Matt Reimer | 15 Mar 22:24 2012

How to get "android update adb" to see my USB vendor id?

So I've made an INF file packaged up and signed, and I can install it using the Android SDK Manager.

When I plug adb the device into a Windows computer and point Windows to the INF file, and edit ~/.android/adb_usb.ini by hand, adb works.

My question is: how do I get the SDK manager to put the vendor id in ~/.android/adb_usb.ini itself? Running "android update adb" doesn't do it.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Ramya Mohan | 26 Mar 08:21 2012
Picon

Re: How to get "android update adb" to see my USB vendor id?

Hi,

The following information is based on my understanding.

Usually android update adb won't do that.
It actually updates the adb to the latest adb version.

on linux machine:

modify the /etc/udev/rules.d/52-android.rules file to add the vendor id to it.

then restart adb,it should work.
I am not sure what happens with windows machine.

Regards,
Ramya.

So I've made an INF file packaged up and signed, and I can install it using the Android SDK Manager.

When I plug adb the device into a Windows computer and point Windows to the INF file, and edit ~/.android/adb_usb.ini by hand, adb works.

My question is: how do I get the SDK manager to put the vendor id in ~/.android/adb_usb.ini itself? Running "android update adb" doesn't do it.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Re: Re: How to get "android update adb" to see my USB vendor id?

Hi sir,
  I suggest this website will solve your problem.

bard.shen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

[...]

Matt Reimer | 27 Mar 23:42 2012

Re: Re: How to get "android update adb" to see my USB vendor id?

Thanks, but what I want to do is to figure out how to have the USB driver package put the vendor id into adb_usb.ini so my users don't have to.

Matt

[...]

  You can download the adb driver on that web page, and compare to the standard adb driver. Then you know how to add your vendor id into adb_usb.ini file.
  May this will help you.

[...]

Matt Reimer | 28 Mar 16:49 2012

Re: Re: How to get "android update adb" to see my USB vendor id?

I already know how to add my vendor id into adb_usb.ini *manually*, but I want "android update adb" to do it so my users don't have to edit adb_usb.ini manually.

Does your usb driver result in "android update adb" adding your vendor id? It doesn't seem like it since your instructions include steps to manually edit adb_usb.ini.

Matt

[...]

Matt Reimer | 26 Mar 15:17 2012

Re: How to get "android update adb" to see my USB vendor id?

The following information is based on my understanding.

Usually android update adb won't do that.
It actually updates the adb to the latest adb version.

This comment in ~/.android/adb_usb.ini suggests otherwise:

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.

Certainly I can edit that by hand, but I'd rather our customers just install our USB driver package and have everything just work.

Matt