John Allen | 22 Sep 20:28 2008

Mapping a drive with Vista prior to V5R4

Anyone had success in Mapping a drive with Vista Business
and V5R1 - V5R3

We can't seem to get a mapped drive, any pointers in what we
need to do,?

(On our V5R1 or our V5R3 boxes)

Thanks

John

Jim Franz | 23 Sep 04:10 2008
Picon

Re: Mapping a drive with Vista prior to V5R4

have not tried w/Vista, but you can use a v5r4 client w/right svc pack on a
v5r3 box. The server pgms in the OS don't change so much.
If you have software support on a v5r3 box, should be entitled to the v5r4
software including iSeries Access.
Jim Franz
> Anyone had success in Mapping a drive with Vista Business
> and V5R1 - V5R3
>

> We can't seem to get a mapped drive, any pointers in what we
> need to do,?
>
> (On our V5R1 or our V5R3 boxes)
>

> Thanks
>

> John

(Continue reading)

Jones, John (US | 23 Sep 13:50 2008

RE: Mapping a drive with Vista prior to V5R4

It is the same as in XP.  In Windows Explorer do Tools - Map network drive. Select the drive letter and enter
\\iseries_name\shared_folder in the Folder field.  Check Reconnect at logon and select 'different user
name' if you don't sync Windows & iSeries ID/passwords.

I just did in from my Vista Ultimate laptop over VPN to one of our machines.

Alternately, in Explorer you can enter \\iseries_name\root in the address bar, enter credentials if
prompted, and let it populate the list.  Once the icons show as network folders (they have a little network
pipe overlaying the folder), you can right-click and Map network drive from there.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Sr. Analyst, Global Information Security