rob | 27 Aug 13:59 2008

How does one read a sysplan file?

I had my bp send me a sysplan file.  I just want to look at it, not import
it into my hmc or something.
Looking at it via notepad or wordpad is junk.  I figure I should use
http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/tools/systemplanningtool/download.shtml
However, my bp also sent me a text printout from the spt (System Planning
Tool).
It is worth downloading the spt, or just use the text?

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

Lukas Beeler | 27 Aug 14:27 2008

Re: How does one read a sysplan file?

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:59 PM,  <rob@...> wrote:
> I had my bp send me a sysplan file.  I just want to look at it, not import
> it into my hmc or something.
> Looking at it via notepad or wordpad is junk.  I figure I should use
> http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/tools/systemplanningtool/download.shtml
> However, my bp also sent me a text printout from the spt (System Planning
> Tool).
> It is worth downloading the spt, or just use the text?

Your BP should also be able to provide you with a PDF Printout of the
graphics displayed by the SPT.

I'm a visual person, so i prefer the nice output from SPT/HMC/IVM, but
it's not like there is more information on those sheets.

You could use SPT to test out smaller changes on the config in itself, though.

--
Read my blog at http://projectdream.org

rob | 27 Aug 15:04 2008

Re: How does one read a sysplan file?

One thing I don't like about the text is if you have multiple frames and
you see
0595-5
You might assume that means the 0595 that is frame 5.  The BP admits that
this is confusing and that the real sysplan has comments that do not
appear, even if he turns on show comments, when printing this simple text
version.
Assuming it was frame 5 had me on the phone with the bp saying that it was
missing stuff.  So it would have saved us a conference call.

Rob Berendt

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Lukas Beeler" <lukas.beeler@...>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@...
08/27/2008 08:46 AM
Please respond to
Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@...>

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@...>
cc

Subject
(Continue reading)

Jones, John (US | 27 Aug 15:48 2008

RE: How does one read a sysplan file?

In SPT you can rename the frames; I use their serial number.  Makes
things a lot easier.

SPT runs as a service & the interface is via your browser.  IE seems to
work a little better that Firefox.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Sr. Analyst, Global Information Security