Jérôme Prudent | 4 May 04:56 2011
Picon

[GNOME3] Gain vertical space

Hi everyone!

With gnome2 I used to have only a single bar on left side of my screen. Since I spend my time browsing website, this offered me a maximum of vertical space.

Yesterday I switched on Gnome3 and tried to drag the top bar on left side but apparently it's fixed. To tell you the truth, I quite like this top bar (it's thin enough, useful, and elegant). What I do not like is the windows title. For a vertical space maniac, windows title are too wide and the close button (that I never use because I prefer Alt+F4) is too big. I also think that window title have no use now (I gnome 2 I sometimes used the minimize button but there is no such a button any more). So, How can I remove this useless window title that occupies my precious vertical space?

Thanks.

--
Jérôme Prudent

Frederic Muller | 4 May 05:53 2011
Picon

Re: [GNOME3] Gain vertical space

Hi!

It's all css and easily changeable. There is a blog post here that goes
through some of the customization (which works without installing any
extension):
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html

namely this part:

"As stated previously, the default GNOME Shell theme is Adwaita. You can
modify this theme by editing
/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml. One of the
more interesting sections of this configuration file is:

<frame_geometry name="normal" title_scale="medium" rounded_top_left="4"
rounded_top_right="4">
         <distance name="left_width" value="1" />
         <distance name="right_width" value="1" />
         <distance name="bottom_height" value="2" />
         <distance name="left_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
         <distance name="right_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
         <distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="13"/>
         <border name="title_border" left="10" right="10" top="1"
bottom="1"/>
         <border name="button_border" left="0" right="0" top="1"
bottom="3"/>
         <aspect_ratio name="button" value="1"/>
</frame_geometry>
"

You'll need to find the another section for the maximized
"title_vertical_pad" (maybe it's lower in the article, maybe not).

Hope that helps.

Fred

On 05/04/2011 10:56 AM, Jérôme Prudent wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> With gnome2 I used to have only a single bar on left side of my screen.
> Since I spend my time browsing website, this offered me a maximum of
> vertical space.
>
> Yesterday I switched on Gnome3 and tried to drag the top bar on left
> side but apparently it's fixed. To tell you the truth, I quite like this
> top bar (it's thin enough, useful, and elegant). What I do not like is
> the windows title. For a vertical space maniac, windows title are too
> wide and the close button (that I never use because I prefer Alt+F4) is
> too big. I also think that window title have no use now (I gnome 2 I
> sometimes used the minimize button but there is no such a button any
> more). So, How can I remove this useless window title that occupies my
> precious vertical space?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jérôme Prudent

Jérôme Prudent | 4 May 06:06 2011
Picon

Re: [GNOME3] Gain vertical space

Thanks it helps a lot!

I put 0 for title_vertical_pad and there is no waste of space on this bar:
- the height had been adapted to the font size or the button size (i don't know)
- the button is smaller (same height as the bar)

If I could find where I can change font-size that would be last step. (I tried /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/gtk.css but nothing seems to be suitable for my need)

Thanks.

[...]

Magnus Therning | 4 May 06:55 2011

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:53:07AM +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It's all css and easily changeable. There is a blog post here that
> goes through some of the customization (which works without
> installing any extension):
> http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html
>
> namely this part:
>
> "As stated previously, the default GNOME Shell theme is Adwaita. You
> can modify this theme by editing
> /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml. One of
> the more interesting sections of this configuration file is:

You are suggesting to modify a system file, is there any way to do
this per-user instead?

/M

email: magnus <at> therning.org   jabber: magnus <at> therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay
Frederic Muller | 4 May 07:25 2011

On 05/04/2011 12:55 PM, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:53:07AM +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> It's all css and easily changeable. There is a blog post here that
>> goes through some of the customization (which works without
>> installing any extension):
>> http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html
>>
>> namely this part:
>>
>> "As stated previously, the default GNOME Shell theme is Adwaita. You
>> can modify this theme by editing
>> /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml. One of
>> the more interesting sections of this configuration file is:
>
> You are suggesting to modify a system file, is there any way to do
> this per-user instead?
>
> /M

I am not suggesting to modify a system file, I'm quoting a small section
out of a long blog post (and therefore out of context).

I am just pointing out where the info is available, sorry for not spoon
feeding, but it's not my thing.

The proper way to do that would be to create a new theme based on the
default one and use that new theme to make the changes. I think (though
I do not know) that themes are per user.

Fred
Magnus Therning | 4 May 10:50 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 06:25, Frederic Muller <fredm <at> gnome.org> wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 12:55 PM, Magnus Therning wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:53:07AM +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> It's all css and easily changeable. There is a blog post here that
>>> goes through some of the customization (which works without
>>> installing any extension):
>>> http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html
>>>
>>> namely this part:
>>>
>>> "As stated previously, the default GNOME Shell theme is Adwaita. You
>>> can modify this theme by editing
>>> /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml. One of
>>> the more interesting sections of this configuration file is:
>>
>> You are suggesting to modify a system file, is there any way to do
>> this per-user instead?
>>
>> /M
>

> I am not suggesting to modify a system file, I'm quoting a small section out
> of a long blog post (and therefore out of context).
>
> I am just pointing out where the info is available, sorry for not spoon
> feeding, but it's not my thing.

I'm far from asking you to spoon feed me.  I know nothing about
Gnome3, I've only recently started using it, and so far I've found the
documentation sorely lacking in areas related to configuration and
personalisation.  Since you know more than I do, and you provided the
link to the blog post I thought it reasonable to also ask you if
there's a resource available that explains how to do this sort of
personalisation on a per-user basis.

> The proper way to do that would be to create a new theme based on the
> default one and use that new theme to make the changes. I think (though I do
> not know) that themes are per user.

Thank you, that paragraph nicely sums up what I asked for.  Seriously,
I could have done without your attitude in the two previous
paragraphs.

/M

Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus <at> therning.org   jabber: magnus <at> therning.org
Olav Vitters | 4 May 10:37 2011

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 09:56:06AM +0700, Jérôme Prudent wrote:
> Yesterday I switched on Gnome3 and tried to drag the top bar on left side
> but apparently it's fixed. To tell you the truth, I quite like this top bar
> (it's thin enough, useful, and elegant). What I do not like is the windows
> title. For a vertical space maniac, windows title are too wide and the close
> button (that I never use because I prefer Alt+F4) is too big. I also think
> that window title have no use now (I gnome 2 I sometimes used the minimize
> button but there is no such a button any more). So, How can I remove this
> useless window title that occupies my precious vertical space?

From what I've read this will eventually be fixed. Some vertical space
usage is a bug (forgot if it was the title bar or other parts). Further,
there is work going on to remove menu bars and so on.

So it is not perfect at the moment, but eventually it will be :P

Olav

Gmane