Elan Hasson | 29 Sep 18:03 2011

[mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

Hello List,

Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I am unable to debug by placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying to my physical devices.

I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.

Prior to using physical devices, I was able to step through (albeit slowly) code using the emulator.

I have the same results when deploying in debug configuration to both Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.

Your help is appreciated,

Elan
Jonathan Pobst | 29 Sep 18:11 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

What happens when you try?

- Is there an error?
- Does VS go into debug mode?
- Does it run fine but doesn't stop at breakpoints?

Jonathan

On 9/29/2011 11:03 AM, Elan Hasson wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I am unable to debug by
> placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying to my physical devices.
>
> I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.
>
> Prior to using physical devices, I was able to step through (albeit
> slowly) code using the emulator.
>
> I have the same results when deploying in debug configuration to both
> Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.
>

> Your help is appreciated,
>

> Elan

Elan Hasson | 29 Sep 18:14 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

It runs fine without stopping at breakpoints.

- Does it run fine but doesn't stop at breakpoints?

Jonathan

Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I am unable to debug by
placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying to my physical devices.

I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.

Prior to using physical devices, I was able to step through (albeit
slowly) code using the emulator.

I have the same results when deploying in debug configuration to both
Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.

Your help is appreciated,

Elan

Jonathan Pobst | 29 Sep 18:22 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

2 things to check:

- View the Android Debug Log and it should have some messages about
initializing the debugger:

http://android.xamarin.com/Documentation/Guides/Android_Debug_Log

- Rename your .apk to .zip, look in the assemblies directory inside it,
and see if the debug symbols are there (.mdb files).

Jonathan

On 9/29/2011 11:14 AM, Elan Hasson wrote:
> It runs fine without stopping at breakpoints.
>
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Jonathan Pobst <monkey@...
> <mailto:monkey@...>> wrote:
>
>     What happens when you try?
>
>     - Is there an error?
>     - Does VS go into debug mode?
>     - Does it run fine but doesn't stop at breakpoints?
>
>     Jonathan
>

>     On 9/29/2011 11:03 AM, Elan Hasson wrote:
>
>         Hello List,
>
>         Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I am unable to
>         debug by
>         placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying to my physical
>         devices.
>
>         I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.
>
>         Prior to using physical devices, I was able to step through (albeit
>         slowly) code using the emulator.
>
>         I have the same results when deploying in debug configuration to
>         both
>         Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.
>

>         Your help is appreciated,
>

>         Elan

SRI | 29 Sep 18:27 2011
Picon

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

Hi,

         I have also experienced this using version 1.9. The debug
files are not in the APK.
         During Compilation, the debug files are not included.

Best Regards,
Sridharan Srinivasan
Alias Sri.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Jonathan Pobst <monkey@...> wrote:
> 2 things to check:
>
> - View the Android Debug Log and it should have some messages about
> initializing the debugger:
>
> http://android.xamarin.com/Documentation/Guides/Android_Debug_Log
>
> - Rename your .apk to .zip, look in the assemblies directory inside it,
> and see if the debug symbols are there (.mdb files).
>
> Jonathan
>

> On 9/29/2011 11:14 AM, Elan Hasson wrote:
>> It runs fine without stopping at breakpoints.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Jonathan Pobst <monkey@...
>> <mailto:monkey@...>> wrote:
>>
>>     What happens when you try?
>>
>>     - Is there an error?
>>     - Does VS go into debug mode?
>>     - Does it run fine but doesn't stop at breakpoints?
>>
>>     Jonathan
>>

>>     On 9/29/2011 11:03 AM, Elan Hasson wrote:
>>
>>         Hello List,
>>
>>         Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I am unable to
>>         debug by
>>         placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying to my physical
>>         devices.
>>
>>         I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.
>>
>>         Prior to using physical devices, I was able to step through (albeit
>>         slowly) code using the emulator.
>>
>>         I have the same results when deploying in debug configuration to
>>         both
>>         Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.
>>

>>         Your help is appreciated,
>>

>>         Elan

Sridharan Srinivasan
Alias Sri
Ph:(65)98255785/(65)63922439
www.arshu.com

Elan Hasson | 29 Sep 19:34 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

The debug log crashes visual studio when i attempt to scroll a lot also.

