Guido De Rosa | 25 Jan 03:56 2009
Picon

mingw+gsl: bug and workaround

Hi!

There's a long-standing problem when building Gnu Scientific Library
(gsl) with MinGW:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gsl/2006-09/msg00004.html

It might be a MinGW bug rather than a GSL one.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gsl/2006-09/msg00005.html

Recently I found a temporary  workaround:

I manually edited a Makefile and changed/expanded  the -O2 option of
gcc with the long list of equivalent options:

        -fdefer-pop \
        -fmerge-constants \
        -fthread-jumps \
        -floop-optimize \

etc. etc.

according to http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.5/gcc/Optimize-Options.html

Surprisingly, after this change (that is supposed to change nothing)
'make check'  finally passed successfully the whole test suite.

More details here:

(Continue reading)

Greg Chicares | 25 Jan 04:02 2009

Re: mingw+gsl: bug and workaround

On 2009-01-25 02:56Z, Guido De Rosa wrote:

> There's a long-standing problem when building Gnu Scientific Library
> (gsl) with MinGW:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gsl/2006-09/msg00004.html

Can you reduce this to a minimal, standalone testcase?

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting
2) HTML/MIME encoded mail
3) Improper quoting
(Continue reading)

Guido De Rosa | 25 Jan 04:20 2009
Picon

2009/1/25 Greg Chicares <gchicares@...>:

> Can you reduce this to a minimal, standalone testcase?

Mmm.. that's not simple! (and it's the reason why I didn't file a
proper bug report).

At least I need some time to review carefully the GSL test code and
extract the "offending" lines...

Thanks for the quick response, though. When I have good news - if any
- I will write again.

Best,
Guido

Danny Smith | 25 Jan 06:05 2009
Picon

Re: mingw+gsl: bug and workaround

> > Can you reduce this to a minimal, standalone testcase?
>
> Mmm.. that's not simple! (and it's the reason why I didn't file a
> roper bug report).

Just add -save-temps to the CFLAGS for the testcase that fails and submit the .i and .s
files.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting
2) HTML/MIME encoded mail
(Continue reading)

Guido De Rosa | 25 Jan 17:00 2009
Picon

2009/1/25 Danny Smith <dannysmith@...>:

> Just add -save-temps to the CFLAGS for the testcase that fails and submit the .i and .s
> files.

Ok.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2535618&group_id=2435&atid=102435

Sorry, the amout of attached files is not minimal, but they are all
required to build test.exe, and they all produce different results
when compiled with --lots-of-equivalent-flags instead of -O2 .

Guido