oneHappyCanuck | 25 Jul 19:12 2013
Picon

Suitability of a knockout/AMD/socketIo app for phoneGap?

I have an existing CSS/JS based webapp that I'd like to phone-gap to Android, but unless I'm missing something somewhere (and I assume that I am) I can't find a step by step document describing how to migrate an existing webapp to PhoneGap.

I'm prepared to invest the time to sort it out but before I do so I' was hoping to get some thumbs up/down type of feedback about the prospects for my app? It is knockoutJs based and most of the content is rendered client side using externally loaded templates. Viewmodels are also loaded dynamically using AMD, and are dynamically updated using socket.io. The presentation makes heavy use of CSS, and I need access to camera, mic, GPS, accelerometer, network.. There is not much in the way of static assets - everything comes from the server over http and/or JSON or ultimately from localStorage then server.

Can anyone comment if this mix would play well with PhoneGap?

Tq,

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

To compile in the cloud, check out build.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Dale Shaw | 25 Jul 22:17 2013

Re: Suitability of a knockout/AMD/socketIo app for phoneGap?

oneHappyCanuck,

I'm not well informed on how to establish persistent socket connections in a Phonegap/Cordova app, but I think I ran across it being done (or attempting to be done) on rare occasions here in the group.  Theoretically, if it can be done in a web app, it can be done using Phonegap, and sometimes easier because of the lack of cross-site restrictions we usually have to deal with on the web (its essentially a localhost site).

Having said that, you'll find that many simply load data (and I presume assets) via Ajax calls, which works quite well as long as you have good network state detection and associated error handling - but of course you'll have to revisit your design if you want to go that route.

Best of luck!
[...]

Dale Shaw | 25 Jul 22:25 2013

[...]

Dale | 25 Jul 22:35 2013

Re: Suitability of a knockout/AMD/socketIo app for phoneGap?

oneHappyCanuck,

I'm not well informed on how to establish persistent socket connections in a Phonegap/Cordova app, but I think I ran across it being done (or attempting to be done) on rare occasions here in the group.  Theoretically, if it can be done in a web app, it can be done using Phonegap, and sometimes easier because of the lack of cross-site restrictions we usually have to deal with on the web (its essentially a localhost site).

Having said that, you'll find that many simply load data (and I presume assets) via Ajax calls, which works quite well as long as you have good network state detection and associated error handling - but of course you'll have to revisit your design if you want to go that route.

Best of luck!

Dale