Paul Jackson | 23 Jun 04:16 2010
Picon

Problems using WRKDBF and UNDEL2 to retrieve deleted records (6.1)

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me as I have a problem that has me
baffled.

I have a physical file that contains deleted records,  I need to undelete
the deleted records in order to find some evidence for a legal case.  What
happens is that when I try and undelete in WRKDBF (option 8), all that is
showed is blanks and zeros for the fields.  If I create a duplicate of the
file add some records, delete some and try and undelete, it works fine, so
it doesn't seem to be a problem with the file layout itself.

I have made sure that I have the latest version of the UNDEL2 utility and
the UNDELM program in WRKDBF.

The production file I need to undelete from has over 143 million records,
i'm wondering if that has something to do with why the deleted records won't
undelete.

Any help or suggestions in retrieving these records would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
-Paul

Crispin Bates | 23 Jun 14:43 2010
Picon

Re: Problems using WRKDBF and UNDEL2 to retrieve deleted records (6.1)

I saw this behavior when attempting to recover deleted record many many
moons ago. The delete was performed using SQL via STRSQL. I have to wonder
if the Query Engine decided that it was easier (i.e. more efficient) to set
the data to defaults, or some such, at the same time as setting the delete
flag. We were unable to recover the data using the delete flag in the file,
and had to recover via other means (backups, and reprocessing).

> Hello, I am hoping someone can help me as I have a problem that has me
> baffled.
>
> I have a physical file that contains deleted records,  I need to undelete
> the deleted records in order to find some evidence for a legal case.  What
> happens is that when I try and undelete in WRKDBF (option 8), all that is
> showed is blanks and zeros for the fields.  If I create a duplicate of the
> file add some records, delete some and try and undelete, it works fine, so
> it doesn't seem to be a problem with the file layout itself.
>
> I have made sure that I have the latest version of the UNDEL2 utility and
> the UNDELM program in WRKDBF.
>
> The production file I need to undelete from has over 143 million records,
> i'm wondering if that has something to do with why the deleted records
> won't
> undelete.
(Continue reading)

rob | 23 Jun 16:14 2010

Re: Problems using WRKDBF and UNDEL2 to retrieve deleted records (6.1)

What do you have in your journal receivers?

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073