Carsten Munk | 11 Oct 08:59 2011

Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

Hi all,

As you know, there has been a lot of news regarding MeeGo, introducing
the Tizen project, Mer, etc.

We (as in the steering group) like to query the community for ideas on
what to call the Community Edition in the future. Currently our splash
screens says MeeGo 1.3 Community Edition which will be increasingily
inaccurate as we're working to rebase CE on top of the Mer Core

Some limitations:
* Can't include trademarks or company names, such as MeeGo / Tizen, Nokia, etc.
* Can't include Mer within it as Mer's a core and CE is not "the" Mer
UX (nor is anything)

All suggestions welcome!

BR
Carsten Munk
Willem Liu | 11 Oct 09:18 2011
Picon

Re: Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

MGMT

(MeeGoMerTizen)

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Carsten Munk <carsten@...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you know, there has been a lot of news regarding MeeGo, introducing
> the Tizen project, Mer, etc.
>
> We (as in the steering group) like to query the community for ideas on
> what to call the Community Edition in the future. Currently our splash
> screens says MeeGo 1.3 Community Edition which will be increasingily
> inaccurate as we're working to rebase CE on top of the Mer Core
>
> Some limitations:
> * Can't include trademarks or company names, such as MeeGo / Tizen, Nokia, etc.
> * Can't include Mer within it as Mer's a core and CE is not "the" Mer
> UX (nor is anything)
>
> All suggestions welcome!
>
> BR
> Carsten Munk

Erik Stein | 11 Oct 09:52 2011
Picon

Re: Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

Meer
or
Meer Handset

or
"Meri", would be a joke of second order.

BR
-- erik

Am 11.10.2011 um 08:59 schrieb Carsten Munk:

> Hi all,
>
> As you know, there has been a lot of news regarding MeeGo, introducing
> the Tizen project, Mer, etc.
>
> We (as in the steering group) like to query the community for ideas on
> what to call the Community Edition in the future. Currently our splash
> screens says MeeGo 1.3 Community Edition which will be increasingily
> inaccurate as we're working to rebase CE on top of the Mer Core
>
> Some limitations:
> * Can't include trademarks or company names, such as MeeGo / Tizen, Nokia, etc.
> * Can't include Mer within it as Mer's a core and CE is not "the" Mer
> UX (nor is anything)
>
> All suggestions welcome!

(Continue reading)

Erik Stein | 11 Oct 17:30 2011
Picon

Re: Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

Let me add that "Meer" was a serious suggestion, meaning just "sea" in german, having the same
pronunciation as "mehr" which just means "more". Last but not least it keeps the most distinguishing
element of the "Meego" brand name, the arbitrary double e. All this may sound dadaistic, but I really like
it. Mer/Meer make sense for me.

-- erik

Am 11.10.2011 um 09:52 schrieb Erik Stein:

> Meer
> or
> Meer Handset
>
> or
> "Meri", would be a joke of second order.
>
> BR
> -- erik
>

> Am 11.10.2011 um 08:59 schrieb Carsten Munk:
>
>> All suggestions welcome!

Tim Samoff | 11 Oct 17:49 2011

Re: Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

Hi,

> Let me add that "Meer" was a serious suggestion, meaning just "sea"
> in german, having the same pronunciation as "mehr" which just means
> "more". Last but not least it keeps the most distinguishing element
> of the "Meego" brand name, the arbitrary double e. All this may sound
> dadaistic, but I really like it. Mer/Meer make sense for me.

My only problem with "Meer" is that is sounds/looks like the english
"mere," which means, "being nothing more nor better than."

As a joke: In thinking about how long each of these communities actually
last, how about combining Tizen and Mer int "Timer." :p

(Ok, stop laughing and get back to the serious talk.)

Tim

http://samoff.com

Robin Burchell | 11 Oct 10:02 2011
Picon

Re: Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Carsten Munk <carsten@...> wrote:
> We (as in the steering group) like to query the community for ideas on
> what to call the Community Edition in the future.

I'd like to suggest a name I started using (at least on github, when
mirroring pieces of source off gitorious) the day after the
announcement: chive, or some variant of it, like chive mobile, etc.

The name is supposed to represent energy and life (chives are green,
and it can be pronounced similar to 'jive')

Plus, well, they make things tasty. ;)
t.swindell | 11 Oct 10:23 2011
Picon

Re: Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

I like chive too, can't think of anything else off of the top of my head. But will think on it over today.

Thanks, Tom.On 11/10/2011 9:02 Robin Burchell wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Carsten Munk <carsten@...> wrote:
> We (as in the steering group) like to query the community for ideas on
> what to call the Community Edition in the future.

I'd like to suggest a name I started using (at least on github, when
mirroring pieces of source off gitorious) the day after the
announcement: chive, or some variant of it, like chive mobile, etc.

The name is supposed to represent energy and life (chives are green,
and it can be pronounced similar to 'jive')

Plus, well, they make things tasty. ;)

Re: Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

Hi,
i think that the new name must to be cool for peoples and not for geek.
           Nicola

> As you know, there has been a lot of news regarding MeeGo, introducing
> the Tizen project, Mer, etc.
>
> We (as in the steering group) like to query the community for ideas on
> what to call the Community Edition in the future. Currently our splash
> screens says MeeGo 1.3 Community Edition which will be increasingily
> inaccurate as we're working to rebase CE on top of the Mer Core
>
> Some limitations:
> * Can't include trademarks or company names, such as MeeGo / Tizen, Nokia, etc.
> * Can't include Mer within it as Mer's a core and CE is not "the" Mer
> UX (nor is anything)
>
> All suggestions welcome!
>
> BR
> Carsten Munk
Dave Neary | 11 Oct 11:22 2011

Re: Naming of Community Edition - community discussion

Hi Carsten,

On 10/11/2011 08:59 AM, Carsten Munk wrote:
> Some limitations:
> * Can't include trademarks or company names, such as MeeGo / Tizen, Nokia, etc.
> * Can't include Mer within it as Mer's a core and CE is not "the" Mer
> UX (nor is anything)

Just to be clear, you are looking for a brand separate from Mer, and
separate from MeeGo/Maemo and Tizen, which will represent a stack
targeting smartphones/handsets?

I kind of like Mer as a brand, and Mer Handset has a ring to it.

Cheers,
Dave.

Email: dneary@...
Jabber: nearyd@...