Ryan Peters | 3 Jun 17:38 2010

Screencast VP8/WebM support?

I have recently tried out the fantastic GNOME Shell built-in screencast
recorder, and while looking through the gconf settings for it, I was
reminded that it saves videos in Theora format. Since VP8/WebM has
proven to be a much better container and video codec, could it be used
by default or at least available as an option?

On a related note, is it planned/allowed to be able to record audio as
well as video?

     -Ryan Peters
Shane Fagan | 3 Jun 18:06 2010

Re: Screencast VP8/WebM support?

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 10:38 -0500, Ryan Peters wrote:
> I have recently tried out the fantastic GNOME Shell built-in screencast
> recorder, and while looking through the gconf settings for it, I was
> reminded that it saves videos in Theora format. Since VP8/WebM has
> proven to be a much better container and video codec, could it be used
> by default or at least available as an option?
>
> On a related note, is it planned/allowed to be able to record audio as
> well as video?
>
>      -Ryan Peters
For sound you could just open sound recorder and start talking.

--fagan

Owen Taylor | 3 Jun 18:29 2010
Picon

Re: Screencast VP8/WebM support?

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 10:38 -0500, Ryan Peters wrote:
> I have recently tried out the fantastic GNOME Shell built-in screencast
> recorder, and while looking through the gconf settings for it, I was
> reminded that it saves videos in Theora format. Since VP8/WebM has
> proven to be a much better container and video codec, could it be used
> by default or at least available as an option?

The option is there if you tweak the GConf settings. (yeah, writing new
GStreamer pipelines isn't for the faint of heart...)

Adel Gadllah has done some experiments with WebM pipelines with pretty
good success. The codec availability isn't yet to point where we'd want
to make it a default, I think.

> On a related note, is it planned/allowed to be able to record audio as
> well as video?

It should be possible with the right GStreamer pipeline to record the
ambient audio into the recording.

(In general, I think overdubs do make for better screencasts... it's
hard to drive a screencast and talk coherently at the same time.)

- Owen

Ryan Peters | 3 Jun 19:17 2010