Marco | 18 Dec 17:19 2012
Picon

[oe] oe-core 2.6 kernel support

Hi,
after a lot of time spent trying to create my own oe-core BSP based on 
old recipes I have been using in oe-classic, I found that there is any 
BSP working with oe-core and using old kernels (< 3.0).

Probably for most of you this is obsolete and irrelevant topic because 
everybody is focused on new CPUs (> Armv5)

I avoid to discuss what I tried in older to create an oe-core/yocto BSP 
(using 2.6.30)  and I will focus on an example that anyone can easily 
verify.

Paul had kindly pointed me to the meta-handheld stuff so I tried oe-core 
+ meta-handheld and I built:
  akita -> ok (3.2.32-git)
  hx4700 -> ok (3.0.1)
  h3600 -> fails (2.6.29)

I wonder if it could be a gcc (4.7.2) issue with older kernels and 
moreover if anybody experienced this or has successfully built something 
with old kernels.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
--

-- 
Marco
Otavio Salvador | 18 Dec 17:27 2012
Picon

Re: [oe] oe-core 2.6 kernel support

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Marco <koansoftware <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> after a lot of time spent trying to create my own oe-core BSP based on old
> recipes I have been using in oe-classic, I found that there is any BSP
> working with oe-core and using old kernels (< 3.0).
>
> Probably for most of you this is obsolete and irrelevant topic because
> everybody is focused on new CPUs (> Armv5)
>
> I avoid to discuss what I tried in older to create an oe-core/yocto BSP
> (using 2.6.30)  and I will focus on an example that anyone can easily
> verify.
>
> Paul had kindly pointed me to the meta-handheld stuff so I tried oe-core +
> meta-handheld and I built:
>  akita -> ok (3.2.32-git)
>  hx4700 -> ok (3.0.1)
>  h3600 -> fails (2.6.29)
>
> I wonder if it could be a gcc (4.7.2) issue with older kernels and moreover
> if anybody experienced this or has successfully built something with old
> kernels.
>
> Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

In meta-fsl-arm we support 2.6.35; we did include some patches for
newer GCC and GLibC support on it.

--
Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
(Continue reading)

Phil Blundell | 18 Dec 17:38 2012
Picon

Re: [oe] oe-core 2.6 kernel support

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 17:19 +0100, Marco wrote:
> Paul had kindly pointed me to the meta-handheld stuff so I tried oe-core 
> + meta-handheld and I built:
>   akita -> ok (3.2.32-git)
>   hx4700 -> ok (3.0.1)
>   h3600 -> fails (2.6.29)

In what way does it fail?

p.
Marco | 18 Dec 17:41 2012
Picon

Re: [oe] oe-core 2.6 kernel support

Il 18/12/2012 17:38, Phil Blundell ha scritto:
> On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 17:19 +0100, Marco wrote:
>> Paul had kindly pointed me to the meta-handheld stuff so I tried oe-core
>> + meta-handheld and I built:
>>    akita -> ok (3.2.32-git)
>>    hx4700 -> ok (3.0.1)
>>    h3600 -> fails (2.6.29)
>
> In what way does it fail?
>

Hi Phil,

http://pastebin.com/zYWnj23h

--

-- 
Marco
Marcin Juszkiewicz | 19 Dec 00:57 2012

Re: [oe] oe-core 2.6 kernel support

W dniu 18.12.2012 17:41, Marco pisze:
> Il 18/12/2012 17:38, Phil Blundell ha scritto:
>> On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 17:19 +0100, Marco wrote:
>>> Paul had kindly pointed me to the meta-handheld stuff so I tried oe-core
>>> + meta-handheld and I built:
>>>    akita -> ok (3.2.32-git)
>>>    hx4700 -> ok (3.0.1)
>>>    h3600 -> fails (2.6.29)
>>
>> In what way does it fail?

Check
http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=kernel/linaro-aarch64.git;a=commit;h=05e926ae805a4ef80a2c27194303a21c9ddaf5f8
for solution. It's for arm64 but you can adapt it for arm.

Gmane