Toralf Lund | 3 Dec 19:29 2004

File types menu entry gone

After upgrading to GNOME 2.8 (on Fedora core 3) I'm also unable to find 
the file types (MIME) config entry in the Preferences dialogue. Help anyone?

- T
Sean Middleditch | 3 Dec 19:36 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone

Please see the GNOME 2.8 release nodes.  They document the changes in
this release.

http://gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:29 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> After upgrading to GNOME 2.8 (on Fedora core 3) I'm also unable to find 
> the file types (MIME) config entry in the Preferences dialogue. Help anyone?
> 
> - T
> 
> _______________________________________________
> gnome-list mailing list
> gnome-list <at> gnome.org
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list
> 
--

-- 
Sean Middleditch <elanthis <at> awesomeplay.com>
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.
Toralf Lund | 3 Dec 19:56 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone

Sean Middleditch wrote:

>Please see the GNOME 2.8 release nodes.  They document the changes in
>this release.
>
>http://gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/
>  
>
I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever 
happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was 
actually looking for right now...

>On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:29 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>  
>
>>After upgrading to GNOME 2.8 (on Fedora core 3) I'm also unable to find 
>>the file types (MIME) config entry in the Preferences dialogue. Help anyone?
>>
>>- T
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>gnome-list mailing list
>>gnome-list <at> gnome.org
>>http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list
>>
>>    
>>
Sean Middleditch | 3 Dec 20:18 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone


On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever 
> happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was 
> actually looking for right now...

It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.

In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
you have to edit .desktop files.  You can reassign the handler for an
existing MIME type, however.  In a rather backwards and user-model-
breaking fashion, unfortunately.
--

-- 
Sean Middleditch <elanthis <at> awesomeplay.com>
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.
Toralf Lund | 3 Dec 22:43 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone

Sean Middleditch wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>  
>
>>I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever 
>>happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was 
>>actually looking for right now...
>>    
>>
>
>It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.
>  
>
I noticied that MIME types were mentioned there, what I was trying to 
say was that I didn't find anything there about adding types, or the 
"internet services", which I'm having problems with right now (or 
perhaps there is another problem. "Help" buttons in the GUI won't work, 
in any case...)

>In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
>you have to edit .desktop files.
>
Too bad... Well, personally I don't mind editing files by hand, but this 
still seems like a step in the wrong direction.

>  You can reassign the handler for an
>existing MIME type, however.  In a rather backwards and user-model-
>breaking fashion, unfortunately.
>  
(Continue reading)

Sean Middleditch | 3 Dec 22:49 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:43 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:

> >  You can reassign the handler for an
> >existing MIME type, however.  In a rather backwards and user-model-
> >breaking fashion, unfortunately.
> >  
> >
> Yeah, I think I agree. Well, I guess beeing able to change handlers via 
> the properties box sort of makes sence if you start off with a file, but 
> what if you don't? What if you want to set up a handler for files you 
> are going to download from the net (before you download them)? Or just 
> like to do things in advance?

I suppose if someone with the time and know-how wrote a nice utility
with a sane and grokable UI for managing MIME types and handlers,
there's a chance it might be included as a sysadmin-style tool.  Bonus
points if it can run as a user and as a sysadmin users for modifying
per-user or system-wide settings.

The old system died due both to the MIME rewrite and the fact that, for
the simple stuff, the old MIME manager was, well, evil.
--

-- 
Sean Middleditch <elanthis <at> awesomeplay.com>
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.
Toralf Lund | 3 Dec 22:49 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone

Sean Middleditch wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>  
>
>>I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever 
>>happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was 
>>actually looking for right now...
>>    
>>
>
>It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.
>
>In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
>you have to edit .desktop files.
>
Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's 
exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a 
really bad idea. - Because menus, which .desktop files are otherwise 
used for, and MIME handlers represent completely different 
functionality, so their setup shouldn't be mixed.

>  You can reassign the handler for an
>existing MIME type, however.  In a rather backwards and user-model-
>breaking fashion, unfortunately.
>  
>
Sean Middleditch | 4 Dec 00:31 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:49 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:

> >In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
> >you have to edit .desktop files.
> >
> Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's 
> exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a 
> really bad idea. - Because menus, which .desktop files are otherwise 
> used for, and MIME handlers represent completely different 
> functionality, so their setup shouldn't be mixed.

I might have that wrong, actually.  Probably a good idea to check out
the spec on FreeDesktop.org.  The new system is (or will be) used by
GNOME, ROX, KDE, and so on.
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez | 5 Dec 08:04 2004
Picon

Re: File types menu entry gone

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:49 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> 
> >On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> >  
> >
> >>I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever 
> >>happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was 
> >>actually looking for right now...
> >>    
> >>
> >
> >It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.
> >
> >In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
> >you have to edit .desktop files.
> >
> Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's 
> exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a 
> really bad idea. - Because menus, which .desktop files are otherwise 
> used for, and MIME handlers represent completely different 
> functionality, so their setup shouldn't be mixed.

The .desktop file is (has evolved into) a description of the interface
the app has (visible name, category, what mime type it handles, etc)
That is not evil, IMHO.

-- m

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

Toralf Lund | 6 Dec 09:43 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone

Mariano Suárez-Alvarez wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:49 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>  
>
>>Sean Middleditch wrote:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>> 
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>>>I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever 
>>>>happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was 
>>>>actually looking for right now...
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.
>>>
>>>In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
>>>you have to edit .desktop files.
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's 
>>exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a 
(Continue reading)


Gmane