[...]

Elan Hasson | 29 Sep 19:54 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

No Debug files are being included in the APK.

The android debug log is pretty annoying as it lags my machine (probably time to upgrade :)) and crashes visual studio often.

[...]

Jonathan Pobst | 29 Sep 20:24 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

Weird, it works here.

Is this just a single project that isn't including the .mdb or is it
libraries that the mfa project references whose .mdb's aren't being
included?

Are you sure you are using the Debug configuration?

Jonathan

<mailto:monkey@...>>> wrote:

>             What happens when you try?
>
>             - Is there an error?
>             - Does VS go into debug mode?
>             - Does it run fine but doesn't stop at breakpoints?
>
>             Jonathan
>

>             On 9/29/2011 11:03 AM, Elan Hasson wrote:
>
>                 Hello List,
>
>                 Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I am
>         unable to
>                 debug by
>                 placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying to my
>         physical
>                 devices.
>
>                 I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.
>
>                 Prior to using physical devices, I was able to step
>         through (albeit
>                 slowly) code using the emulator.
>
>                 I have the same results when deploying in debug
>         configuration to
>                 both
>                 Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.
>

>                 Your help is appreciated,
>

>                 Elan

Elan Hasson | 29 Sep 20:27 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

no .MDBs are being included. and yes i am in debug configuration.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Jonathan Pobst <monkey-548TsjyrfgTQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org

       <monkey-548TsjyrfgTQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org <mailto:monkey-548TsjyrfgTQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
       <mailto:monkey-548TsjyrfgTQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org <mailto:monkey-548TsjyrfgTQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>>> wrote:

           What happens when you try?

           - Is there an error?
           - Does VS go into debug mode?
           - Does it run fine but doesn't stop at breakpoints?

           Jonathan

               Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I am
       unable to
               debug by
               placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying to my
       physical
               devices.

               I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.

               Prior to using physical devices, I was able to step
       through (albeit
               slowly) code using the emulator.

               I have the same results when deploying in debug
       configuration to
               both
               Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.

               Your help is appreciated,

               Elan

Jonathan Pobst | 29 Sep 20:40 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

This doesn't explain why you would be able to debug on the emulator.
Can you try it again and see if the .mdb's are being included there?

Jonathan

<mailto:monkey@...>>>> wrote:

>                     What happens when you try?
>
>                     - Is there an error?
>                     - Does VS go into debug mode?
>                     - Does it run fine but doesn't stop at breakpoints?
>
>                     Jonathan
>

>                     On 9/29/2011 11:03 AM, Elan Hasson wrote:
>
>                         Hello List,
>
>                         Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I am
>                 unable to
>                         debug by
>                         placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying
>         to my
>                 physical
>                         devices.
>
>                         I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.
>
>                         Prior to using physical devices, I was able to step
>                 through (albeit
>                         slowly) code using the emulator.
>
>                         I have the same results when deploying in debug
>                 configuration to
>                         both
>                         Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.
>

>                         Your help is appreciated,
>

>                         Elan

>         <mailto:Monodroid <at> lists.__ximian.com
>         <mailto:Monodroid@...>>
>         <mailto:Monodroid <at> lists. <mailto:Monodroid <at> lists.>__ximi__an.com
>         <http://ximian.com>
>         <mailto:Monodroid <at> lists.__ximian.com
>         <mailto:Monodroid@...>>>
>
>                         UNSUBSCRIBE INFORMATION:

Elan Hasson | 29 Sep 21:14 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

I seem to have lost the ability to also debug in the emulator.

[...]

SRI | 30 Sep 06:41 2011
Picon

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

HI,
            I created a New Application Project and set a Break Point
and was able to debug on device.

            When I set the Mono Android Options

            Linking - None, Use Shared Runtime (false) -- Can Debug
            Linking - None, Use Shared Runtime (true) -- Can Debug

            Linking - SDK Only, Use Shared Runtime (false/true) - Cannot Debug
            Linking - SDK & User Assemblied, Use Shared Runtime
(false/true) - Cannot Debug

            I have only tested this using Device as I don't use the
Emulator (Too Slow). When I changed my application to Linking None and
Use Shared Runtime to false, I was able to step through.

