CRPence | 6 May 22:13 2011
Picon

Re: Warning - Firefox v4 not compatible with HMC 7.7.1

On Fri 05-May-2011 12:24 , Bryce Martin wrote:
> I think that it is ridiculous that IBM creates software that is
> stomped by a browser upgrade.... even IE 8... which has been out
> since when? March 19, 2009.  That is right... OVER 2 YEARS AGO!!!!!
>
> It's sloppy at best, but negligent of its customers and products at
> worst. How do you not fix something browser based in over 2 years?
> My mind boggles when I see this crap from them... they are better
> than this, or at least they should be.  Thank goodness I don't need
> to use an HMC, or might really be mad :D

   As described... Seems to me that the browser would be considered to
be the problem since their upgraded code is no longer able to process
what apparently was being processed previously without any difficulty
before the upgrade.?  That is to say, when a browser is upgraded and
then directed to the same link which is accessing\performing the same
un-upgraded code\actions that existed since before the browser was
upgraded, then how would the fault be the unchanged versus the changed
feature?  Why would IBM be expected to ensure that every browser upgrade
was still properly rendering their code\output since a level already
verified to be supported?  Should IBM ensure every release upgrade to a
5250 emulator should remain compatible with their previous version of
that non-IBM 5250 emulator?

   While I suggested Rob should get a DCR or APAR to track, that is only
because the IBM response suggested they had submitted a "request to
development to get this repaired".  I figured that response implied both
that IBM admitted some culpability and that a resolution to the request
could be tracked [since code changes would come only from one of those
two features, both of which have tracking identifiers].
(Continue reading)

Dennis Lovelady | 6 May 23:34 2011

RE: Warning - Firefox v4 not compatible with HMC 7.7.1

> <snip> ... [W]hen a browser is upgraded and
> then directed to the same link which is accessing\performing the same
> un-upgraded code\actions that existed since before the browser was
> upgraded, then how would the fault be the unchanged versus the changed
> feature?  Why would IBM be expected to ensure that every browser
> upgrade
> was still properly rendering their code\output since a level already
> verified to be supported?

Here's one possibility:  A browser definitely identifies its version and so
on in the process of establishing the HTTP connection.  If (and this is
certainly a hypothetical, but ... if) the version identified sparks some
errant reaction by the server side, then yes, the server is absolutely at
fault.

Paradigms have changed.  One cannot assume that just because a browser
version is the only change, that the difficulty is absolutely the fault of
the browser.  The issue could be errant code that's been sitting like
tuberculosis in some corner just waiting for a certain victim to pass by.

Dennis Lovelady
CONGRESS.SYS corrupted.  Reboot Washington DC <Y/N>?

(Continue reading)

M. Lazarus | 7 May 00:19 2011

Re: Warning - Firefox v4 not compatible with HMC 7.7.1

Chuck,

1) One possibility is that the code was incorrect before, but the
earlier versions were more forgiving.  Does the CPYTOIMPF CCSID mess
ring a bell?

2) Even if it's the new version of the browser's fault, I think that
we can agree that IE and FF are the the de facto standard in browsers:
Firefox is the leader with about 42%, IE and Chrome in the 24-26%
range, Safari 4% and Opera 2.5%.

Source:

<http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp>http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

  Once the standard has changed, other vendors need to get up to
speed and become compatible, even if "it's not the vendor's
fault."  A company the size of IBM has a responsibility to its
clients to keep up with such changes.  IMHO, being two years behind
is unacceptable.  IE8 was released on March 19, 2009.  Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#Internet_Explorer_8

  -mark

At 5/6/2011 04:13 PM, you wrote:
>On Fri 05-May-2011 12:24 , Bryce Martin wrote:
> > I think that it is ridiculous that IBM creates software that is
> > stomped by a browser upgrade.... even IE 8... which has been out
> > since when? March 19, 2009.  That is right... OVER 2 YEARS AGO!!!!!

(Continue reading)

rob | 9 May 13:04 2011

Re: Warning - Firefox v4 not compatible with HMC 7.7.1

Perhaps the problem is that many browsers used to allow poorly coded
websites to work and the statute of limitations has ran out on that and
now they are cracking down?

