Toralf Lund | 3 Dec 22:49 2004

Re: File types menu entry gone

Sean Middleditch wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever
>>happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was
>>actually looking for right now...
>>

>It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.
>
>In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
>you have to edit .desktop files.

Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's
exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a
really bad idea. - Because menus, which .desktop files are otherwise
used for, and MIME handlers represent completely different
functionality, so their setup shouldn't be mixed.

>  You can reassign the handler for an
>existing MIME type, however.  In a rather backwards and user-model-
>breaking fashion, unfortunately.

Sean Middleditch | 4 Dec 00:31 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:49 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:

> >In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
> >you have to edit .desktop files.
> >
> Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's
> exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a
> really bad idea. - Because menus, which .desktop files are otherwise
> used for, and MIME handlers represent completely different
> functionality, so their setup shouldn't be mixed.

I might have that wrong, actually.  Probably a good idea to check out
the spec on FreeDesktop.org.  The new system is (or will be) used by
GNOME, ROX, KDE, and so on.
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez | 5 Dec 08:04 2004
Picon

Re: File types menu entry gone

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:49 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> >

> >>I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever
> >>happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was
> >>actually looking for right now...
> >>

> >It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.
> >
> >In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
> >you have to edit .desktop files.
> >
> Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's
> exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a
> really bad idea. - Because menus, which .desktop files are otherwise
> used for, and MIME handlers represent completely different
> functionality, so their setup shouldn't be mixed.

The .desktop file is (has evolved into) a description of the interface
the app has (visible name, category, what mime type it handles, etc)
That is not evil, IMHO.

-- m

Toralf Lund | 6 Dec 09:43 2004