather. Does this imply E17 will not tolerate gnome applications
> such as gnome-panel, with its gnome window list and destkop switcher?
> I gather I'm not the only one rather attached to an organization of
> menus, launchers, applets, etc. along a border of the desktop rather
> than rely on icons scattered about the desktop in the fashion of
> Windows.
>
> Haines Brown

Enlightenment is forgiving enough - even at the stage it's at now - to
be able to either allow the gnome-panel to run (or ROX for that matter)
and have something else take over the desktop functionality - the goal
is to make it do whatever you want it to do - as it does now - but
ultimately, the aim of E is to be a complete package - so whether or not
you want to make use of all the bits and bobs from that package are
completely up to the end user - and allowance is made so that you can do
as you so desire with it...

Just a few months back, I ran across a "special distro" of linux - can't
quite remember the name of it - something like "Evil Darkness" or some
such silliness - but the entire distro was based on using E17 as the
complete desktop/GUI - didn't have time to grab it or play with it, but
did read through all the stuff on the site - and was quite interesting
in that it was complete managed by E - completely - and looked quite
nice - and one of the users of this package had setup their system with
the gnome-panel to give it even more functionality - and appeared to be
(Continue reading)

brendan | 11 Apr 22:20 2003

Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

> Just a few months back, I ran across a "special distro" of linux -
> can't quite remember the name of it - something like "Evil Darkness"
> or some such silliness - but the entire distro was based on using
> E17 as the complete desktop/GUI

Any way you could remember exactly what the name of this was? It sounds
like fun and I'd like to play with it.
Stephen Kuhn | 11 Apr 22:33 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 06:20, brendan <at> cs.uchicago.edu wrote:
> > Just a few months back, I ran across a "special distro" of linux -
> > can't quite remember the name of it - something like "Evil Darkness"
> > or some such silliness - but the entire distro was based on using
> > E17 as the complete desktop/GUI
>
> Any way you could remember exactly what the name of this was? It sounds
> like fun and I'd like to play with it.

A Google here, a Google there and I found:

http://undeadlinux.com/

If I had broadband, I'd snag it - but unfortunately, 56k doesn't cut the
mustard...

Sat Apr 12 06:30:00 EST 2003
 06:30:00 up 21 days, 18:10,  3 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.14, 0.10
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: skuhn <at> telpacific.com.au |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: stephen.kuhn <at> gmx.net    |
(Continue reading)

Haines Brown | 11 Apr 15:43 2003

Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

Travis,

What are "FreeDesktop (Gnome2) window hints"? For me the issue is to
get the WindowList and DesktopSwitcher applets to work on the gnome
panel under Enlightenment.

Haines Brown
Travis Saling | 11 Apr 17:32 2003

Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

>What are "FreeDesktop (Gnome2) window hints"? For me the issue is to
>get the WindowList and DesktopSwitcher applets to work on the gnome
>panel under Enlightenment.

Those hints are what will make that work for you.  Personally I prefer
E's pager to Gnome's desktop switcher, but the Gnome panel's window list
is preferable to E's iconbar.  The one "problem" I've found is with
Gnome2's decision not to support viewports.  There are a few issues due
to that; for example, if you've got two viewports on one workspace the
window list will show application windows from both viewports (no matter
which one you are currently at).  Because of this I've found it simpler
to set the window list to display windows from all workspaces.

Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering
trav <at> u.washington.edu / webmaster <at> ee.washington.edu
(206) 543-8984
Havoc Pennington | 12 Apr 22:05 2003
Picon

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 08:32:50AM -0700, Travis Saling wrote:

> Those hints are what will make that work for you.  Personally I prefer
> E's pager to Gnome's desktop switcher, but the Gnome panel's window list
> is preferable to E's iconbar.  The one "problem" I've found is with
> Gnome2's decision not to support viewports.  There are a few issues due
> to that; for example, if you've got two viewports on one workspace the
> window list will show application windows from both viewports (no matter
> which one you are currently at).  Because of this I've found it simpler
> to set the window list to display windows from all workspaces.

Kim Woelders contributed viewport support for the workspace switcher
and task list, so viewports are supported if you get libwnck from CVS
and your WM supports them.

Havoc
Travis Saling | 12 Apr 22:09 2003

Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

>Kim Woelders contributed viewport support for the workspace switcher
>and task list, so viewports are supported if you get libwnck from CVS
>and your WM supports them.

Thank you for letting us know Havoc!

Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering
trav <at> u.washington.edu / webmaster <at> ee.washington.edu
(206) 543-8984
Ben FrantzDale | 4 Oct 23:29 2002

Re: gnome / enlightenment

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 12:57, Klaus wrote:
> Le Vendredi 4 Octobre 2002 00:24, Ben FrantzDale a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 04:15, Klaus wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I use mandrake 9 and gnome 2.
> > > In the control panel, there is no more possibility to choose graphical
> > > environnement, for example enlightenment.
> >
> > The gnome2 control center doesn't have a window manager selector at the
> > moment. I'm not sure what the plan is for that.
> >
> > Without one the way to switch window managers -- for example from
> > sawfish to enlightenment -- is
> >
> >   killall sawfish; enlightenment&
> >
> > from a terminal.
>
>  killall sawfish doesn't work; it tells me: "sawfish: no process killed". So
> enlightenment won't start

Then your current window manager isn't sawfish. Do you know what window
manager you are running? Whatever it is, kill it and run enlightenment
and that change should be remembered.

--Ben

Gmane