tarek attia | 26 Oct 12:54 2010
Picon

Speed from GPS

Dear all,

Just in my application I want to get the speed of the android device
using the GPS,so I use the api of location.getspeed()

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/Location.html#getSpeed%28%29

However all the speed I got is just incorrect ,,,and the values are
very different from the actual one !!!!

Any clue on that ???
--
tarek

lloyd | 26 Oct 13:20 2010

RE: Speed from GPS

I recently tried this myself and found it to be correct. The speed given is
in Meters/Sec. I wrote logic to convert to MPH. I then went for a drive in
my car. The displayed speed matched the speedometer in my car from 0 to 65
MPH. I was happy.

Just in my application I want to get the speed of the android device
using the GPS,so I use the api of location.getspeed()

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/Location.html#getSpe
ed%28%29

However all the speed I got is just incorrect ,,,and the values are
very different from the actual one !!!!

Any clue on that ???
--
tarek

Groups "Android Developers" group.
(Continue reading)

Daniel Drozdzewski | 26 Oct 13:23 2010
Picon

Re: Speed from GPS

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:54 AM, tarek attia <tarek.m.attia <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Just in my application I want to get the speed of the android device
> using the GPS,so I use the api of location.getspeed()
>
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/Location.html#getSpeed%28%29
>
> However all the speed I got is just incorrect ,,,and the values are
> very different from the actual one !!!!

How different?

Few things to look at is:
- right permission (i.e. android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION)
- request periodic location from LocationManager
- remember that the speed readings will start coming through only
after GPS fixes on some satellites, which takes time. This is because
you are reading an average speed, not actual speed.
- get the Location object in on LocationListener.onLocationChanged()
to call hasSpeed() and only when that call returns true, read the
speed
- results are in meters per second

Daniel

Emre A. Yavuz | 27 Oct 13:21 2010
Picon

Testing the speed and quality of service of a connection

Dear all,

I am looking for an open source app or code snippet to measure the speed (in both directions) and quality of service (delay, jitter and packet loss; probably via ping) of a connection for academic purposes.

Is anybody aware of such apps, open source projects or code snippets ?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Emre

MB | 26 Oct 18:00 2010
Picon

Re: Speed from GPS

What device/OS are you trying it on?
It works fine on my droid.

On Oct 26, 3:54 am, tarek attia <tarek.m.at... <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Just in my application I want to get the speed of the android device
> using the GPS,so I use the api of location.getspeed()
>
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/Location.html...
>
> However all the speed I got is just incorrect ,,,and the values are
> very different from the actual one !!!!
>
> Any clue on that ???
> --
> tarek

tarek attia | 27 Oct 22:54 2010
Picon

Re: Re: Speed from GPS

I'm doing it on Nexus one

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM, MB <manoj.bist1 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
What device/OS are you trying it on?
It works fine on my droid.

On Oct 26, 3:54 am, tarek attia <tarek.m.at... <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Just in my application I want to get the speed of the android device
> using the GPS,so I use the api of location.getspeed()
>
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/Location.html...
>
> However all the speed I got is just incorrect ,,,and the values are
> very different from the actual one !!!!
>
> Any clue on that ???
> --
> tarek