Pete Black | 1 Oct 07:00 2008
Picon

Updating n810w (rx-48) to latest firmware

Hi,

I have n810 wimax (rx-48) where I need to upgrade from maemo 0.2008.14-9
to the latest version (4.2008.36-5). However, I can't seem to get my
hands on a frimware binary. I've tried both
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N810.php and the Windows software
update tool from Nokia
(Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard.exe) without any luck.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks,
Pete
Andre Klapper | 1 Oct 13:21 2008

Re: Updating n810w (rx-48) to latest firmware

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 30.09.2008, 22:00 -0700 schrieb Pete Black:
> I have n810 wimax (rx-48) where I need to upgrade from maemo 0.2008.14-9
> to the latest version (4.2008.36-5). However, I can't seem to get my
> hands on a frimware binary. I've tried both
> http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N810.php and the Windows software
> update tool from Nokia
> (Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard.exe) without any luck.
> 
> Has anyone had the same problem?

0.2008.14-9? Where did you get that version (and the device) from?
Your description is vague - What *exactly* was the issue with flashing
it? Any error messages?

andre
--

-- 
Andre Klapper (maemo.org bugmaster)

Ryan Abel | 1 Oct 14:26 2008
Picon

Re: Updating n810w (rx-48) to latest firmware


On Oct 1, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 30.09.2008, 22:00 -0700 schrieb Pete Black:
>> I have n810 wimax (rx-48) where I need to upgrade from maemo  
>> 0.2008.14-9
>> to the latest version (4.2008.36-5). However, I can't seem to get my
>> hands on a frimware binary. I've tried both
>> http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N810.php and the Windows software
>> update tool from Nokia
>> (Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard.exe) without any luck.
>>
>> Has anyone had the same problem?
>
> 0.2008.14-9? Where did you get that version (and the device) from?

Internal release for the RX-48. Clearly this is an internal pre- 
release device.

> Your description is vague - What *exactly* was the issue with flashing
> it? Any error messages?

Well, the issue is that there's no public images available for RX-48.  
The RX-34 and RX-44 images don't have the stuff needed for the RX-48,  
so getting them running on the RX-48 isn't going to be an option like  
it was for the RX-34 back in November with the RX-48 image.

--
(Continue reading)

Pete Black | 1 Oct 17:40 2008
Picon

Re: Updating n810w (rx-48) to latest firmware

Ryan Abel wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:
> 
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 30.09.2008, 22:00 -0700 schrieb Pete Black:
>>> I have n810 wimax (rx-48) where I need to upgrade from maemo  
>>> 0.2008.14-9
>>> to the latest version (4.2008.36-5). However, I can't seem to get my
>>> hands on a frimware binary. I've tried both
>>> http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N810.php and the Windows software
>>> update tool from Nokia
>>> (Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard.exe) without any luck.
>>>
>>> Has anyone had the same problem?
>> 0.2008.14-9? Where did you get that version (and the device) from?
> 
> Internal release for the RX-48. Clearly this is an internal pre- 
> release device.
> 
>> Your description is vague - What *exactly* was the issue with flashing
>> it? Any error messages?
> 
> Well, the issue is that there's no public images available for RX-48.  
> The RX-34 and RX-44 images don't have the stuff needed for the RX-48,  
> so getting them running on the RX-48 isn't going to be an option like  
> it was for the RX-34 back in November with the RX-48 image.

Yes, Ryan got it right. It was given given to a friend of mine directly
by Nokia. As someone else mentioned using the RX-34 and RX-44 images is
(Continue reading)

Mark | 1 Oct 16:57 2008
Picon

Re: Updating n810w (rx-48) to latest firmware

On 9/30/08, Pete Black <theblackpeter <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have n810 wimax (rx-48) where I need to upgrade from maemo 0.2008.14-9
>  to the latest version (4.2008.36-5). However, I can't seem to get my
>  hands on a frimware binary. I've tried both
>  http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N810.php and the Windows software
>  update tool from Nokia
>  (Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard.exe) without any luck.
>
>  Has anyone had the same problem?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Pete
>

If I understand correctly, you're expecting the update tools to
automatically pick up the latest OS image and install it. That's not
what happens. You have to download the OS image yourself and specify
it to tthe flasher.  You can get the OS images at
http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/ - look at the bottom of the
right-hand column under "OS & SDK". You'll need your tablet's 12-digit
product ID. The product ID is printed on the tablet's packaging and on
the label underneath the tablet's battery, and displayed in the
Control Panel (field WLAN MAC address in Control Panel > Device >
About Product).

HTH,
Mark
(Continue reading)

Matt Emson | 1 Oct 17:19 2008
Picon

Re: Updating n810w (rx-48) to latest firmware

Mark wrote:
> If I understand correctly, you're expecting the update tools to
> automatically pick up the latest OS image and install it. 

He is using Windows, so, yeah - the tool should be picking up the latest 
firmware automatically. The issue is more likely related to what Ryan 
was saying about non release hardware.

The Windows tool is actually quite nice. It does have one flaw - it 
makes you connect the tablet whilst it downloads the firmware, which is 
not a good idea IMO. It should allow the firmware to be downloaded first 
- though I'm guessing it's using the tablet to get the MAC address info, 
so maybe it's just a design flaw mascaraing as a questionable practice 
:-) Should probably give the option to manually enter the MAC address, 
or at least, remember the last one, so that the painful wait on battery 
is lessened. (NOTICE: I use a Mac now and have only used the Windows 
flasher circa IT OS 2007, so it might have changed by now..)

M

Pete Black | 1 Oct 17:46 2008
Picon

Re: Updating n810w (rx-48) to latest firmware

Matt Emson wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> If I understand correctly, you're expecting the update tools to
>> automatically pick up the latest OS image and install it. 
> 
> He is using Windows, so, yeah - the tool should be picking up the latest
> firmware automatically. The issue is more likely related to what Ryan
> was saying about non release hardware.

Actually I'm not bound by OS, but no, the tool doesn't seem to find any
update and is asking for a firmware file to be loaded manually. And
getting that has proven to be quite the challenge, as it appears that
this is a pre-release model.

Thanks,
Pete

> The Windows tool is actually quite nice. It does have one flaw - it
> makes you connect the tablet whilst it downloads the firmware, which is
> not a good idea IMO. It should allow the firmware to be downloaded first
> - though I'm guessing it's using the tablet to get the MAC address info,
> so maybe it's just a design flaw mascaraing as a questionable practice
> :-) Should probably give the option to manually enter the MAC address,
> or at least, remember the last one, so that the painful wait on battery
> is lessened. (NOTICE: I use a Mac now and have only used the Windows
> flasher circa IT OS 2007, so it might have changed by now..)
> 
> M
> 

(Continue reading)


Gmane