Chris Bipes | 27 Oct 00:17 2010

LPAR and Disk Sharing

I have an 8203-E4A with one disk controller and 20 drives, 10 in each of
the external disk drawers.  Currently 100% of the hardware is dedicated
to the only partition with exception of the processor.  We have 2.00
units and only are licensed for 1.00 so that is all the partition is
using.  I am thinking of creating a new partition on this system.  I
will need to add memory but I have more disk arms than I  need and we
are at 35% of the storage space used.  So I would like to use some of
the space across the pool of disk arms for the new partition.

Is this possible?  What additional hardware will I need to partition
this box?  Most likely I will need memory and Ethernet ports.  Can I
share the disk controller and drives?

--
Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services

Dan Hogan | 27 Oct 01:32 2010

RE: LPAR and Disk Sharing

Hi Chris,

The answer is, Maybe no additional hardware.  We have a 8203-E4A.  We
have two active processors, but IBM i 6.1 is licensed on only one. We
were able to run another IBM i guest partition, on the one processor,
and AIX and Linux on the other.  The cool part is that the Disk for the
guest partition appears to the host partition and files in the IFS and
are access though virtual controllers.

Dan...

> I have an 8203-E4A with one disk controller and 20 drives, 10
> in each of the external disk drawers.  Currently 100% of the
> hardware is dedicated to the only partition with exception of
> the processor.  We have 2.00 units and only are licensed for
> 1.00 so that is all the partition is using.  I am thinking of
> creating a new partition on this system.  I will need to add
> memory but I have more disk arms than I  need and we are at
> 35% of the storage space used.  So I would like to use some
> of the space across the pool of disk arms for the new partition.
>
> Is this possible?  What additional hardware will I need to
> partition this box?  Most likely I will need memory and
> Ethernet ports.  Can I share the disk controller and drives?
>
> --
> Chris Bipes
> Director of Information Services
(Continue reading)

Pete Massiello | 27 Oct 02:26 2010

RE: LPAR and Disk Sharing

You don't need anything if you have an HMC.

Create a Virtual IBM i partition, hosted by your existing IBM i partition,
It is easy, and we do it all the time.  I can build one from scratch to
i5/OS in about 3 hours.  You can use your Ethernet HEA on the motherboard
and each one of those ports is actually a switch, so depending on the value
you set you won't need any additional Ethernet.  If the DVD is owned by the
hosting partition, it can virtualize and "share" the DVD with the other
hosted partitions without any additional hardware, even if the DVD is on the
same controller that the internal Disk in the CEC is on.  Use the HMC for
the console, and the only issue is a Tape controller and tape device.  If
you have a 5901 IO Adapter with a SAS tape drive or FC adapter, you can move
this adapter between partitions on your Power6 &/or Power7 machine.  All you
need to be running is 6.1 as a minimum os on both the hosting or hosted
partitions (Great for creating a 7.1 partition, and testing out 7.1 while
you are on 6.1).

	Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions
http://www.itechsol.com

Add iTech Solutions on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126431824120
Add iTech Solutions on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2206093

Can this configuration support 5.4 as a hosted partition?

Craig Pelkie

> You don't need anything if you have an HMC.
>
> Create a Virtual IBM i partition, hosted by your existing IBM i partition,
> It is easy, and we do it all the time.  I can build one from scratch to
> i5/OS in about 3 hours.  You can use your Ethernet HEA on the motherboard
> and each one of those ports is actually a switch, so depending on the
> value
> you set you won't need any additional Ethernet.  If the DVD is owned by
> the
> hosting partition, it can virtualize and "share" the DVD with the other
> hosted partitions without any additional hardware, even if the DVD is on
> the
> same controller that the internal Disk in the CEC is on.  Use the HMC for
> the console, and the only issue is a Tape controller and tape device.  If
> you have a 5901 IO Adapter with a SAS tape drive or FC adapter, you can
> move
> this adapter between partitions on your Power6 &/or Power7 machine.  All
> you
(Continue reading)

Pete Massiello | 27 Oct 05:00 2010

RE: LPAR and Disk Sharing

No, it has to be either 6.1 or 7.1 as either host or the hosted partition.

	Pete

--
Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions
http://www.itechsol.com

Add iTech Solutions on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126431824120
Add iTech Solutions on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2206093

iTech Solutions because IBM i (AS/400s) didn't come with System
Administrators