robin | 28 Aug 08:54 2012
Picon

[qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

I have a question regarding the flight mode:

if I turn it on (GTA02 qtmoko v47) the icon is shown on the home screen and
calls are not possible anymore, so this is how I expected it to behave, but
the antenna still seems to be on as I see some bars indicating reception and
the power consumption stays the same as without flight mode. there once was 
a paper which looked at different parts of power consumption of the freerunner
and if I remember correctly GSM was one of the major consumers.

Now if I turn flight mode of the GSM apparently cannot connect to the 
station anymore and I have to reboot.

robin
elf Pavlik | 28 Aug 13:22 2012

Re: [qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

Excerpts from robin's message of 2012-08-28 06:54:12 +0000:
> I have a question regarding the flight mode:
> 
> if I turn it on (GTA02 qtmoko v47) the icon is shown on the home screen and
> calls are not possible anymore, so this is how I expected it to behave, but
> the antenna still seems to be on as I see some bars indicating reception and
> the power consumption stays the same as without flight mode. there once was 
> a paper which looked at different parts of power consumption of the freerunner
> and if I remember correctly GSM was one of the major consumers.
> 
> Now if I turn flight mode of the GSM apparently cannot connect to the 
> station anymore and I have to reboot.
> 
> robin

+1 i use my Freerunner without SIM just as PDA+wifi so turn off GSM would make a lot of sense...
Radek Polak | 28 Aug 13:33 2012
Picon

Re: [qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 01:22:29 PM elf Pavlik wrote:

> +1 i use my Freerunner without SIM just as PDA+wifi so turn off GSM would
> make a lot of sense...

You can edit /opt/qtmoko/qpe.env and change:

	export QTOPIA_PHONE=AT

to
	export QTOPIA_PHONE=Dummy

and call modem-poweroff.sh somewhere after boot (/etc/rc.local or qpe.sh).

Btw if you are in airplane mode it should be not possible to use bluetooth and 
wifi.

Regards

Radek
Adrien Dorsaz | 28 Aug 14:00 2012
Picon

Re: [qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

Hi,

> You can edit /opt/qtmoko/qpe.env and change:
> 
> 	export QTOPIA_PHONE=AT
> 
> to
> 	export QTOPIA_PHONE=Dummy
> 
> and call modem-poweroff.sh somewhere after boot (/etc/rc.local or qpe.sh).

it seems that my GTA02 with QtMoko v47 hasn't the script
modem-poweroff.sh. When I make "find -name "*modem*"" I didn't have any
script (but other files that doesn't seem to be executable, except
dsl-modem.agent). Perhaps, I've missed something ?

Regards,
Adrien
Radek Polak | 28 Aug 13:21 2012
Picon

Re: [qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 08:54:12 AM robin wrote:

> I have a question regarding the flight mode:
> 
> if I turn it on (GTA02 qtmoko v47) the icon is shown on the home screen and
> calls are not possible anymore, so this is how I expected it to behave, but
> the antenna still seems to be on as I see some bars indicating reception
> and the power consumption stays the same as without flight mode. 

I dont know much about it, but i think flight mode means that you dont transmit 
any signal, but you can still receive signal strength.

Modems have AT commands for airplane mode. I tried it on GTA04 (AT_OAIR) 
without any effect, maybe i did something wrong...

> there
> once was a paper which looked at different parts of power consumption of
> the freerunner and if I remember correctly GSM was one of the major
> consumers.

You can check yourself - power off the modem and put the phone in suspend and 
watch charge_now:

	http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-August/002853.html

> Now if I turn flight mode of the GSM apparently cannot connect to the
> station anymore and I have to reboot.

No idea here. I dont use airplanes ;-)

(Continue reading)

Benjamin Deering | 28 Aug 13:35 2012

Re: [qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

On 08/28/2012 07:21 AM, Radek Polak wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 08:54:12 AM robin wrote:
>
>> I have a question regarding the flight mode:
>>
>> if I turn it on (GTA02 qtmoko v47) the icon is shown on the home screen and
>> calls are not possible anymore, so this is how I expected it to behave, but
>> the antenna still seems to be on as I see some bars indicating reception
>> and the power consumption stays the same as without flight mode.
> I dont know much about it, but i think flight mode means that you dont transmit
> any signal, but you can still receive signal strength.
>
> Modems have AT commands for airplane mode. I tried it on GTA04 (AT_OAIR)
> without any effect, maybe i did something wrong...
>
>> there
>> once was a paper which looked at different parts of power consumption of
>> the freerunner and if I remember correctly GSM was one of the major
>> consumers.
> You can check yourself - power off the modem and put the phone in suspend and
> watch charge_now:
>
> 	http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-August/002853.html
>
>> Now if I turn flight mode of the GSM apparently cannot connect to the
>> station anymore and I have to reboot.
> No idea here. I dont use airplanes ;-)
>
> Regards
>
(Continue reading)

robin | 28 Aug 13:44 2012
Picon

Re: [qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

hi ben,

could you please give some more detail on how do you set it in woods mode?
and does the gsm power on afterwards correctly or do you have to restart the
phone?

thanks

robin

ps: here is the link to the paper on powerconsumption of the freerunner:

http://www.ssrg.nicta.com.au/publications/papers/Carroll_Heiser_10.pdf
Benjamin Deering | 28 Aug 14:21 2012

Re: [qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

On 08/28/2012 07:44 AM, robin wrote:
> hi ben,
>
> could you please give some more detail on how do you set it in woods mode?
> and does the gsm power on afterwards correctly or do you have to restart the
> phone?
>
> thanks
>
> robin
>
>
> ps: here is the link to the paper on powerconsumption of the freerunner:
>
> http://www.ssrg.nicta.com.au/publications/papers/Carroll_Heiser_10.pdf
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openmoko community mailing list
> community <at> lists.openmoko.org
> http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/community
>
I use SHR most of the time, but the same thing should apply.  I just 
meant to change the GUI to call 'airplane mode' 'woods mode' because my 
phones go in the woods and I don't fly very much at all.  I suspect 
something is wrong with airplane mode on both qtmoko and SHR for gta04 
if airplane mode doesn't use less power.  Transmitting would be the 
biggest power draw and even if the modem remained powered up power 
consumption should drop unless it is transmitting.

(Continue reading)

NeilBrown | 28 Aug 14:55 2012
Picon

Re: [qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:21:20 -0400 Benjamin Deering
<ben_deering <at> swissmail.org> wrote:

> On 08/28/2012 07:44 AM, robin wrote:
> > hi ben,
> >
> > could you please give some more detail on how do you set it in woods mode?
> > and does the gsm power on afterwards correctly or do you have to restart the
> > phone?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > robin
> >
> >
> > ps: here is the link to the paper on powerconsumption of the freerunner:
> >
> > http://www.ssrg.nicta.com.au/publications/papers/Carroll_Heiser_10.pdf
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Openmoko community mailing list
> > community <at> lists.openmoko.org
> > http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/community
> >
> I use SHR most of the time, but the same thing should apply.  I just 
> meant to change the GUI to call 'airplane mode' 'woods mode' because my 
> phones go in the woods and I don't fly very much at all.  I suspect 
> something is wrong with airplane mode on both qtmoko and SHR for gta04 
> if airplane mode doesn't use less power.  Transmitting would be the 
(Continue reading)


Gmane