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko
Dept 1600

On Fri 05-May-2011 12:24 , Bryce Martin wrote:
> I think that it is ridiculous that IBM creates software that is
> stomped by a browser upgrade.... even IE 8... which has been out
> since when? March 19, 2009.  That is right... OVER 2 YEARS AGO!!!!!
>
> It's sloppy at best, but negligent of its customers and products at
> worst. How do you not fix something browser based in over 2 years?
> My mind boggles when I see this crap from them... they are better
> than this, or at least they should be.  Thank goodness I don't need
(Continue reading)

Bryce Martin | 9 May 14:04 2011

Re: Warning - Firefox v4 not compatible with HMC 7.7.1

You've gotta be kidding me.  IE6 and IE7 were horrible when it comes to
standards support.  If a site is developed and passes W3C compatibility
then you're not going to have a problem with any browser.  So, if they
haven't make the html W3C compatible then they haven't done all they can
do.  I don't know what the exact issue is, but I'm guessing that firefox
now handles something properly according to standards that magically
worked by accident before.  My guess is that the HTML is only slightly
off.  And me thinks, that someone could look at the stie in Firebug and
figure out the malformation pretty quickly.  Like I said, I don't need
this or have access to it.

This is 2011, if you're going to write something for the web, and it
breaks, its probably not the fault of the browser vendor (alone).  The
fact is that they are being neglectful on keeping their stuff up to date.
How friggin hard is it to run your web stuff through the latest browsers?
Even one that has been out for over 2 years (IE 8 - much better than IE
7).

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

CRPence <CRPbottle@...>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@...
05/06/2011 04:13 PM
Please respond to
Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@...>

jmmckee | 9 May 16:07 2011

Re: Warning - Firefox v4 not compatible with HMC 7.7.1

Don't know how much this adds, if anything.

I receive emails from a television station.  The emails include links to more details.  All of the links are
bad.  Whatever software they are using (Microsoft maybe?) always includes the closing ">" character as
pasrt of the link.  Always wrong.  The opening "<" is not included.  Perhaps that works in IE.  Don't know, as I
don't use IE.  I have attempted to communicate to this station the exact issue.  No response.  This isn't a
browser issue.  With no knowledge of HMC, I would agree with Bryce and others that bad coding was used in HMC
that was always broken and nobody cared to look.

John McKee

> You've gotta be kidding me.  IE6 and IE7 were horrible when it comes to
> standards support.  If a site is developed and passes W3C compatibility
> then you're not going to have a problem with any browser.  So, if they
> haven't make the html W3C compatible then they haven't done all they can
> do.  I don't know what the exact issue is, but I'm guessing that firefox
> now handles something properly according to standards that magically
> worked by accident before.  My guess is that the HTML is only slightly
> off.  And me thinks, that someone could look at the stie in Firebug and
> figure out the malformation pretty quickly.  Like I said, I don't need
> this or have access to it.
>
> This is 2011, if you're going to write something for the web, and it
> breaks, its probably not the fault of the browser vendor (alone).  The
(Continue reading)

Jack Kingsley | 9 May 16:44 2011
Picon

Re: Warning - Firefox v4 not compatible with HMC 7.7.1

looks like a .JSP page??

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM, jmmckee <jmmckee@...> wrote:

> Don't know how much this adds, if anything.
>
> I receive emails from a television station.  The emails include links to
> more details.  All of the links are bad.  Whatever software they are using
> (Microsoft maybe?) always includes the closing ">" character as pasrt of the
> link.  Always wrong.  The opening "<" is not included.  Perhaps that works
> in IE.  Don't know, as I don't use IE.  I have attempted to communicate to
> this station the exact issue.  No response.  This isn't a browser issue.
>  With no knowledge of HMC, I would agree with Bryce and others that bad
> coding was used in HMC that was always broken and nobody cared to look.
>
> John McKee

rob | 9 May 17:12 2011

Re: Warning - Firefox v4 not compatible with HMC 7.7.1

Another example,

Infoprint Server generated pdf's for years.  Then one day you could no
longer browse them with the latest version of Adobe.  A rather major
annoyance for pdf files.  That version of Adobe was not as forgiving on
errors.  IBM had to scramble to quickly generate a ptf to fix Infoprint
Server, and did.  Lots of grumbling, but they got the job done.  Might
have been one of these ptf's:  SI18598, SI25245.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko
Dept 1600