            Hope this helps in finding out what is the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
Sridharan Srinivasan
Alias Sri.

<mailto:monkey@...>>>> wrote:

>>>                    What happens when you try?
>>>
>>>                    - Is there an error?
>>>                    - Does VS go into debug mode?
>>>                    - Does it run fine but doesn't stop at breakpoints?
>>>
>>>                    Jonathan
>>>

>>>                    On 9/29/2011 11:03 AM, Elan Hasson wrote:
>>>
>>>                        Hello List,
>>>
>>>                        Hopefully this is just a configuration issue-- I
>>> am
>>>                unable to
>>>                        debug by
>>>                        placing breakpoints in my C# code and deploying
>>>        to my
>>>                physical
>>>                        devices.
>>>
>>>                        I am using MonoDroid 1.9 and VS2010 on Windows 7.
>>>
>>>                        Prior to using physical devices, I was able to
>>> step
>>>                through (albeit
>>>                        slowly) code using the emulator.
>>>
>>>                        I have the same results when deploying in debug
>>>                configuration to
>>>                        both
>>>                        Droid X and a Galaxy Tab devices.
>>>

>>>                        Your help is appreciated,
>>>

>>>                        Elan

>>>        <mailto:Monodroid <at> lists.__ximian.com
>>>        <mailto:Monodroid@...>>
>>>        <mailto:Monodroid <at> lists. <mailto:Monodroid <at> lists.>__ximi__an.com
>>>        <http://ximian.com>
>>>        <mailto:Monodroid <at> lists.__ximian.com
>>>        <mailto:Monodroid@...>>>
>>>
>>>                        UNSUBSCRIBE INFORMATION:

Sridharan Srinivasan
Alias Sri
Ph:(65)98255785/(65)63922439
www.arshu.com

Jonathan Pobst | 30 Sep 06:53 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

Actually, this helps a lot.  Building packages with linking sends things
down a very different code path.  Linking is generally only used with
Release mode, so debugging with linking isn't tested.

This gives me something to work from.  Thanks for your investigation on
this!

Jonathan

 wrote:

> [...]

Elan Hasson | 30 Sep 14:21 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

I can confirm that Linking was my issue.

On 9/29/2011 11:41 PM, SRI wrote:
> HI,
>              I created a New Application Project and set a Break Point
> and was able to debug on device.
>
>              When I set the Mono Android Options
>
>              Linking - None, Use Shared Runtime (false) -- Can Debug
>              Linking - None, Use Shared Runtime (true) -- Can Debug
>
>              Linking - SDK Only, Use Shared Runtime (false/true) - Cannot Debug
>              Linking - SDK&  User Assemblied, Use Shared Runtime
> (false/true) - Cannot Debug
>
>              I have only tested this using Device as I don't use the
> Emulator (Too Slow). When I changed my application to Linking None and
> Use Shared Runtime to false, I was able to step through.
>
>              Hope this helps in finding out what is the problem ASAP.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sridharan Srinivasan
> Alias Sri.
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Elan Hasson<elan-rDS0Xu1xtkXSUeElwK9/Pw@public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> I seem to have lost the ability to also debug in the emulator.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Jonathan Pobst<monkey-548TsjyrfgTQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> This doesn't explain why you would be able to debug on the emulator. Can
>>> you try it again and see if the .mdb's are being included there?
>>>
>>> Jonathan

Jonathan Pobst | 30 Sep 22:51 2011

Re: [mono-android] Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

Fixed for the next preview.  Thanks again for the detective work, made
it easy to find the bug!

Jonathan

 wrote:

> [...]

sound | 5 Oct 12:48 2011

Re: Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

I have the same problem with debugging after upgrade to 1.9. After build,
package does not contains mdb for gui library, all others i can debug.

Jonathan Pryor | 7 Oct 03:06 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 6:48 AM, sound wrote:
> I have the same problem with debugging after upgrade to 1.9. After build,
> package does not contains mdb for gui library, all others i can debug.

This should have been fixed in yesterday'd 1.9.1 release. Are you on 1.9.1?

Thanks,
 - Jon

sound | 10 Oct 12:06 2011

Re: Unable to debug with physical devices in 1.9

Yes, after update to 1.9.1 all is ok.