Hellhound_01@web.de | 11 Apr 11:06 2013
Picon

OpenGLES2 called unimplemented OpenGL ES API

After solving my singleton issues I try to set up my first android rendering process. So far so good, but on several OpenGL calls I got the called unimplemented OpenGL
ES API error message. Based on several google threads, it seems to me that EGL uses OpenGL ES 1 instead of version two. Based on those different threads I've performed the following settings:

Add this lines to manifest:

   <uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00020000"></uses-feature>
   <uses-sdk android:targetSdkVersion="10" android:minSdkVersion="9"></uses-sdk>

My EGL attributes settings:

        int attribs[] = {
            EGL_LEVEL, 0,
            EGL_DEPTH_SIZE, 16,
            EGL_SURFACE_TYPE, EGL_WINDOW_BIT,
            EGL_BLUE_SIZE, 8,
            EGL_GREEN_SIZE, 8,
            EGL_RED_SIZE, 8,
            EGL_NONE,
            EGL_RENDERABLE_TYPE,
            EGL_OPENGL_ES2_BIT
        };

And my EGL contest attributes:

    EGLint contextAttrs[] = {
        EGL_CONTEXT_CLIENT_VERSION, 2,
        EGL_NONE
    };

But the error still exists for some OpenGL calls, i.e.:

  • glGetBufferParameteriv
  • glCreateShader
  • glShaderSource
A look to my logs confirm that OpenGL ES 1 is still used:

brLogger (brOpenGLES2.log) registered
EGL version: 1.4
Driver vendor: Android
OpenGL version: OpenGL ES-CM 1.0
Graphics card : Android PixelFlinger 1.4

I try to run my application only with Eclipse ADT emulators.
Have I forgotten something?

David Turner | 11 Apr 11:36 2013

Re: OpenGLES2 called unimplemented OpenGL ES API

Have you enabled GPU emulation for your AVDs? If not, only GLES 1.x is supported by the emulated system.

You can use "emulator <option> -gpu on" when starting the emulator from the command-line. If you're using the AVD Manager, there should be a way to enable this by editing the configuration.
This also requires a recent system image (at least 4.0.3 IIRC). See the official documentation at http://developer.android.com/tools/devices/emulator.html for more details.

[...]

Hellhound_01@web.de | 11 Apr 12:07 2013
Picon

Re: OpenGLES2 called unimplemented OpenGL ES API

Have you enabled GPU emulation for your AVDs? If not, only GLES 1.x is supported by the emulated system.

Damn, there are too much places to perform GLES2 enabling settings.  Solved!
Thanks for this hint.